PDA

View Full Version : Free Wish

Irk
2014-01-22, 11:45 PM
In this really cool thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292690), unseenmage compiled various interesting plants. one, the wishfern, grants a wish as cast by a level 20 sorcerer. I immediately thought of psionic minor creation. If you boosted profession (gardener), could you essentially get wishes for 1 PP?

Nettlekid
2014-01-22, 11:52 PM
I don't have access to the Dragon Mag in question, but I'm willing to bet that the aforementioned Wish is some kind of magical effect. Y'know, having CL 20 and all that. (Psionic) Minor Creation specifies nonmagical.

Erik Vale
2014-01-22, 11:56 PM
For a moment I was going to say that has to be the most broken dragonmag material ever, but I see that without powergaming it would implement fine.

As a psion, sign me up to be smacked by the dm with the heaviest book he has on hand.

However, I more see genies using their creation abilities to grant themselves wishes. Which actually explains their wealth beyond long lives and lots of work since they cant give themselves and other genies [I think] wishes.

Edit: Oh, I missed this being a question. I'll go with the guy above me. If it's a magical plant, no, if it isn't, then sign me up to get smacked across the face by a DM.

Irk
2014-01-23, 12:12 AM
Hmm, it is strongly implied that they're magical. Perhaps either enhance wildshape (spell) to become one and get transplanted yourself, or use the lucid dreaming skill to make some.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-23, 12:20 AM
Neither of those work. The Wishfern's ability is explicitly magical, and Enhance Wildshape only give you a plant's extraordinary abilities. Lucid Dreaming doesn't allow you to create real objects. Even if it works...enjoy your imaginary wish that disappears when you wake up.

Nettlekid
2014-01-23, 12:20 AM
Hmm, it is strongly implied that they're magical. Perhaps either enhance wildshape (spell) to become one and get transplanted yourself, or use the lucid dreaming skill to make some.

Well, the Lucid Dreaming would make a dream one, which would have dream Wishes and dream effects that all go away when you wake up, since Manual of the Planes states nothing that is lost or gained in a dream is lost or gained in reality. Because it's a dream. (Discounting if you chuck a dude into the Dreamheart and they never wake up.)

Enhance Wild Shape is certainly getting close, but unless you're okay with turning into the wish-containing blossom/seed/whatever thing yourself, and thus using it up uses YOU up (I wouldn't recommend it), you'd have to turn into the plant that bears the seed. Wild Shape is based on Polymorph, which is based on Alter Self, which states that any piece removed from you reverts to its original form. Pluck the seed from the plant that is you, and it'll pop back to being a finger or something. So no good there. Also, since Polymorph and thus Wild Shape don't bestow Su abilities or SLAs, I think a DM would likely say that the seeds you bear don't have the magic in them either.

EDIT: Ach, ninja'd on both counts, though I feel okay in that I was thorough.

Rubik
2014-01-23, 12:21 AM
However, I more see genies using their creation abilities to grant themselves wishes. Which actually explains their wealth beyond long lives and lots of work since they cant give themselves and other genies [I think] wishes.Genies can't give themselves Wishes. It's in the MM entry.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 12:33 AM
Form of awakened wishfern-> ice assassin of awakened wishfern!

Though I'm not sure that actually accomplishes anything. I'm just fond of making things ridiculous solving problems with ice assassin.