PDA

View Full Version : Questions pertaining to NPC classes

Pinkcrusade
2014-01-22, 11:59 PM
Hello, Playground.

So, one of my players wants to be a Death Master. I was looking through Dragon Compendium (as that is where it was featured (technically)) and I leaned that it was an NPC class! I haven't encountered anything called a "NPC class asides from Adept and such -- does this label dictate that it is a class unfit for play by a PC? That is what I ascertained from reading.

Thanks!

Eonir
2014-01-23, 12:15 AM
I don't have that magazine, but The Tier List (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11714.0) claims it's tier 2, so regardless, you shouldn't have a problem.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-23, 12:18 AM
Where are you getting that it's an NPC class? It very clearly words it as a PC class, complete with such wording as "With your DM's permission" regarding certain class abilities.

Pinkcrusade
2014-01-23, 08:13 AM
The Death Master originated in an article called "For NPCs Only!". I also got the idea that it was an NPC class because if I recall correctly, the Dragon Compendium stated in the start of the "Classes" chapter that it was an NPC class and should only be used for villains.

Psyren
2014-01-23, 08:51 AM
Their fluff has them pretty firmly dedicated to Orcus and evil as all-get-out. It's not so much that they're an NPC class, as they aren't suitable for most campaigns since they would have a harder time fitting into a good party.

Answering your question depends on knowing the makeup of your players' party. If there's a paladin or exalted character in there then mixing them may not be a good idea.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-23, 02:22 PM
What Psyren said. And I read the Dragon Compendium when I first replied, and 'NPC' never comes up in any way regarding the Death Master.

If it was ever marked for NPCs, it's probably because WOTC and Paizo don't like encouraging evil PCs. Mechanically, though, it's a PC class, as it can hold its own with most PC choices and it's not an obvious piece of garbage like a Warrior or a Commoner or something.

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-23, 02:28 PM
What the Dragon Compendium actually says is that it was "originally intended" to be an NPC class meant for villains because of its "loathsome abilities and tight connection to the dreaded Orcus." That doesn't mean that PCs can't take it; sometimes PCs play the villains, after all.

In fact, the normal NPC classes from the DMG are not barred to PCs, either. You could certainly play an Expert or an Aristocrat in a low-powered game. Those classes are designated as NPC classes because they're just worse than the standard classes and so are used to represent more normal folk rather than heroic adventurers.