PDA

View Full Version : Template Stacking

RegalKain
2014-01-23, 01:59 PM
Ok so, I realize this has probably been re-hashed a half-dozen times, if so I apologize I couldn't find any particular info about this setup. I saw Incarnate Construct, I am aware that it works with Warforged, I am also aware Warforged don't quite qualify for ALOT of Templates, because they are counted as Constructs, I was curious however to know if this Template chain worked as I thought it did.

Dustform Creature (Page 161 of Sandstorm) states it can be applied to any living creature (Which Warforged does qualify for.) It then changes your type to Construct. Giving it +4Str -2Dex, nullifying Con and Int scores.

Apply Incarnate Construct(Page 121 Savage Species)- Which can be applied to any construct with a generally humanoid form (Which a Dustform Warforged qualifies for) it loses most everything else from Dustform keeps the +3 NA, the Con and Int are rolled back into your character as 4d6 Drop the lowest, your type changes to Humanoid.

Apply Proto-Creature (Page 80 Bestiary of Krynn) this is an inherited template that can be added to any of a long list of creatures, one of which is Humanoid. (Which we now qualify for as a Incarnate Construct) NA improves by 3 (Giving us a total of +6) it gets some other oddball things and it's abilities are +4Str +2Con -2Int -4Cha

So with Warforged in there as well, your total ability adjustments would be +8Str -2Dex +4Con -2Int -2Wis -6Cha? And the only special qualities you'd have are that of the Proto-creature, with an effective LA of 0.

On this same line of topic, can't you use Dustform to force other races into qualifying for Incarnate Construct? Let's take a Krynn Minotaur for example.

Dustform(Changing your type to Construct)-Incarnate Construct this would give you +8Str -2Dex -2Int -2Charisma, right? Then if oyu want to throw on another LA0 Template (Let's use Proto-Creature again) you'd have +12Str -4Dex +2Con -4Int -6Charisma.

Sorry for the very long post, I'm just making sure I have template stacking right, if I do, this seems like it could be really crazy (Especially for hulk smash types.) You could argueably start with a 30Str using the above and assuming an 18 base Str, your Charisma would be in the pits, but a lot of Melee builds dump it anyway.

Forrestfire
2014-01-23, 02:03 PM
You'd have to apply Proto-Creature before dustform, because it's inherited, but I think that works.

RegalKain
2014-01-23, 03:06 PM
Ahhh right right, thanks again for the insight! Just trying to understand templates and stuff a bit more.

Urpriest
2014-01-23, 03:53 PM
What's the LA on proto-creature?

OldTrees1
2014-01-23, 03:56 PM
Dustform Creature is LA- as a result of setting Int to -. The final ECL of your incarnated construct is unknown.

RegalKain
2014-01-23, 04:16 PM
What's the LA on proto-creature?

Same as base creature.

Dustform Creature is LA- as a result of setting Int to -. The final ECL of your incarnated construct is unknown.

Despite the book saying it's LA is base creature +2? That's odd, where is the rule, or source you're finding that rule in please.

MeiLeTeng
2014-01-23, 04:49 PM
Yeah, Dustform Creature's template definitely says LA is Base Creature +2

OldTrees1
2014-01-23, 05:43 PM
Despite the book saying it's LA is base creature +2? That's odd, where is the rule, or source you're finding that rule in please.

Huh. I was AFB so I did not know it had a printed LA.

Mindless Creatures being unable to be PCs is from Savage Species.
(Minimum requirements to be a creature is Wis 1+, Cha 1+ from DMG. Savage Species makes PCs be required to have Int 3+)

So Incarnate Construct does enable you to make a PC out of Dustform since it give you an Int score.