PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a class/role for an upcomming campaign..

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-23, 02:06 PM
Hello Playgrounders..

Tomorrow we starting a new campaign..
the DM is pretty new (1st time DMing) but has a fair experience as player, and he is going to run as a premade campaign.

It would be 3,5E.. because he is new i don't want to discourage him by using cheese and OP things like psionics, ToB and homebrew.. everything else is ok.

The party so far has:
warmage , rogue, druid (healbot) & a cleric that will serve as front line warrior.

Now.. since i don't want to step on any toes, i thought a good choice could be a classic ranger or a bow oriented fighter..
but.. i m like 70% sure that this campaign wont go past 4-5 sessions so i d like something more.. hmm.. challenging(for me,not the DM) and useful.

we will start at lvl1 (and i think with book basic gear) and probably reach lvl4-5.

so.. what would be a good choice considering the above?

wayfare
2014-01-23, 02:09 PM
Hello Playgrounders..

Tomorrow we starting a new campaign..
the DM is pretty new (1st time DMing) but has a fair experience as player, and he is going to run as a premade campaign.

It would be 3,5E.. because he is new i don't want to discourage him by using cheese and OP things like psionics, ToB and homebrew.. everything else is ok.

The party so far has:
warmage , rogue, druid (healbot) & a cleric that will serve as front line warrior.

Now.. since i don't want to step on any toes, i thought a good choice could be a classic ranger or a bow oriented fighter..
but.. i m like 70% sure that this campaign wont go past 4-5 sessions so i d like something more.. hmm.. challenging(for me,not the DM) and useful.

we will start at lvl1 (and i think with book basic gear) and probably reach lvl4-5.

so.. what would be a good choice considering the above?

There's a Druid on the team. Cheese is already well represented :smallsmile:

For Bow combat, I would go with a Scout. Are you married to ranged combat, because it is fairly hard to invest in.

kpumphre
2014-01-23, 02:10 PM
Warlock love this class good for low levels

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-23, 02:43 PM
ok.. lets see.. i have some more info..
Dm suggest no wizard (i wasn't going for it any way).. also
it would by a dungeon (!?) and my abilities will be either
18,16,15,13,12,10 or 18,16,15,14,10,10 (in whatever order i like..)
i want to avoid warlock.. i played a lock in my last 2 campaigns.. i d like something different.. scout sounds ok but its not my 1st choice..
anything else?

kpumphre
2014-01-23, 02:48 PM
ah yeah been playing one, hmm Well DFA is a good choice but it's very similar to warlocks. Hmm oh Something challenging Paladin. Very different from warlock

(Un)Inspired
2014-01-23, 03:07 PM
Ok please please please do go furthering rumors that either psionics or tome of battle are overpowered. Please? They're both such cool and interesting (and useful) systems and neither even approaches the OP-ness that is core casters.

Ok that out of the way, with a rogue a Druid, an animal companion and a cleric a bard would be a great addition. Your skills will be great so you can back the rogue up with whatever he isn't able to cover. Bardic inspiration will make everyone (including you) great at fighting and without a wizard in the party, having someone who can cast illusions can seriously save your bacon.

eastmabl
2014-01-23, 03:30 PM
You have four other characters. Be a bard3/marshall2.

Wait for combat to start, strike an inspiring pose or two while singing epic songs. Get a whiteboard to keep track of all the ways you've turned your buddies up to 11.

kpumphre
2014-01-23, 03:36 PM
Dragon Shaman?