PDA

View Full Version : Favorite stunting rules?

Doorhandle
2014-01-23, 02:22 PM
So, out of games that involve stunts (exalted, savage worlds, ect), which do you personally think is best?

I personally like flying swordsmen's take on it. You choose a stunt at the start of each combat round and an appropriate stunt die to go with it, and add the stunt's die's bonus to various actions. (such as adding it to damage for strength). This ensures you're going to be coming up with another insane wire-fu stunt every round.

I still think the homebrew "RaisiRaising the Stakes: Drama Rules for Action Fantasy Campaigns" has the best take on it. Players offer a stake (E.X "I Jump-kick the orc off a mountaintop if I hit, and I fall off the mountain myself if I miss) and the D.M decides whether that's an acceptable wager. If yes, you roll as normal with result determined by the wager. Very flexible and very simple.

What are your thoughts?

Arbane
2014-01-24, 07:04 AM
Of the games I've played, I like Exalted's approach: Describe what you're doing in a cool way, get extra dice.

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-01-24, 12:23 PM
Wushu Open is a classic: you get dice for describing your character doing things! ("I block them with my sword" is worth one die, while "I still myself to sense their approach, / drop to the ground in an instant, / spring off of the ground with explosive force, / and punch them through the wall!" is worth four. One for each distinct detail of action.)

I also like how Marvel Heroic adds stunts: you can spend a Plot Point to get an extra die for your roll, and if you tie your action into one of your character's traits, specifically, you get to make that die bigger.

Ravens_cry
2014-01-24, 12:28 PM
Of the games I've played, I like Exalted's approach: Describe what you're doing in a cool way, get extra dice.
Very GM dependent, though I suppose any stunting system is.

Draken
2014-01-26, 11:37 AM
Very GM dependent, though I suppose any stunting system is.

There are some fairly objective guidelines in place for it. With only the final tier being subjective.

1 Dice: Describe the action beyond "I attack X with my sword".

2 Dice: Use the environment in the description of the action.

3 Dice: Reserved for when general agreement of the table is that the action is really, really awesome.