PDA

View Full Version : RPG Book Layouts

Octopusapult
2014-01-23, 02:40 PM
Why do RPGs generally layout their text in two columns per page? D&D is the one I noticed it in first, and it seems to only have started around 3.x age. Before that it looks like three text columns per-page was the trend apparent in 2e books and the Marvel Super Heroes RPG.

I'm curious because I want to write my own RPG before the end of this year and I want to get the layout down correctly. The best guess I have as to "why" is so that art fits better on the pages, but I want to know for sure.

Also, sorry if this isn't the proper place to post the question. Thanks in advance for answers.

Psyren
2014-01-23, 03:43 PM
Probably the same reason newspapers do - it shortens the length of each line. They're producing a product with *lots* of text that is meant to be eye-catching.

There was a famous study in the... 20's, I think? About the effect of typography on reading, and line length was one of the metrics studied. Shorter lines (3.5 inches or so, assuming 10pt. font) were read more quickly and retained more easily; whitespace also had beneficial effects for retention, and columns enabled both of those things. The newspapers later found that the "grid" format that these columns created was useful for inserting images, most notably ads.

Sourcebooks likely capitalize on this so they can make the work more appealing to read, as well as more easily insert illustrations amongst the rules.

Anderlith
2014-01-23, 08:06 PM
Like Psyren said, columns are soooooo much easier to read than giant blocky text.

Octopusapult
2014-01-23, 08:16 PM
Probably the same reason newspapers do - it shortens the length of each line. They're producing a product with *lots* of text that is meant to be eye-catching.

There was a famous study in the... 20's, I think? About the effect of typography on reading, and line length was one of the metrics studied. Shorter lines (3.5 inches or so, assuming 10pt. font) were read more quickly and retained more easily; whitespace also had beneficial effects for retention, and columns enabled both of those things. The newspapers later found that the "grid" format that these columns created was useful for inserting images, most notably ads.

Sourcebooks likely capitalize on this so they can make the work more appealing to read, as well as more easily insert illustrations amongst the rules.

Thank you so much Psyren. It's always easier for me to do something when I'm understanding it's purpose. And of course this was the place to ask.

Grinner
2014-01-23, 08:19 PM

Offhandedly, do you happen to know the name of this study?

Psyren
2014-01-23, 08:36 PM
Offhandedly, do you happen to know the name of this study?

Tinker and Paterson? Something like that? I only saw it in passing.

Grinner
2014-01-23, 09:04 PM
Excellent. Thank you very much.