PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question: Total Levels vs. Class Levels

Yogibear41
2014-01-23, 02:42 PM
Been reading on the d20pfsrd about certain class features that any given class gains based on a certain level, and it seems alot of them just say at X level but don't really specify whether it means that level in that class or that level in general in case of multiclassing, for example: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/bloodlines/bloodlines-from-paizo/abyssal-bloodline has a sorcerers bloodline and list benefits gained at certain levels such as claws, resistances, strength bonuses etc. now these don't say sorcerer level so it makes me think that a multiclass sorcerer/fighter would still gain the specific benefits at each level such as increased claw damage at level 7, be that sorcerer2/fighter 5, sorcerer4/fighter 3 or any other combination.

I think it works in the way I said mainly because in other entries like this:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-schools/paizo---arcane-schools/classic-arcane-schools/transmutation

under physical enhancment it has this: This bonus increases by +1 for every five wizard levels you possess to a maximum of +5 at 20th level

which specifically says wizard levels.

If anyone could confirm/deny my assumption about this that would be great.

There is also this though:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement

"Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character's level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class."

Psyren
2014-01-23, 03:25 PM
Bloodline powers are specifically gained only from sorcerer levels, because they come from the "Bloodline Power" class feature on the Sorcerer table. If you multiclass you will not gain them, unless you're multiclassing into something that explicitly progresses bloodline abilities (e.g. Dragon Disciple for the Draconic Bloodline.)

DodgerH2O
2014-01-23, 03:33 PM
Bloodline powers are specifically gained only from sorcerer levels, because they come from the "Bloodline Power" class feature on the Sorcerer table. If you multiclass you will not gain them, unless you're multiclassing into something that explicitly progresses bloodline abilities (e.g. Dragon Disciple for the Draconic Bloodline.)

Is there somewhere in the SRD that specifies that powers/bonuses gained from Class Features scale ONLY with Class Level?

I was having similar questions as the OP in regards to the Rogue's Trapfinding ability. See:

A rogue adds 1/2 her level to Perception skill checks made to locate traps and to Disable Device skill checks (minimum +1).

As opposed to say, the Magus' Arcane Pool:

At 1st level, the magus gains a reservoir of mystical arcane energy that he can draw upon to fuel his powers and enhance his weapon. This arcane pool has a number of points equal to 1/2 his magus level (minimum 1) + his Intelligence modifier.

(Emphasis added)

It seems odd that they would not be consistent with how they specify these abilities work.

Psyren
2014-01-23, 03:53 PM
Bloodline is listed under Sorcerer class features: "The following are class features of the Sorcerer." The rules are exclusive, not inclusive - you need to show that "Bloodline" is a class feature of whatever other class you are taking.

As for trapfinding, it says "a rogue adds 1/2 her level..."

Sayt
2014-01-23, 05:05 PM
Class level is your level in a specific class. When something keys off your total level, it refers to character level or hit dice. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement)

Prime32
2014-01-23, 06:32 PM
Class level is your level in a specific class. When something keys off your total level, it refers to character level or hit dice. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement)Didn't one of the PF designers change things so that Hit Dice aren't levels? The stated reason was that keeping them the same would make a half-dragon PC's breath weapon viable in combat, and the design intention with half-dragons was to willingly nerf yourself in exchange for a cooler backstory (and that humanoid creatures using breath weapons isn't cool, just dumb).

Did they change it back again?

Karoht
2014-01-23, 06:38 PM
It's a bit inconsistant on this one.
Oracle revelations work the same way, they say you must be X level before taking Y revelation from time to time. Never is it implied that you must be an Oracle of that level. Common sense says that 'you must be an Oracle of X level' is implied, otherwise what would stop someone from taking a 1 level dip in Oracle, waiting until level 7 and getting [insert awesome Revelation power] via the Feat, Extra Revelation.

Example: From the Nature Mystery
"Erosion Touch (Su): As a melee touch attack, you can deal 1d6 points of damage per level to objects or constructs. If used against an object in another creature’s possession, treat this attack as a sunder combat maneuver. You can use this ability once per day, plus one time per day for every three levels you possess."
Let me assure you there is absolutely no text missing here. It just says level. So what would happen if I took a 1 level dip in Oracle and 19 levels of Fighter? At level 20 would it do 20D6?
Again, common sense says it shouldn't work that way, but RAW is muddy at best. And a lot of the mysteries are worded this way.
Source: Nature Mystery (http://www.pathfindersrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/nature)

Psyren
2014-01-23, 06:47 PM
Revelation is an Oracle class feature - the same quote applies as Bloodline. If you're going to multiclass to {X}, then X needs the Revelation class feature too.

Never heard/saw the half-dragon thing.

upho
2014-01-23, 09:58 PM
Revelation is an Oracle class feature - the same quote applies as Bloodline. If you're going to multiclass to {X}, then X needs the Revelation class feature too.This is absolutely correct, AFAIK. When taking levels in two different classes, they both need to have the same class feature in order to progress the feature.

But in regards to bloodlines, this is of course rather easily circumvented with the specific feats (Eldritch Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/eldritch-heritage) chain) for gaining and progressing bloodline powers, explicitly giving you a sorcerer level equal to your level -2 for progression. If I wanted my non-sorcerer based build to have bloodline powers, I'd take those feats over sorcerer dips in every case I can think of.

grarrrg
2014-01-23, 10:02 PM
Basically, unless a class ability specifically says "character level" or "hit dice" it is referring to your levels in that class.

Karoht
2014-01-23, 10:07 PM
Revelation is an Oracle class feature - the same quote applies as Bloodline. If you're going to multiclass to {X}, then X needs the Revelation class feature too.
Agreed. However, they could just include the word [class] next to level and would make it airtight rather than ambigous to a newer player.