PDA

View Full Version : Bear Warrior

Max Caysey
2014-01-23, 02:47 PM
After reading a thread about stat bonuses I was introduced to the Bear warrior class... Which is pretty cool. It got me thinking about a build where I would combine Warshaper and Bear Warrior and hopefully War Hulk, but that remains to be seen.

Now my question is this... As a level 20 character with a lot of nice gear; ring of protection+5, belt of strength +5, +5 mithrill chain shirt, cloak of resistance +5... etc, what happens to all this gear when I change into Dire Bear form from the Bear warrior class? It seems like this happens: "When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional."

RegalKain
2014-01-23, 02:52 PM
There's an item called Wilding Clasp, that allows it to change with you and doesn't get absorbed, IIRC it's 2K gold, I'll try to dig through books to find where it is exactly.

Edit: It's 4K per clasp, and you need a clasp per item it's page 190 of the MIC

eggynack
2014-01-23, 02:55 PM
There's an item called Wilding Clasp, that allows it to change with you and doesn't get absorbed, IIRC it's 2K gold, I'll try to dig through books to find where it is exactly.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it only works on wild shape specifically, and would thus not work with bear form. You could probably ask your DM to make that not be so though.

RegalKain
2014-01-23, 03:00 PM
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it only works on wild shape specifically, and would thus not work with bear form. You could probably ask your DM to make that not be so though.

Hmmm so it would seem, my apologies. Then yeah, I'd ask your DM if it is allowed to work in your case, otherwise I don't believe there is a specific item that allows such a thing.

Max Caysey
2014-01-23, 03:00 PM

Yeah... because changing from a high level character into a CR 8 monster is not going to be very good. Actually it s going to be crap. So If not the items keep funtioning I might as well take Vow of Poverty also... But that would not realy fit my Wow druid tank idea I have in mind...

EDIT: Can I assume my magical gear to resize itself to fit my new form?

Urpriest
2014-01-23, 03:59 PM
Now my question is this... As a level 20 character with a lot of nice gear; ring of protection+5, belt of strength +5, +5 mithrill chain shirt, cloak of resistance +5... etc, what happens to all this gear when I change into Dire Bear form from the Bear warrior class? It seems like this happens: "When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional."

As you say, whether or not you keep the equipment depends on whether you're capable of wearing it. Most magic items resize to fit your form, so the only question is what item slots a bear has. That isn't answered explicitly anywhere, but note that Dragons are given basically every slot in Draconomicon, so most items should still function.

Also, you don't have a Belt of Strength +5.

Max Caysey
2014-01-23, 04:34 PM
As you say, whether or not you keep the equipment depends on whether you're capable of wearing it. Most magic items resize to fit your form, so the only question is what item slots a bear has. That isn't answered explicitly anywhere, but note that Dragons are given basically every slot in Draconomicon, so most items should still function.

Also, you don't have a Belt of Strength +5.

So magical armor would, all things being equal refit itself to the bear form?

and why would I not have a belt of strength ?

Rebel7284
2014-01-23, 04:35 PM

and why would I not have a belt of strength ?

You can have +4 or +6, not +5 =)

Max Caysey
2014-01-23, 04:42 PM

Doh... ofc! How did I miss that. Please disregard my stupid question about that belt! :smallredface:

infomatic
2014-01-23, 04:43 PM

Nobody really knows. The rules for shapeshifting are a mess. Google "Bear Warrior" and "magic items" and you'll find a bunch of arguments.

Magic Items would probably resize for you, but you might have to take them off before shifting, and then put them on again, which is pointless.

There are ways around it, however:

• The Wilding Clasp thing. It does not function for Bear Warrior RAW, but a DM ruling would fix this. At your level, something like this should be available.

• Spend your wealth on non-physical items if possible. Tome of Strength instead of Belt of Strength. More expensive but no shapeshifting worries.

• Incarnum. Totemist14/Bbn1/BearWarrior5 and fill up those magic item slots with Chakras.

Urpriest
2014-01-23, 04:59 PM

Magic Armor and Weapons don't resize, actually. Wondrous Items do, and Rings probably do, but Magic Armor and Weapons explicitly don't, so you'll want to use non-armor ways of keeping your AC up.

Max Caysey
2014-01-23, 06:07 PM
Some final questions on this matter.

1) Am I to believe that the designers made yet another crappy design, or am I missing something?

2) If you loose so much equpment when using alter self, polimorph and shapechange, how come those spells are so popular?

3) Anyone ever played a bear warrior RAW that worked?

Nihilarian
2014-01-23, 07:31 PM
From a design standpoint, the bear warrior is a sub par class. It gets one ability over 10 levels (though that ability improves as you get higher).

It's still a workable class though. Typically you make an unarmed/unarmored character with Fist of the Forest.

You can also work incarnum, maneuvers or psionics into it, if you'd like.

EugeneVoid
2014-01-23, 07:43 PM
Honestly for barbarians it's one of the better classes.
Not much better than +16 strength over 5 levels.

Edit: Though there are better ones like Champion of "Gwfawasf" and Runescarred Berserker. Bear Warrior is for players that don't want to charge err'yday

Dimers
2014-01-23, 08:20 PM
You can get armor, natural armor, deflection and so forth from "slotless" magic items if the DM is willing to use the existing magic item creation guidelines. Double the cost for whatever it is you want, is what it comes down to. A +3 armor bonus usually costs 9000 gp -- for a slotless +3, it's 18000.

Of course, you could also build a custom magic item that grants you miss chance instead, and probably be much better off at high levels than trying to get tons of AC. Just sayin'. *shrug*

For that matter, you CAN make a belt of +5 Strength, using the magic item creation guidelines ...

Max Caysey
2014-01-24, 02:35 AM
Thanks... Its some good points.

I started tinkering with Vow of Poverty, and I didnt realy like it!

eggynack
2014-01-24, 02:47 AM
Indeed. Bear warriors only fill one of the many requirements for VoP to be decent. The list of classes that fill all of the requirements is pretty much limited to druids, because druids are awesome, though totemists, and non-druid casting classes (including psionics stuff) could probably get close enough. Totemists have the incentive to not use items, and VoP stuff is pretty decent on them, but I'm not sure if they have the class features necessary to natively fill the roles that items would otherwise, which is one of the biggest requirements. Inversely, non-druid casters have the class features necessary to fill traditional item roles, but they lack an incentive to not use items, and they generally have few applicable VoP feats. Druids get the whole package.

Gwendol
2014-01-24, 05:01 AM
Thanks... Its some good points.

I presented a VoP build using Bear Warrior not that long ago. War Hulk was considered but I felt it didn't mesh well with fist of the forest so I opted for hulking hurler instead. The build turned out ok, to the point of me considering to try it out in game someday.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16607686

Max Caysey
2014-01-24, 07:21 AM
I presented a VoP build using Bear Warrior not that long ago. War Hulk was considered but I felt it didn't mesh well with fist of the forest so I opted for hulking hurler instead. The build turned out ok, to the point of me considering to try it out in game someday.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16607686

I was thinking some of the same. I would like to get Weapon focus and Weapon specialization for the natural attacks, but that would mean fighter levels also. All of a sudden its a very long build.

I was thinking something in the line of

Human:

Barbarian 1 (Bear Totem)
Fighter 4
Cusader 1
Warshaper 3
Bear Warrior 10
Fist of the Forest 1

I would take two flaws, VoP and just try to boost some combat, Either tripping or grapling (most likely) or simply just damage and armor (might be too boring though).

How does that sound?

Arc_knight25
2014-01-24, 08:50 AM
If you like the Bear thing. You could try the Primeval from Frostburn. I believe you can turn into a bear with 8 HD and add its Strength score -10(even) -11(odd) to yours.

It can run off of Wildshape uses per day, and functions just like it except for the limited animal. So you could use the Wild clasps.

Has some nice abilities as well.

Max Caysey
2014-01-24, 05:49 PM
Is there any way of combining Dwarven defender with barbarian?

The bear warrior build I'm working on now is monk, barbarian, fist of the forest, bear warrior, warshaper... and later I want Dwarven Defender and Deep warden. My question is how I do it.

Hope you guys will help!

Urpriest
2014-01-24, 06:25 PM
Is there any way of combining Dwarven defender with barbarian?

The bear warrior build I'm working on now is monk, barbarian, fist of the forest, bear warrior, warshaper... and later I want Dwarven Defender and Deep warden. My question is how I do it.

Hope you guys will help!

What are you hoping to get out of Dwarven Defender? A lot of its defensive abilities can be gotten more easily with other classes, if that's what you're looking for.

Max Caysey
2014-01-24, 06:41 PM
What are you hoping to get out of Dwarven Defender? A lot of its defensive abilities can be gotten more easily with other classes, if that's what you're looking for.

By combining Fist of the Forest, with Deepwarden for 2x my con modifier to armor, I wanted to get as much con and armor class as I could. This cobined with bear warrior for some 55-60 str, would make for a very powerful melee tank/grapler.

So basically I wanted to take Dire Bear form, go into defencive stance and have at something nasty.. not sure what yet :smallsmile:

EugeneVoid
2014-01-24, 06:52 PM
Dwarven Defender is typically a no-no.

Staying still is cloudkill+maw of chaos bait among other things.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-24, 07:53 PM
It would hardly be OP for a Bear Warrior to gain his equipment's benefits in bear form (you're still ultimately a one-trick pony, even if that trick is super badass), so I would rule that bears have all the same magic item slots, and they would all function in bear form.

Gwendol
2014-01-25, 02:49 AM
The dwarven defender is problematic. Required to stand still is typically not a good thing in a game.

Max Caysey
2014-01-25, 04:32 AM
If the dwarven defender is a bad choice, then is there anyting else that would give con and AC at a 1 level dip?

Gwendol
2014-01-25, 09:21 AM
Deepwarden gives that as well, and it's always on.

Max Caysey
2014-01-25, 09:33 AM
Deepwarden gives that as well, and it's always on.

The deepwarden is indeed one of the classes I'm taking! But what else could be interesting.

THanks again!

infomatic
2014-01-25, 10:12 AM
Dwarf Totemist3/Sohei2/IronSoulForgemaster8/DeepWarden2/BearWarrior5

BAB +16 (doesn't matter b/c you're doing natural attacks)
Saves: 14/6/11
Meldhshaper: 10 (6 melds +1 feat, 7 essentia, 3 binds + 1 feat)
Brown bear form (+16 str, +2 dex, +8 con)
Con to AC

Pick up Sun School (Sohei qualifies) and Blink Shirt and be a shadow pouncing bear.

Feats: Extra Frenzy, Endurance, Steadfast Determination, Bonus Essentia, Shape Soulmeld/Thunderstep Boots, Open Chakra (Hands), Sun School

Bonus feats: Track, Weapon Focus (Claw); Diehard (this assumed the 3.5 Sohei update, otherwise drop Diehard)

Max Caysey
2014-01-25, 03:48 PM
Dwarf Totemist3/Sohei2/IronSoulForgemaster8/DeepWarden2/BearWarrior5

BAB +16 (doesn't matter b/c you're doing natural attacks)
Saves: 14/6/11
Meldhshaper: 10 (6 melds +1 feat, 7 essentia, 3 binds + 1 feat)
Brown bear form (+16 str, +2 dex, +8 con)
Con to AC

Pick up Sun School (Sohei qualifies) and Blink Shirt and be a shadow pouncing bear.

Feats: Extra Frenzy, Endurance, Steadfast Determination, Bonus Essentia, Shape Soulmeld/Thunderstep Boots, Open Chakra (Hands), Sun School

Bonus feats: Weapon Focus (Claw); Diehard, Deflect Arrows (this assumed the 3.5 Sohei update, otherwise drop Diehard)

Thnaks for the build. I will be looking into it! Keep them comming! :)

Urpriest
2014-01-25, 07:05 PM
If the dwarven defender is a bad choice, then is there anyting else that would give con and AC at a 1 level dip?

Primeval is sort of an interesting, if silly option. You'd be a dwarf who turns into some dire animal who then gets angry and turns into a bear, and the stat increases appear to stack.

Max Caysey
2014-01-25, 08:25 PM
ANother question about the bear warrior.

When changing (like polymorph) Do I have to recalculate base attack as an animal of my HD (actually reducing my current attack) or do I keep my own dwarf multiclassed base attack? And do I have to change my HD to d8 (as animals have)(actually reducing my current HP) or do I keep my own mix of barbarian, monk, fighter (non changed) HD?

Thanks in advise!!!

Nihilarian
2014-01-25, 08:33 PM

When changing (like polymorph) Do I have to recalculate base attack as an animal of my HD (actually reducing my current attack) or do I keep my own dwarf multiclassed base attack? And do I have to change my HD to d8 (as animals have)(actually reducing my current HP) or do I keep my own mix of barbarian, monk, fighter (non changed) HD?

Thanks in advise!!!HD and BAB don't change.

Urpriest
2014-01-25, 08:35 PM

Thanks in advise!!!

As had been said, neither of these changes. Polymorph only changes what it says it does, and anyway as you are well aware the Animal type only makes your RHD d8s (and 3/4 BAB), it has no connection to class HD. If you didn't know this stuff you probably should read my Monster Handbook before playing any sort of shapeshifter.

Max Caysey
2014-01-25, 08:42 PM
As had been said, neither of these changes. Polymorph only changes what it says it does, and anyway as you are well aware the Animal type only makes your RHD d8s (and 3/4 BAB), it has no connection to class HD. If you didn't know this stuff you probably should read my Monster Handbook before playing any sort of shapeshifter.

I was unsure, since someone mentioned that I didnt have to care about BaB since I used natural attacks. That to me said that he meant I used the bears BaB. And after reading the class (again) and reading polymorph and alter self (again) I was unsure what it actually changes.

Thanks for the info, it was simply unclear to me. That might be the whisky, or the hour at wich I'm doing this. Anyways thats why I'm glad we have this great community.

Again thanks!

PS. More questions are bound to come. :smallsmile:

Allanimal
2014-01-25, 08:45 PM
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but the Called armor property from MIC could help.

Make yourself some bear-form-shaped & sized barding, enchant as desired + the Called property (+2000gp, so affordable). Before your bear-rage, free-action drop the bag containing the bear barding. Bear Rage on, call the armor. *poof* armored bear.

The only drawback is the standard action to call the armor. Your belt of battle / +6 STR should help with that tho. There's probably other tricks to help there too.

Nihilarian
2014-01-25, 08:47 PM
I was unsure, since someone mentioned that I didnt have to care about BaB since I used natural attacks. That to me said that he meant I used the bears BaB. And after reading the class (again) and reading polymorph and alter self (again) I was unsure what it actually changes.

Thanks for the info, it was simply unclear to me. That might be the whisky, or the hour at wich I'm doing this. Anyways thats why I'm glad we have this great community.

Again thanks!

Natural Attacks don't get iteratives. You know how a level 6 fighter can attack twice with his weapon? With Natural Attacks, you get 1 attack per Natural Weapon.

Urpriest
2014-01-25, 08:59 PM

Again thanks!

Natural Attacks don't get iteratives. You know how a level 6 fighter can attack twice with his weapon? With Natural Attacks, you get 1 attack per Natural Weapon.

This. Incidentally, this is why you need some other way to get iteratives. Generally, that means Improved Unarmed Strike (maybe via a Monk's Belt) or a Mouthpick Weapon. The former doesn't cost you your bite and makes life easier for you when transforming, but the latter can count as two-handed for Str and Power Attack.

Max Caysey
2014-01-26, 04:55 AM
This. Incidentally, this is why you need some other way to get iteratives. Generally, that means Improved Unarmed Strike (maybe via a Monk's Belt) or a Mouthpick Weapon. The former doesn't cost you your bite and makes life easier for you when transforming, but the latter can count as two-handed for Str and Power Attack.

I have improved unarmed attack... how does that affact me in bear form?

Heliomance
2014-01-26, 05:25 AM

Not quite true - only +2, +4, and +6 are explicitly listed in the books, but the formula for price is clear, and every DM I've ever played with has allowed odd numbers on stat enhancer items. I may not have ever had a belt of +5 strength, but I'm pretty certain I've used gloves of +5 dex before.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 09:57 AM
I have improved unarmed attack... how does that affact me in bear form?

I assume you mean Improved Unarmed Strike. (Reason I point this out, you could have meant Improved Natural Attack, which is a whole different feat.)

Same way it effects you in any other form, including your natural form. You can make unarmed strikes (which are completely distinct from claws and bites, as you hopefully are aware) that deal lethal damage and you threaten attacks of opportunity with them.

Since unarmed strikes get iterative attacks, you can use them alongside natural weapons in a full attack the same way you can use a manufactured weapon alongside natural weapons in a full attack. You're familiar with that system, since you're choosing to play a natural attacks user, right?

Not quite true - only +2, +4, and +6 are explicitly listed in the books, but the formula for price is clear, and every DM I've ever played with has allowed odd numbers on stat enhancer items. I may not have ever had a belt of +5 strength, but I'm pretty certain I've used gloves of +5 dex before.

There's a huge argument about whether or not this is appropriate but this isn't the time or place for it and you were probably in it the last time it happened anyway.

infomatic
2014-01-26, 10:20 AM
You're familiar with that system, since you're choosing to play a natural attacks user, right?

You should read up on this point, definitely, if you're going to start mucking about with mixing iterative and natural attacks. (Just as important: Make sure your DM understands it).

Danzibr had some good info in his Totemist handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287304), but there's probably a natural attack handbook someplace too.

(For the record, I don't think a Totemist/Bear Warrior needs to go the iterative route, b/c you can get huge numbers of attacks without trying via totemist, and adding another four iteratives on top of that risks both slowing the game down and getting the DM mad. But it's an option for a high-power game.)

Also, Don't go Bear Warrior 10. Five levels is plenty. The advance from Brown-to-Dire Bear doesn't get you as much as from Black-to-Brown.

Max Caysey
2014-01-26, 11:43 AM
I assume you mean Improved Unarmed Strike. (Reason I point this out, you could have meant Improved Natural Attack, which is a whole different feat.)

Same way it effects you in any other form, including your natural form. You can make unarmed strikes (which are completely distinct from claws and bites, as you hopefully are aware) that deal lethal damage and you threaten attacks of opportunity with them.

Since unarmed strikes get iterative attacks, you can use them alongside natural weapons in a full attack the same way you can use a manufactured weapon alongside natural weapons in a full attack. You're familiar with that system, since you're choosing to play a natural attacks user, right?

There's a huge argument about whether or not this is appropriate but this isn't the time or place for it and you were probably in it the last time it happened anyway.

I must admit, that I am not very farmiliar with natural attacks. (I know they are claws, bite etc. that monsters have) I have never played anything with naturals attack and have never had any reason to learn it before now.

I would very much like, if someone could either point me in the right direction or explane it here, because right now, its quite confusing to me what I get and what I dont get from being a monk and bear warrior.

I understand that I keep my own bab and as always ad str to the total attack. I have 2 claws and 1 bite. And yes I was talking about Improved Unarmed Strike. Im not familiar with iterative attacks either and I am usure what it means.

Thanks again!

EDIT: How should I rule flurry of blows and stunning fist? Can they be used on/by my natural attacks??

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 12:47 PM
I must admit, that I am not very farmiliar with natural attacks. (I know they are claws, bite etc. that monsters have) I have never played anything with naturals attack and have never had any reason to learn it before now.

I would very much like, if someone could either point me in the right direction or explane it here, because right now, its quite confusing to me what I get and what I dont get from being a monk and bear warrior.

I understand that I keep my own bab and as always ad str to the total attack. I have 2 claws and 1 bite. And yes I was talking about Improved Unarmed Strike. Im not familiar with iterative attacks either and I am usure what it means.

Thanks again!

There's a miniguide to natural attack here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=482.0).

You know how, when your BAB is high enough, you get extra attacks on a full attack? Those are called "iterative attacks", because they iterate. A character with BAB +16 gets four iterative attacks, at +16/+11/+6/+1.

Natural weapons have a completely separate pool of attacks. You always get one attack with each of your natural weapons, no matter how many you have. One weapon (or sometimes a pair of weapons) is your primary natural attack, the others are secondary. Secondary weapons take a -5 penalty to their attack roll, which is mitigated by the Multiattack feat if you have it. Secondary attacks get +1/2 Str to damage, while primary attacks get full Str (and often creatures with only one natural attack add 1.5 Str).

You can take both iterative attacks and natural weapon attacks in the same full attack. You get both pools of attacks, but your iterative attacks are your primary weapon, and all your other natural attacks become secondary weapons.

Unarmed strikes are natural weapons, but they are different from all other natural weapons because you use your iterative attacks to make them, rather than getting extra natural weapon attacks with them. Think of them like a normal manufactured weapon that happens to be buffed with natural weapon spells and class features rather than manufactured weapon ones.

EDIT: How should I rule flurry of blows and stunning fist? Can they be used on/by my natural attacks??

Flurry of Blows is a bit ambiguous. It says you can only use the listed weapons, and Bite and Claws aren't on the list. This might mean that you can't include them in the same full attack as a Flurry of Blows, but it could just mean that you can't use your Flurry of Blows attacks on them. That's DM's call really.

Stunning Fist specifically refers to unarmed strike, so it only works with that, no ruling required.

Max Caysey
2014-01-26, 01:49 PM
There's a miniguide to natural attack here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=482.0).

You know how, when your BAB is high enough, you get extra attacks on a full attack? Those are called "iterative attacks", because they iterate. A character with BAB +16 gets four iterative attacks, at +16/+11/+6/+1.

Natural weapons have a completely separate pool of attacks. You always get one attack with each of your natural weapons, no matter how many you have. One weapon (or sometimes a pair of weapons) is your primary natural attack, the others are secondary. Secondary weapons take a -5 penalty to their attack roll, which is mitigated by the Multiattack feat if you have it. Secondary attacks get +1/2 Str to damage, while primary attacks get full Str (and often creatures with only one natural attack add 1.5 Str).

You can take both iterative attacks and natural weapon attacks in the same full attack. You get both pools of attacks, but your iterative attacks are your primary weapon, and all your other natural attacks become secondary weapons.

Unarmed strikes are natural weapons, but they are different from all other natural weapons because you use your iterative attacks to make them, rather than getting extra natural weapon attacks with them. Think of them like a normal manufactured weapon that happens to be buffed with natural weapon spells and class features rather than manufactured weapon ones.

Flurry of Blows is a bit ambiguous. It says you can only use the listed weapons, and Bite and Claws aren't on the list. This might mean that you can't include them in the same full attack as a Flurry of Blows, but it could just mean that you can't use your Flurry of Blows attacks on them. That's DM's call really.

Stunning Fist specifically refers to unarmed strike, so it only works with that, no ruling required.

Thank you so much... I knew about the iterative attacks, but was unaware that it was called so. I indeed have also understood the idea of two seperate pools of attacks. The unarmed and the natural. It make sence now.

I still currious about something though... Do I get more natural attacks than 2 claws and 1 bite in my bear form at any time? I thinking by vitue of high BaB? It might be obvoius to everybudy but me, and apoligize for apparently stupid questions.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 01:56 PM
I still currious about something though... Do I get more natural attacks than 2 claws and 1 bite in my bear form at any time? I thinking by vitue of high BaB? It might be obvoius to everybudy but me, and apoligize for apparently stupid questions.

You always only get one attack per natural weapon, barring special feats like Rapidstrike. If you get more natural weapons (from Totemist soulmelds, for example) then you get more attacks.

urkthegurk
2014-01-26, 03:17 PM
Obviously bears would still have 'hat' slots, but only for tiny, adorable hats

Max Caysey
2014-01-26, 05:48 PM
Feral Trance (Su): Once per day, you can enter a feral battle trance as a free action. While you are in this state, the raw power of the beast flows through you. Your hands and feet become clawlike (destroying any shoes or gloves you are wearing), and your teeth lengthen and grow pointed. For the duration of the trance, you gain a +4 bonus to Dexterity and a +2 bonus on damage rolls with your unarmed strikes. You can also make one bite attack per round at your highest attack bonus whenever you attack as a full-round action.
The damage for this attack is 1d6 + your Str modifier, re-gardless of your size. A feral trance lasts for a number of rounds equal to 3 + your Con modifier. While in a trance, you cannot perform certain actions, and afterward you are fatigued. These restrictions are the same as those for the barbarian's rage class feature (PH25—26). If you have the ability to enter a rage, you can do so while in a feral trance, using your increased Constitution score to determine the duration of both effects.
At 3rd level, you can use this ability twice per day.

Would any of you rule that the +2 damage bonus would aply to the natural attacks?

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 07:10 PM
Would any of you rule that the +2 damage bonus would aply to the natural attacks?

No, it's pretty explicitly unarmed strikes. The ability even gives you a bite attack, so it's not like they didn't know about natural attacks.

Max Caysey
2014-01-27, 04:34 AM
No, it's pretty explicitly unarmed strikes. The ability even gives you a bite attack, so it's not like they didn't know about natural attacks.

Cool... didn't think so.

I was thinking about the feats that a black bear has. Do they give access to PrC that have tose feats as prerequisite? Black bear has endurance, I need that for deepwarden... du I have to take it regularly or can I use it from the bear?

infomatic
2014-01-27, 10:53 AM
You couldn't use the feat to qualify for a prestige class, unless — and even this is pie-in-the-sky thinking — you leveled up during a rage (and even then, you'd lose the PrC when you stopped raging).

And really, that argument doesn't matter because you don't get the bear's feats while shapeshifted. Polymorph (which the Bear Warrior's shapeshift is based off of) only grants racial bonus feats, and the bear doesn't have any. Those feats are from its 3 Hit Dice, which — as was mentioned earlier — don't change when you shapeshift.

Urpriest
2014-01-27, 11:59 AM
Cool... didn't think so.

I was thinking about the feats that a black bear has. Do they give access to PrC that have tose feats as prerequisite? Black bear has endurance, I need that for deepwarden... du I have to take it regularly or can I use it from the bear?

You don't get the bear's feats (except maaaaybe the bear's bonus feats, depending on interpretations and which ability your bear form is based on). You've read my monster guide, right? Polymorph-like abilities don't change your hit dice, so they don't affect things that come from hit dice like feats and skills.

Max Caysey
2014-01-28, 02:08 AM
You don't get the bear's feats (except maaaaybe the bear's bonus feats, depending on interpretations and which ability your bear form is based on). You've read my monster guide, right? Polymorph-like abilities don't change your hit dice, so they don't affect things that come from hit dice like feats and skills.

Yes I have... And thanks for all the help. It really.. well helped!