PDA

View Full Version : Creating your own Plane

Hobbo Jim
2014-01-23, 03:37 PM
Has anyone successfully created their own plane in a campaign? Curious if there are any spells or something that do this. I would also be happy to hear any ways that people have role played their way to achieve this. Let me know :D

Bullet06320
2014-01-23, 03:50 PM
yes
the genesis spell lets u create your own plane, its 9th level

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 03:53 PM
Although I'm not clear if there is any meaningful distinction, genesis creates a demiplane, not a plane, from what I recall. Genesis also allows for manipulation of a discrete subset of the overall collection of planar traits, and thus is conceivably more limited than some effect that created an entirely new plane from scratch.

Brookshw
2014-01-23, 04:06 PM
Some semi-meaningful distinctions (well, maybe trivial really). Planes are infinite, demiplanes are finite. Planes have layers (with some exceptions) demiplanes don't. Petitioners and exemplars fit in there.

Osiris
2014-01-23, 04:21 PM
Genesis also allows for manipulation of a discrete subset of the overall collection of planar traits, and thus is conceivably more limited than some effect that created an entirely new plane from scratch.

Wait, so Genesis makes demiplanes, not planes, and you can't change all factors of that demiplane? What factors can you change, and what can't you change, and which ones would you want to change?

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 04:28 PM
Wait, so Genesis makes demiplanes, not planes, and you can't change all factors of that demiplane? What factors can you change, and what can't you change, and which ones would you want to change?

Psionic genesis: Explicitly can't alter time trait. Control over other visible features of the plane, which arguably includes the gravity trait and elemental traits. Arguably can not change the magic trait (as magic trait of a plane is not a visible feature). Much is implied by the description, but little is explicit.

Magic genesis: No explicit inability to alter time trait, but most readings will conclude that you can't (and thank the gods). Still stuck with "visible" features, as I recall.

EDIT: A demiplane is simply a plane of limited size, a subset of planes. Thus, there is some inconsistency in which term they use to describe the bound space that these powers/spells produce.

Skysaber
2014-01-23, 05:15 PM
Yes.

And demiplanes as created by Genesis do have a growth rate, so given infinite time do reach an infinite size.

So we regard Genesis as pretty much plating a seed. It's not full grown yet, but it will be eventually. It's also kind of fun to think of very high level adventuring groups retiring to their private demiplanes, then at some unpredictable point they fall into a sort of hibernation as that plane enters a 'growth spurt'. Then, a million years later or so, they wake up and find themselves the pantheon of a full-fledged Prime Material.

Also, since both good and evil parties would do this, the growing planes might run into each other and merge, positive and negative charges attracting each other, giving you both good and evil parts of the pantheon.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 06:14 PM
At the end of the infinite amount of time (which will never occur), the genesis plane will be infinite in size.

At every point up until that nonexistent point, the plane created is strictly finite.

Of course, it grows geometrically, so it will get stupendously huge, but at every point x in time after the casting, we can calculate its size. Thus it can't be infinite.

Barmoz
2014-01-23, 06:18 PM
Has anyone done an Epic Genesis which does explicitly allow altering the time trait? Shouldn't be that complicated, or that high of a DC given that it's just a relatively minor improvement over a 9th level spell.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 06:21 PM
The mythal seed itself is about 1000% stronger than a personal plane, and I think you could planar bubble (fast time plane) everyone that you wanted in it's ridiculously large area.

Epic spells can do anything, and you can mitigate the DC down to 0 if the DM lets you (or 1). So, yes, you can make your own plane and speed up time there.

You can also animate the entire planet and use it as your own personal mecha.

Chadamantium
2014-01-23, 06:23 PM
I don't know why everyone is talking about high level spells. Just craft a permanent fly spell onto an carriage with wings. BAM! Plane.

Osiris
2014-01-23, 07:13 PM
I don't know why everyone is talking about high level spells. Just craft a permanent fly spell onto an carriage with wings. BAM! Plane.

Haha, that was funny. You gain one internet. Also, is there a way to make a flight spell permanent on an object? I guess not, because it wouldn't steer. Can you make flight permanent on creatures? Cast it on a permanent earth elemental monolith, make that permanent too, add grass, there you go, floating wizard island!

Milo v3
2014-01-23, 11:43 PM
Also, is there a way to make a flight spell permanent on an object?

It's called a magic item.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-24, 12:47 AM
Well, my PC-turned-BBEG eventually made his own plane and got a pretty amazing cult. Epic spells are the bomb.

unseenmage
2014-01-24, 05:09 AM
A long IRL time ago my friend and I built an arcane Genesis plane and populated it with Constructs and reusable Wondrous Architecture (SBG) versions of Golem Manuals for every Construct ever.

We never went back but in-game it's been a few thousand years since then, I wonder how those critters are doing...?