PDA

View Full Version : Undead Nymphs and BBEG stuff!

tortor
2014-01-23, 05:35 PM
I saw an article in the Wizards Archive, that applied the lich tenplate to a Nymph, but it got me thinking about who could have tempted said dryad with the power of undeath? This souds like a good, sinister, manipulative bbeg..

But where to go from there? Blighter is just.. Disappointingly weak. Ur Priest is questionable at best.

Can someone help me with an appropriate BBEG class/feat track?

If your curious about optimization, one of my players is a focused specialized conjurer with the cloudy conjuration feat... So optimize away~

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-23, 06:03 PM
While a caster level from spell-like abilities is enough to meet the caster level prerequisites on item creation feats and even magic items themselves when applicable, a Dryad does not possess any inherent traits which will allow her to become a Lich. Any given Lich must create their own phylactery, which requires Craft Wondrous Item as well as, "...able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher." A Dryad cannot cast spells, and only has a caster level of 6th from her spell-like abilities. A Dryad would have to gain levels in a spellcasting class and have a caster level of at least 11th to become a Lich.

Furthermore, the Lich template can only be applied to a Humanoid. There are specific exceptions to this, such as an Alhoon (Mind Flayer Lich, Lords of Madness) or a Dracolich (Draconomicon), but I'm not aware of any version of Lich that can be applied to a Fey.

Fey don't die of old age, they are naturally immortal, so perhaps this one had her immortality stripped somehow? Someone could have turned her into a Human(oid), and the maddening thought of running out of time could have driven her to restore her immortality by another means. All it takes is an elderly Psion to use True Mind Switch (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSwitchTrue.htm) on her, and suddenly she's on the verge of dying from old age!

Possibly make her a Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror, it would work well with her high Cha score and she could have an entourage of skeletons and zombies of various types of animals.

tortor
2014-01-23, 06:19 PM
Edit: I am a moron, it was a nymph lich, article posted Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20070401a)

So, I am looking for a suitable manipulater, who has created this undead nymph and corrupted her as just one small cog in a much larger machination.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 06:25 PM
Have the dryad sell her soul to a devil in exchange for freedom from her tree (she wants to see the world or whatever). This change could easily turn her into a humanoid (especially if she wasn't terribly specific with the wording of the deal...the devil wants her to die, after all).

tortor
2014-01-23, 06:29 PM
I found the article and edited my previous posts appropriately, I am looking for a power hungry bbeg to fit the Nymph

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-23, 06:32 PM
Look up Verdant Prince, MM5 I think. They have some interesting abilities, and are noted as evil fey manipulators. Break some rules and give it levels in Insidious Corruptor (though now it's going to have a very considerable ECL).

Chronos
2014-01-23, 10:25 PM
You might also consider the Evolved Undead template, which will increase her already-considerable Cha even higher, among other benefits. It's +1 LA for +2 Cha etc., and can explicitly be applied multiple times.

Kane0
2014-01-24, 12:25 AM
An undead nymph?
My first reaction:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyafn9Q4Tb1r3lor3o1_500.gif

Maybe she wanted to e a succubus or erinyes but knew she wouldnt make it to hell/baator so she decided to make herself undead so she could qualify.

Snowbluff
2014-01-24, 12:31 AM
An undead nymph?
My first reaction:

Maybe she wanted to e a succubus or erinyes but knew she wouldnt make it to hell/baator so she decided to make herself undead so she could qualify.

This whole thing sums up my reaction quite well.

Ivanhoe
2014-01-24, 06:02 PM
I have recently toyed with a similar idea of an undead nymph as a BBEG for a high-level grouo: a ghost nymph.

The story would run somewhat like this: a nymph falling madly in love with a humanoid prince and, having 10 levels in druid for access to shapechange (or being permanently polymorphed) turns into a humanoid to be together with the lover and get his child.
Things go wrong, and mad love turns to hate and madness of a ghost's unlife.

A 10th level druid nymph ghost would make an awesome foe, not only with her 17th level spellcasting ,but also both ghost and nymph su abilities. She could at the same time blind people with her beauty and blast/shock them with her horrible appearance, all (increased) CHR-based ...:smallyuk:
Could well look like this... (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=spHEw2n9LwE)

Not sure about the RAWy-ness of it, but she should be around CR 19.