PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Human alternate racial trait: feat/skill or 2 stats?

Iceheart2112
2014-01-23, 07:33 PM
I'm putting together a characterand I was wondering if there was a consensus on whether keeping the bonus feat and extra skill point every level or going for the +2 for two stats is "better". I was putting together a Barbarian who is also a lawyer (odd concept but should be fun to rp) and it shouldn't be a combat heavy "let's go adventuring! " kind of campaign.

Kudaku
2014-01-23, 07:43 PM
It kind of depends on what class you're playing. A fighter, a paladin and a wizard would value that trade-off differently.

For a barbarian... I'd probably take the fee... Actually, I'm not quite sure if I would or not, really depends on the build. For an Archer barbarian I'd definitely take the feat. For a straight up "beat your face in" build that's not particularly feat-starved and the rest of the party cover skills well the +2/+2 is pretty good.

For the party you're describing I'd probably take the feat and skill points.

copycatcat
2014-01-23, 07:44 PM
I'm putting together a characterand I was wondering if there was a consensus on whether keeping the bonus feat and extra skill point every level or going for the +2 for two stats is "better". I was putting together a Barbarian who is also a lawyer (odd concept but should be fun to rp) and it shouldn't be a combat heavy "let's go adventuring! " kind of campaign.

A nonlawful lawyer?

Not a consensus, but it depends: is there another feat or skill you care about having fr the RP or minmaxing, or not? Include the future times and the earliest levels in this decision. If you are never going to need that feat and skill, go for the stat point. Otherwise, take them. Probably, if you are a lawyer you are going to want more than 4 skills/level. Also, see above. That is the only real RP contradiction.

Kudaku
2014-01-23, 07:47 PM
A nonlawful lawyer?

More common than you might think (http://www.bettercallsaul.com/) :smallwink:

Squirrel_Dude
2014-01-23, 07:49 PM
The +2/+2 is nice, but I personally prefer the extra skill to max out and the extra feat at first level instead of the extra +2 to an ability score. The +1 sp/level is half the advantage of a +1 to intelligence, anyway.

Spore
2014-01-23, 08:49 PM
It's good with classes that depend on two stats physically or mentally. Casterwise there are bar to none really good ones, but I know several melee classes that would kill for just that extra Dex/Str/Con: CAGM Barbarian needs Str and Dex, most simple Twohanded builds want Str and Con, Uberchargers too, Archers benefit from extra Str/Dex, Monks love high Stats overall. Mainly Str and Wis.

Thanks to that I have several new ideas for humans :)

Baroncognito
2014-01-23, 09:44 PM
a Barbarian who is also a lawyer.

An Unfrozen Cave-man lawyer?

Iceheart2112
2014-01-24, 02:17 AM
More like a backup to a loan shark who writes all the contracts in a lawful evil aligned city. Think "you can pay me or you can speak to my lawyer" threat...With teeth.