PDA

View Full Version : Plane of Mirrors Adventure Advice?

unseenmage
2014-01-24, 01:15 AM
I'm planning on running a few level 11s through a one shot Mirror Plane adventure but I can't remember where all the Mirror Plane materials are located. Could also use some advice on structuring the adventure itself.

I know the Mirror Plane details are in the Manual of the Planes.
I know there's a Mirror Mephit somewhere.
I thought there was a race that lived there too...

The Plot (don't worry about railroading, I'm good at improvising if the need arises):
Was thinking that one of the player's business branches contacts him via Message to tell him about how they'd found a mirror that pulled one of them in. When he returned he wasn't right. He'd been killed trying to slay one of his own men and he'd turned to silver goo.

Party investigates and finds a larger than usual Mirror Demiplane, complete with Mirrorverse city populated by Mirror realm creatures.

Where I'm stuck:
- I could use help statting up the city as per the DMG guidelines.
- Was wondering if there was a Mirror Elemental or Mirror Golem printed somewhere.
- I could also use some guidelines for what a Mirrorverse version of an illithid Elder Brain would look like. It commands all of the Mirror Duplicates of non-Mirror creatures who enter the Mirror Realm.
- And last but not least, I'm not sure how to portray the Mirror people's disdain for the mortal realm while still maintaining that they're a threat to it.
In short, I don't have an endgame yet.

The group/game:
Level 11, nonoptimized, Faerun, no 3rd party, no homebrew.
One Leadership merchant character with 5 businesses (DMG2), and 1-3 other characters of unknown stats.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-24, 02:56 AM
I don't remember what they're called but the mirror plane's natives are detailed in Fiend Folio. Generally, if you're looking for a race native to somewhere on the great wheel other than the material, check the fiend folio first.

AuraTwilight
2014-01-24, 03:03 AM
- Was wondering if there was a Mirror Elemental or Mirror Golem printed somewhere.

Not officially, but I know of a homebrew Mirror Golem that's pretty great.

- And last but not least, I'm not sure how to portray the Mirror people's disdain for the mortal realm while still maintaining that they're a threat to it.

The mirror people aren't the real ones, and they know it. No matter what, they were doomed to just aping the lives of the people on the other side of the glass, little more than tricks of the light. But here, they can act however they please, and here, there is no glass wall to protect you. They can do all the things they never had a chance to do.

And, well...yea, they can't leave the mirror world unless they kill and replace their true selves, but once a few of them succeed, what's to stop them from shoving people into the glass, vulnerable and unprepared?

They work in secret, perfectly able to mimic their true selves so no one notices (they have lifetimes of practice, after all). By the time anyone notices what's going on, it'll be too late.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-01-24, 03:34 AM
I don't remember what they're called but the mirror plane's natives are detailed in Fiend Folio. Generally, if you're looking for a race native to somewhere on the great wheel other than the material, check the fiend folio first.

They are the Nerra. I love playing the kalareem (the big burly ones). Their disdain for the material would mostly because the Plane of Mirrors is a bad place to live. All the mirrora of one constellation get broken and it is sealed forever (along with anyone inside). This means they could easily end up getting VERY aggressive who destroys a mirror to a critical constellation. Would be intersesting to have ths 7 years bad luck thing be the literal wrath of the Nerra.

unseenmage
2014-01-24, 03:58 AM
Emphasis mine.

Fine advice. And thanks for it.

They are the Nerra. I love playing the kalareem (the big burly ones). Their disdain for the material would mostly because the Plane of Mirrors is a bad place to live. All the mirrora of one constellation get broken and it is sealed forever (along with anyone inside). This means they could easily end up getting VERY aggressive who destroys a mirror to a critical constellation. Would be intersesting to have ths 7 years bad luck thing be the literal wrath of the Nerra.

This I like! And will most likely steal. :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2014-01-24, 10:56 AM
There's a Plane of Mirrors encounter in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

Entering the plane of mirrors is a little like walking in front of a mirror of opposition. A mirror-image duplicate is created, which then proceeds to stalk you down in 2d20 rounds and murder you.

Aoa droplet/sphere (Fiend Folio) are also "reflective". I've always wanted to slip an invisible droplet into a battle to mess with spellcasters.

Susurrus (MM3) looks like it's made out of mirrors, but for some reason this has nothing to do with its special abililities, which appear to be based on sound for some reason.

unseenmage
2014-01-24, 01:52 PM
There's a Plane of Mirrors encounter in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits.

Entering the plane of mirrors is a little like walking in front of a mirror of opposition. A mirror-image duplicate is created, which then proceeds to stalk you down in 2d20 rounds and murder you.

Aoa droplet/sphere (Fiend Folio) are also "reflective". I've always wanted to slip an invisible droplet into a battle to mess with spellcasters.

Susurrus (MM3) looks like it's made out of mirrors, but for some reason this has nothing to do with its special abililities, which appear to be based on sound for some reason.

I'll check out that adventure.
And i'm willing to bet the Susurrus pic is what i was thinking of when I thought there might be a Mirror Golem/Quasielemental.

unseenmage
2014-01-27, 10:10 AM
We did the one-shot but it's turned into a two-shot.

The players were super cautious and have mostly figured out how the Plane of Mirrors works. The characters are TN and CN. The CN Duskblade's Mirror Duplicate slew his character at which point he just started playing his Mirror Duplicate. He doesn't mind the change to Outsider type and considers functional immortality a bonus.

I designed the starting constellation of mirrors mostly at random. They found mostly broken mirrors, and several 'pocket mirrors' that only a halfling hand and wrist could fit through.

They didn't make it to the main constellation cluster where I've planned the Nerra city to be. I've been toying with the idea of a 'Hallway Geography' of sorts to place the city in and some sort of "natural" features for the plane.

Mirrored walls/ceilings/floors with portal mirrors affixed in scattershot patterns. Basically a lot of mirrors that can see one another through other mirrors. Creating the effect of an open space while still staying true to the hallways structure the Plane of Mirrors is printed as having. Still not quite sure how to realize/describe it properly though.