PDA

View Full Version : Phrases from fiction in day-to-day speech

Hogwarts9876
2014-01-24, 04:57 AM
I tend to shorten the phrase from this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0799.html) comic to "Burn, you insufferable dullard!" when using my favourite type in Pokemon. My family and I tend to use "I just want... to sing!", "He buggered off! So he has, he's scarpered!" and, for some reason, "I'll bite your legs off!" quite often (we like Monty Python :smalltongue:). What sentences from fiction have entered your vocabularies?

Razanir
2014-01-24, 09:43 AM
The first thing that comes to mind is "Please and thank you!" which I associate with Kim Possible. (I say "I associate" because I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's older than that)

EmeraldRose
2014-01-24, 10:48 AM
Hmm...
"Spoilers!"
"I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry!"
"Good news everyone!"
"Ich habe Pläne grßse Pläne."
"Excellent!"

TheEmerged
2014-01-24, 11:02 AM
For me it's less the phrases than how they're said.

"You think as I do."
"I'm here." (has to be done with the proper growl).
"Whoooo needs a kick in the teeth?" (has to be with appropriate levels of glee)
"Well THAT explains a few things!" (see above)
"Good work Little Wooden Boy!" (see above)
"We require additional (insert here)."
"Now this is the main Control Panel..." Yes, I work a helpdesk, so this comes up a lot.
"So what you're saying is, your computer took an arrow to the knee?" (see above)
"I don't always know what I'm doing, and when I don't? I just Bing(tm) it."
"You keep using that word..."
"It's okay, I speak fluent typo."

I could keep going, but you get the idea.

WalkingTarget
2014-01-24, 11:23 AM
Individual words:
Grok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok)
Cromulent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromulent#Embiggen_and_cromulent)

Phrase:
Also, yes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jPAUjRTNU)
You are technically correct, the best kind of correct. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo)

I know that at one point in my life I had a larger contingent of Simpsons and Monty Python quotes in there, but they've fallen way off in recent years.

BWR
2014-01-24, 04:12 PM
Phrases by (or at least earliest written form we know of) Shakespeare (http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/phrases-sayings-shakespeare.html).

Edit: oops, teach me to read stuff properly.
Still, working with Shakespeare: "Not so much brain as earwax" and my personal favorite "Idol of idiot worshippers" tends to show up more often than strictly necessary.

Otherwise lots of MP - especially "Run away! Run away!"
Or lines from "Yes, Minister" - whenever the girl and I pass a park we have to say "Oh look, a park!"

Asheram
2014-01-25, 01:20 PM
I'm quite fond of using the Swedish translation for "(light) burn (you/me)" from the Wheel of Time.
I've on times used Grok in casual conversation.
Occasinally used Shiny from Firefly

I'm probably using a lot more borrowed words and phrases but these are the ones that spring to mind when I think about it.

Razanir
2014-01-25, 04:17 PM
I remembered another. The one Sindarin word that has worked it's way into my vocabulary (excluding any borrowings that already exist, like lembas from Quenya): "yrch" for "orcs".

Lentrax
2014-01-25, 04:22 PM
I have been known to shout Keelah at things when they frustrate me.

I also before a rough night at work have known to quip dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

And I'm starting to learn the various non-English curses from Firefly.

Because once, just once! I want to use Wash's "Shove all the planets in the verse up my rear end."

Bulldog Psion
2014-01-25, 04:59 PM
"Let the fighting Uruk-Hai do the work, as usual" -- whenever an extra task gets shunted onto me
"Hey, nice apparatus!" -- ridiculous gnome flirt from World of Warcraft
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness" -- Jack Sparrow, uses obvious
"Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt"
"When I was your age, Hal, I was not an eagle's talon in the waist"
Etc.

Then, of course, there are scads of non-fictional quotes from various historic writings and historical figures which pepper my speech also.

Yes, it's weird talking to me. :smallcool: And I like it that way.

Capt Spanner
2014-02-01, 01:01 PM
I use "as you wish" with very close friends.

I sometimes also use "I swear it shall be done" from same.

Star Wars quotes abound: "Stay on target, stay on target", "I have you now", "I have a bad feeling about this" and "your powers are weak, old man" - especially with people younger than me.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-01, 01:08 PM
"That does put a damper on our relationship."- Princess Bride
Usually when something goes wrong due to another person's actions.

Razanir
2014-02-01, 05:05 PM
Updated list:
"Please and thank you" -Kim Possible
"Yrch" -Sindarin for "orcs"
"Curiouser and curiouser" -Alice in Wonderland

Also, I have used the District 12 salute before.

Dallas-Dakota
2014-02-01, 06:23 PM
"It's just a flesh wound!"
"Duizend bommen en granaten!'' (A translation of a quote from Tintin from the two gentlemen with the bowler hats.)
"Why is the rum gone?"
"I've got a jar of (insert beverage here)" with the dance and tune ofcourse.

With the last two frequently being used at parties or when I'm working as a bartender.

SeeDarkly_X
2014-02-01, 06:38 PM
"It's funny if you're me..."
-

Jay R
2014-02-02, 11:47 AM
At the D&D table, I once said, "Maybe you're the plucky comic relief. Did you ever think of that?"

My wife and I occasionally respond to the other's frustration by modifying a Princess Bride quote, substituting the current issue: "She does not get eaten by the rush-hour traffic at this time."

One trope I've occasionally used is to use a partial phrase, knowing that they will fill in the rest.

"You keep using that word..."

When being asked advice: "Frankly, my dear, ..."

TheThan
2014-02-02, 12:56 PM
I tend to sing “brave sir robin” (Monty Python) while playing league of Legends, usually when I’m trying to kite an enemy or just running away so I don’t get killed.
I sometimes use (faux) curses and exclamations from sci-fi shows Frell from Farscape, Smeg from Red Dwarf, blast! From star wars (frack is too obvious).

I also tend to quote random 80s movies, but there’s too many to mention here.
An oddity, is that I often times quote flavor text from old magic the gathering cards, usually saying from Jaya Ballard, task mage the coolest (err hotest?) magic character ever.

“Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire!”
And
“Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead."
tend to crop up the most, in oddly appropriate situations.

Hyena
2014-02-02, 01:05 PM
Dammit! I'm an underachieving student, not a programmer!

AtlanteanTroll
2014-02-02, 01:10 PM
I use both grok and smeg somewhat conversationally. Oh, I also used "INCONCEIVABLE!" from The Princess Bride ... Other than that, I dunno. I'm sure there are other things, but I've probably forgotten.

dehro
2014-02-02, 01:19 PM
+1 on Inconceivable
what the frack...
vagoo (which I've taken from Licd, though I suppose it's pre-existing)
shazbot
I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of any others right now.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-02, 04:00 PM
I also tend to say 'Curiouser and curiouser', but that's practically become idiomatic. Other phrases include "What we got here . . . is a failure to communicate". I also say "Fascinating." in that breathless way Day from TNG would say it. (Not the murmuring rumble of Spock.)

Jay R
2014-02-02, 04:30 PM
I've been trying to clean up my language by using "Bother!" as a curse.

Ravens_cry
2014-02-02, 04:49 PM
I've been trying to clean up my language by using "Bother!" as a curse.
Hang spring cleaning indeed! Assuming that's your source, that is.:smalltongue:

Arkhosia
2014-02-02, 08:16 PM
"Spoilers!"
"Boop"
"'ello!"
"_____ ever. Of all time."
"I got better"
"Hot hot hot hothothot hot"
"mostly______ ... mostly"
"This, is an Ex-____!"

Dr who, RWBY, ASDFmovie, Red Vs Blue, Monty python, Tobuscus, Aliens, and Monty Python, respectively

Jay R
2014-02-02, 08:23 PM
Hang spring cleaning indeed! Assuming that's your source, that is.:smalltongue:

Actually, my source is Winnie-the-Pooh, not The Wind in the Willows.

Duck999
2014-02-02, 08:27 PM
No one has any idea how much my friends and I quote video games or youtube abridged series. We have had conversations made up of quotes.

Arkhosia
2014-02-02, 08:31 PM
I really wanna find a way to use "Ah, but that is the plan. Now that they know of our plan, they will plan around our plan, and we will plan around the plan they are planning around our plan!"

Duck999
2014-02-02, 09:23 PM
I really wanna find a way to use "Ah, but that is the plan. Now that they know of our plan, they will plan around our plan, and we will plan around the plan they are planning around our plan!"

Ah, but know we know you know we know your plan and you are planning around us knowing your plan, we will plan around your planning around of the plan we know you know we know.

(Trust me, this is phrased correctly. It does make sense if you figure it out.)

Rodin
2014-02-03, 12:01 AM
I find myself using "thrown out the airlock" as an expression. As in, "That's a bad plan, so let's throw that idea out the airlock".

Damn you David Weber!

dehro
2014-02-03, 03:56 AM
I just realized that if I lived in an english speaking country I would be making a whole lot more references to media and fiction born expressions. The same phrases however are not quite as iconic or recognizable (or even as widely known) in other languages, which spoils the whole thing and makes people stare oddly at you thinking "what the hell is he talking about?"... so I give up on making witty movie quotes.

that said, I just remembered a few more that I have had cause to use on occasion:
"show me the money!"
"hello, McFly, anybody home?"
"you/they can't handle the truth"

Asta Kask
2014-02-03, 05:37 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2730435328/hF0E82932/

TuggyNE
2014-02-13, 04:52 AM
I often say "Having got so far, it seems a pity to waste it" about something that is not really desirable in its current form, but is a lot more practical to finish more or less satisfactorily than some other more theoretically excellent proposal. This is of course from the Pooh books.

Doubtless I use many other phrases that are not now coming to mind, sadly; indeed that one only popped up because of a web design project.

Some … I hate to say vandal, but they really were … made a small business website that uses MS Office semi-proprietary VML markup interspersed in a nasty fashion with fallback HTML. Specifically, <map> and <area> and <table>. Styling is provided by immensely redundant inline CSS, copious amounts of position:absolute and font settings, and not much else. There are elements that are displayed in the header that in the source are in with the footer; there are long chains of half a dozen or so sets of nested and heavily-formatted elements with nothing inside but nbsp codes; there are hand-formatted circular CSS widgets enclosing hand-positioned links; and the whole thing is fixed-width and fixed-height. No, that's not a typo: if you edit the main text, the footer does not change position.

Sadly, the owner is badly cash-strapped, so there's only budget for very small changes. 2-3 hours or so. Rewriting it in something vaguely resembling sane coding (I'm a dab hand at just plain ol' HTML+CSS+JS; this isn't something that exactly demands a massive framework) would take a good dozen or more hours. :smallfrown: And thus, of course, I continue with the remaining hour or two of painful ghastly hand-tweaking and copy-paste fixing, because it's not practical to do it right.

SiuiS
2014-02-13, 07:33 AM
Individual words:
Grok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok)
Cromulent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromulent#Embiggen_and_cromulent)

Phrase:
Also, yes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-jPAUjRTNU)
You are technically correct, the best kind of correct. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo)

I know that at one point in my life I had a larger contingent of Simpsons and Monty Python quotes in there, but they've fallen way off in recent years.

Wait, grok isn't a word?

I use both grok and smeg somewhat conversationally. Oh, I also used "INCONCEIVABLE!" from The Princess Bride ... Other than that, I dunno. I'm sure there are other things, but I've probably forgotten.

Ah, now smeg, smeg is a word. Shortened from smegma.

Asta Kask
2014-02-13, 08:53 AM
Wait, grok isn't a word?

It is now. Enough people use it - what other criterion is it?

Ah, now smeg, smeg is a word. Shortened from smegma.

The origin of this word is unclear - while it is accused of being an abbreviation of "smegma," Grant Naylor insist that they saw the word on a foreign appliance, and co-opted it as an all-purpose cussword for their show "Red Dwarf."

Smegma means "soap" in the original Greek which makes me wonder about the people who named it. :smalleek:

Xuc Xac
2014-02-14, 03:16 AM

That's not originally from "Pirates of the Caribbean". It's a reference to an earlier work of fiction.

Fortuna
2014-02-14, 03:18 AM
Although it's not from any specific work, I presume that my use of "gods damn it" and "godsdamned" probably arises from my love of fantasy novels.

Jay R
2014-02-14, 11:34 AM

Captain Jack Sparrow.

druid91
2014-02-14, 12:26 PM
"Yes... Feel your hatred flowing through you." ~When people are getting annoyed at some stupid task that's harder than it should be. Like opening a jar.

"Shiny." from fire-fly is a nice one.

"And this was the day you almost [whateverthingalmosthappened] ... Captain Jack sparrow."

Fortuna
2014-02-14, 03:46 PM
"Shiny." from fire-fly is a nice one.

Oh, yes. That one's so natural to me now that I sometimes forget where it's from.

Yora
2014-02-14, 04:09 PM
and, for some reason, "I'll bite your legs off!" quite often (we like Monty Python :smalltongue:).
In my family and among my parents friends, there's really two sources of quotes: Monty Python (german dub), and the greatest icon of German comedy from the 70s, Loriot. (He's hilarious, but just untranslateable.)

Monty Python:
- "Fetchez la vache" (anytime someone has to go get something.)
- "What.... is your favorite color?" (when someone is about to start a question, but still thinking how to phrase it)
- "'Tis but a scratch!"
- "I didn't vote for you..." (expressing disappointment about a person in charge)
- "Look at the bones!"
- "That's no ordinary rabbit!"
- "and big nasty teeth!" (with hand gesture, of course)
- "Chaaaarge!!!"
- "Run away! Run away!"
- "Three... five!"
- "What a strange person."
- "None shall pass!"
- "Sit down, take a cookie." (Offering someone a seat.)
- "Everyone only one cross."
- "The Judean Peoples Front!"
- "Oh, you lucky bastard."
- "Otters' noses. Ocelot spleens"
- "Blessed are the cheesemakers."
- "Romans go home."
(My mother is a pastor and most her friends are from university or coworkers. They quote Life of Brian almost every day in some way.)

Loriot:
- "A piano! A piano!" (When you see someone got a piano.)
- "It's somebodies birthday?!" (When you hear about a birthday party, but didn't catch who'se birthday it is.)
- "This is my briefcase." (Commenting on unnatural dialog.)
- "Melusine! Caravel, caravel! (bad poetry)
- "What mask?" (when not quite understanding what someone wants you to do); It goes: Could you take of your mask? - What mask?)
- "Middle Fritham (http://youtu.be/ZygK3yvUee4?t=46s)" (struggling with unpronouncable English words.)

Other:
- "Chesswick! FRESH HORSES!" (When I need someone to get me something; Blackadder.)
- "Metal Gear?" (when unsure if I just understood something someone said correctly)
- Burnination!
- "Tatoes"
- "Damn it! Where did I put it?! (From a german gag-dub of Lord of the Rings.)
- "There is no bathroom!"
- "Get to the chopper!"
- "I'm the party pooper."
- "Sweetness!" (from Avatar)
- Crazy Idea: Part 2: (Bad Company)
- I sense a disturbance in the force
- "Or... I could summon a horde of angels? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw)"
- "Why skulls?"

Duck999
2014-02-14, 05:33 PM
In my family and among my parents friends, there's really two sources of quotes: Monty Python (german dub), and the greatest icon of German comedy from the 70s, Loriot. (He's hilarious, but just untranslateable.)

Monty Python:
- "Fetchez la vache" (anytime someone has to go get something.)
- "What.... is your favorite color?" (when someone is about to start a question, but still thinking how to phrase it)
- "'Tis but a scratch!"
- "I didn't vote for you..." (expressing disappointment about a person in charge)
- "Look at the bones!"
- "That's no ordinary rabbit!"
- "and big nasty teeth!" (with hand gesture, of course)
- "Chaaaarge!!!"
- "Run away! Run away!"
- "Three... five!"
- "What a strange person."
- "None shall pass!"
- "Sit down, take a cookie." (Offering someone a seat.)
- "Everyone only one cross."
- "The Judean Peoples Front!"
- "Oh, you lucky bastard."
- "Otters' noses. Ocelot spleens"
- "Blessed are the cheesemakers."
- "Romans go home."
(My mother is a pastor and most her friends are from university or coworkers. They quote Life of Brian almost every day in some way.)

Loriot:
- "A piano! A piano!" (When you see someone got a piano.)
- "It's somebodies birthday?!" (When you hear about a birthday party, but didn't catch who'se birthday it is.)
- "This is my briefcase." (Commenting on unnatural dialog.)
- "Melusine! Caravel, caravel! (bad poetry)
- "What mask?" (when not quite understanding what someone wants you to do); It goes: Could you take of your mask? - What mask?)
- "Middle Fritham (http://youtu.be/ZygK3yvUee4?t=46s)" (struggling with unpronouncable English words.)

Other:
- "Chesswick! FRESH HORSES!" (When I need someone to get me something; Blackadder.)
- "Metal Gear?" (when unsure if I just understood something someone said correctly)
- Burnination!
- "Tatoes"
- "Damn it! Where did I put it?! (From a german gag-dub of Lord of the Rings.)
- "There is no bathroom!"
- "Get to the chopper!"
- "I'm the party pooper."
- "Sweetness!" (from Avatar)
- Crazy Idea: Part 2: (Bad Company)
- I sense a disturbance in the force
- "Or... I could summon a horde of angels? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw)"
- "Why skulls?"

Fetch the cow whenever you go get something?:smallbiggrin:
Also, unless you are quoting something else, it is one, two, five! Three sir. Three!

GPuzzle
2014-02-14, 05:48 PM
I tend to say tropes out loud, but I generally quote Monty Python's "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!", or using the following line for FLCL: "Stop doing that, or the audience will start thinking you're really a nurse."

Then again, I'm one of the three people I know that get the references.

Socratov
2014-02-20, 12:06 PM
(oooh) shiny!
Jebus
Yessssss, let the [insert noun] flow through you
D'oh!
By Odin's Beard (especially on these forums)
this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo)
Ecxellent

and some others. Hmmmm... I notice The Simpsons having a profound influence on my English...

Shanty Man
2014-03-03, 10:44 AM
I regulally find myself quoting (or paraphrasing) the Doctor

some of my favorites include "There's no point in being grown up if you can't childish sometimes" or
"to the well ordered mind nothing is inexplicable, only explained"
There is one that I really want to use
"Here's is some information that should be of vital importance to you."
they ask me "what" and then I'll say "That you sir, are a nit wit!"

Aotrs Commander
2014-03-03, 12:09 PM
Frequently. Earthworm Jim is a particular favouite, though I probably most often find myself quoting Samwisw Gamgee. (E.g. "yet we may, Mister Baggins, yet we may" on completion of a task I was uncertain was completable or "if you haven't got it, you shall want it" etc etc.)

Aedilred
2014-03-03, 12:23 PM
Quite a lot of The Simpsons. Probably more than I realise.

Sylthia
2014-03-03, 10:23 PM
There are many, but a few from The Tick are my favorites. "I say to you. Stop being bad!"

Socratov
2014-03-04, 09:42 AM
Quite a lot of The Simpsons. Probably more than I realise.

well, they are quite quotable...

Scarlet Knight
2014-03-05, 11:23 PM
"He chose...poorly."

"Intercourse the ______ !" (fill in the blank with offending object)

SiuiS
2014-03-06, 05:52 AM
After crashing all of red dwarf available, smeg has become quite infectious.

GPuzzle
2014-03-07, 10:20 PM
"He's not the X, he's just a very naughty boy!"

Sylthia
2014-03-08, 11:32 PM
Another Python one I use from time to time is "They said they've already got one!" or some variant thereof.

Scarlet Knight
2014-03-09, 09:33 PM
Two quick Galaxy Quest quotes my family now uses:

"Weeeeeee need your help!"

"Oh, that's not right!"

Yora
2014-03-12, 07:23 AM
Technically not fiction, but when I try to do difficult races against the clock in video games I often shout "and across the line!" from Top Gear, when I finish a good run.

Jay R
2014-03-12, 10:02 AM
Two quick Galaxy Quest quotes my family now uses:

"Weeeeeee need your help!"

"Oh, that's not right!"

(When somebody wanted to quit)
"Maybe you're the plucky comic relief. You ever think about that?"

(On being given a really annoying task)
"Forget it! I'm not doing it! This episode was badly written!"

(When doing something boring)
"I have one job on this lousy ship, it's stupid, but I'm gonna do it!"

Socratov
2014-03-13, 07:46 AM
snip

"Oh, that's not right!"

and here I thought that was just a phrase and not a quote...

Drascin
2014-03-13, 08:40 AM
GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY!
Lo, I am slain!
Charlie Brown's "Good grief"
We must build additional [X]
Winnie the Pooh's "Think think think", with accompanying noggin hits.
"Ah, yes, a cunning strategy. No, wait, what's the opposite of cunning. That.", from DBZA's Raditz, when people make dumb suggestions.

Also, not words, but I got my fingers-to-forehead greeting and farewell gesture from Al Borland, of Home Improvement, and haven't been able to purge it from my instinctive behaviours.

Asta Kask
2014-03-13, 08:45 AM
Tentacles! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2csnVNai-o&feature=kp)

Whenever something cthulhoid turns up.

Domino Quartz
2014-03-14, 12:22 AM
From that episode of Spongebob Squarepants where Spongebob fails his driving course repeatedly, my family (especially my mother) took Mrs. Puff's quote: "Why, Spongebob, WHYYY?" and for a while would say it whenever one of us did something especially stupid or disastrous.

Scarlet Knight
2014-03-19, 08:56 PM
I use "as you wish" with very close friends.

I use "As you wish" to let my wife know that I am doing an unpleasant task only because I love her.

When she has a bad day, I go with "My advice to you... is to start drinking heavily."

Solamnicknight
2014-03-31, 11:24 PM
An old favorite of mine is "bags" from wizard's first rule. I also made a few up my favorite being "By Vecna's missing eye!" said this a few times in a local supermarket:smallbiggrin:

Fay Graydon
2014-04-01, 04:04 AM
I tend to quote movies and things all the time, however some that I use a lot:
"Frell (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRTDfyTMOUg)" - Farscape curse
"I used to be an [insert whatever here] till I took an [insert suitable item related to before insert} to the knee" - Obvious
"For Pony!"
"For the HORDE!"
"Bulls**t, god has horns (http://youtu.be/xMMAhEsP8kQ?t=1m6s)" - True blood, Used when calling someone out on something or generally not believing something
"Well I certainly wasn't expecting that (http://youtu.be/Fx9dXYIKA8M?t=2m18s)"
"That can't be true, that's impossible!"
"Aww Maaaaan! (http://youtu.be/Fx9dXYIKA8M?t=2m18s)"

A few others that probably have already been said.

EDIT:
Also EVERYTHING from this video :P (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ2X8PHAI6Y)

Somensjev
2014-04-01, 06:40 AM
i often quote the wizards rules, especially the first, fifth, sixth, eighth, ninth, and tenth (i usually paraphrase them)

1. People are stupid. They can be made to believe any lie because either they want to believe it's true or because they are afraid it's true.
5. Mind what people do, not only what they say, for deeds will betray a lie.
6. The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason
8. Talga Vassternich (high D'Haran for "deserve victory")
9. A contradiction can not exist in reality. Not in part, nor in whole
10. Willfully turning aside from the truth is treason to one's self.

there's also rule 11. The rule of all rules. The rule unwritten. The rule unspoken since the dawn of history (reading through the book which contains this rule people have come to the conclusion that the rule is similar to "Seek the truth not through others, but through yourself" but this cannot be verified, the book itself does not state what this rule is)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GwT_Qlj0Y

Curaced
2014-04-02, 09:18 PM
Here are some gems I tend to use:

"Dat not smart, Bob." (Pearls Before Swine)
"Stabby time!" (8-bit theater)
"My favorite color is blue... No! Yellowwwww!" (Monty Python)
"I'll think about it, Arnold." (Red Dwarf)

Fay Graydon
2014-04-03, 06:28 AM
Recently I have been quoting the Ferengi rules of Acquisition... Especially rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

GPuzzle
2014-04-03, 04:15 PM
Kill [someone], sorry [someone].

Get back in your rocket, and f*** off back to Legoland, you c****!

It's alright, [me]! It's just bolognaise!

You wanna be a big cop in a small town? F*** off the small village.

I still think nothing that has been suggested in the last 10 minutes beats 'smashy smashy egg men'.

Dear Lord, I quote Simon Pegg too many times.

Duck999
2014-04-06, 09:23 AM
Here is one I have been using more and more often:
I'm just... Sayin

Quote from TFS Abridged

Scarlet Knight
2014-04-06, 10:06 AM
Here is one I have been using more and more often:
I'm just... Sayin

Quote from TFS Abridged

We'll quote Long John Silver from "Muppet Treasure Island"..."I'm not sayin' we have problems. I'm not sayin' we're...unsafe."

Bulldog Psion
2014-04-06, 11:18 PM
Here's one that I use in my darker moments, from Sir Harry Flashman, V.C.:

"Humanity is beastly and stupid, aye, and helpless, and there's the end of it."

Socratov
2014-04-16, 06:26 PM
you know, since I have binged 5 seasons of Archer I have found myself adapting my speech patterns to those of the show. Among contenders are:

"name, name, name, NAME!" "-WHAT!"
"Phrasing! (nailed it)"
"Can't or won't?"

It's amazing how many times such opportunities arise...

Aedilred
2014-04-16, 07:01 PM
Now I think about it, quite a few Futurama quotes have found their way into my semi-regular vocabulary:

"Dude, my hands are huge. They can touch anything but themselves - oh, wait" - This has actually been adopted by other people I know who've never seen the episode in question.
"Ah, [...], another pointless day where I accomplished nothing."
Of course, the fairly common-now "Shut up and take my money!"
"An even equally [big] [object]"
"I have no strong feelings one way or the other".

I particularly find myself quoting Zapp when playing games, or meeting new people who look like they might have a sense of humour:
"In the game of chess you can never let your adversary see your pieces."
"If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards: Checkmate."
"Did my reputation precede me, or was I too quick for it?"
"What makes a man turn neutral? Is it power? Lust for gold? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"

And of course, from South Park this time:
"Screw you guys, I'm going home."

When I started wearing a hat last year, if anyone commented on it in any way less than complimentary, I'd reply "I wear a hat now: hats are cool." Although that's less an everyday turn of phrase and more a direct reference.

JabberwockySupafly
2014-04-16, 07:19 PM
I use 'Frak' (from BSG) a lot in place of cursing, due to working in a customer service environment.
'Aw, man!' in the style of Ted from Scrubs is also fairly used in my circle of friends.
'Is the Space Pope a giant lizard?' has been used on a number of occasions.
'Knife to the eye!' (Frankie's battle cry from The Goon) is used when some form of combat comes up (in video games, card games, boardgames).
And far too many Monty Python & Simpsons references than I could list are in heavy rotation.

HalfTangible
2014-04-16, 07:22 PM
"By the stars of Hodra" -This one I find really odd, since this is a phrase that I plan to use as a curse in my own book. Emphasis on 'plan to', it's not even in written in either of the rough drafts >.>

"Good gods..." -From OotS.

"I'm just sayin'" -Just like Yami from Yugioh Abridged.

"Burn the heretics!" -From Warhammer 40k. Don't ask what situation I use this in. Just know it's metaphorical - I do not actually burn people with different beliefs. Just wanna be clear on that.

"You crazy." -From either Ed Edd n Eddy, or Kids Next Door. I don't remember.

"Well if that's the case, maybe we can make an agreement for you to blow it out your ass." -From a Halo machinima.

"Look up 'idiot' in the dictionary, know what you'll find?"
Other person: "A picture of me?"
"No! The definition of the word 'idiot', which you ****ing are!" -I have no idea. I found it in a 'top 100 insults of of all time' video and I still laugh at it.