PDA

View Full Version : Wishmaster Revamped (Base Class)

Baron Corm
2007-01-24, 11:26 PM
The Wishmaster is a class which has various abilities tied to.... wishing!!!

They manifest arcane magic through massive willpower (wishing hard). This magic is sometimes delivered through a melee weapon due to the innate passion associated with that method. They also prey upon the wishes/desires of others, twisting them for their own ends. They make it a point of discovering people's innermost desires in case they ever have to use it against them.

Wishmaster

Table:

Level 1: Personal Growth +1
Level 3: Personal Growth +2
Level 4: Hope
Level 6: Grant Wish
Level 7: Personal Growth +3
Level 9: Personal Growth +4
Level 11: Higher Hopes
Level 13: Limited Wish
Level 15: Greater Grant Wish
Level 17: Wish
Level 18: Personal Growth +5
Level 20: Retroactive Regret, Personal Growth +6

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.
Base Attack Bonus: 3/4
Base Saves: Low Fort, High Will, Low Reflex
Class Skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty), Knowledge (History), Knowledge (Religion), Gather Information, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Search, Listen, Spot

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A Wishmaster is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor, but not with any type of shield. All of the Wishmaster's abilities are subject to Arcane Spell Failure if he is not wearing light or no armor or is using a shield. They do not provoke attacks of opportunity, but are subject to Concentration checks. Grant Wish and Retroactive Regret require a melee weapon equipped.

Personal Growth (Su)

The Wishmaster may find something about himself that he does not like, and over time can change this through wishing. At first level he picks an ability score and a Wishmaster class skill, and at levels 1, 3, 7, 9, 18, and 20, that ability score and that class skill go up 1 point permanently.

Hope (Su)

Starting at 4th level, the Wishmaster gains Inspire Courage as a 1st level bard, but requires no ranks of perform and it is always active, as an aura.

Grant Wish (Su)

Starting at Level 6, the Wishmaster may take a full-round action to charge his weapon. This causes his weapon to do no damage, and any attack he makes counts as a full-round action. He may strike an ally to heal anyone of the ally's choosing for 2 hit points/level or deal 1d8 damage/2 levels to an enemy of the ally's choice. The damage may be any type, energy or physical. If he chooses the healing, his weapon changes back to normal. It is the Wishmaster's decision whether to damage or heal, but the ally chooses who is damaged or healed. The Wishmaster may change his weapon back to normal as a full-round action. This may be performed once per day, and lasts for 1 round/level unless the Wishmaster cancels it.

Higher Hopes (Sp)

Beginning at 11th level, the Wishmaster's aura changes to Inspire Courage as from an 8th level bard (+2 bonuses).

Limited Wish (Su)

At 13th level, the Wishmaster may take a full-round action to cast Limited Wish, as the spell, with no material components required (but the XP cost is as normal). His caster level is equal to his Wishmaster level. He may do this once per day.

Greater Grant Wish (Su)

Starting at level 15, Grant Wish may heal or damage any two creatures of the ally's choosing, or the Wishmaster may stab himself to affect one creature of his choosing. It now lasts until the Wishmaster dismisses it.

Wish (Su)

At 17th level, the Wishmaster may take a full-round action to cast Wish, as the spell, with no material components required (but the XP cost is as normal). His caster level is equal to his Wishmaster level. He may do this once per day if he is casting a spell that does purely damage, otherwise once per week.

Retroactive Regret (Su)

At 20th level, the Wishmaster may take a full-round action to charge his weapon with the power of Regret, making anyone hit by it wish they had not done something that they will do in the future. This causes his weapon to do no damage and makes all attacks touch attacks. If hit, an enemy will take 1 point of CON, STR, and DEX damage, and he feels as if his future regrets are weighing him down. If his CON reaches 0 through this effect, his death is treated as death by old age, and he cannot be ressurected in any way.

In addition, the first time a creature is ever hit with this ability, he must make a DC 20 will save or be stunned for 1 round. Thereafter, every time he is hit he must make a DC 20 will save or be sickened for 1 round.

The Wishmaster may take a full round action to turn his weapon back to normal. Anyone but the Wishmaster wielding his weapon does not gain the benefits of this ability.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-25, 12:01 AM
You'd better have a LOT of attacks to effectively age someone to death with Retroactive Regret.
Also, any class that grants wish is pretty much begging for the "broken" stamp.

Edit: Don't want to come across nasty--I actually think this is a nifty idea.

Rebonack
2007-01-25, 12:18 AM
So....

Wizards and Sorcerers are broken?

Fizban
2007-01-25, 02:26 AM
Same problem as last time: no reason to take it. A d8 hit die and 1/4 BAB, with 4 skill points, a few ability bonuses to one ability, and the ability to cast limited wish and wish with the normal xp cost. They're not even Su abilities, you still have ASF for non-light armor. Absolutely no reason to take this class over anything else. Bard, Dragon Shaman, Sorcerer/Wizard, Cleric, anyone can do what this guy does, but better. Like the emerald said: cool idea, but not liking it right now.

Baron Corm
2007-01-25, 12:47 PM
it's 3/4 BAB, same as rogue. by level 20 he can deal 10d6 essentially unblockable damage to any two creatures in one round. he can lay on hands like a paladin, but affect two people by level 15. his capstone lets him kill an opponent in a way that he can't be ressurected. i'm thinking of changing that to dealing 1/50th of the enemy's lifespan in a hit or something? it's a support class just like bard, and in my opinion better...

fizban, do you have any suggestions for how to make it less underpowered as you see it? 4/4 bab and d10 would make him greatly surpass the fighter and bard... 6 skill points maybe. should i make his limited wish and wish Su? negate the xp penalty? i'm just seein criticism without the constructive part =/

ExHunterEmerald
2007-01-25, 12:51 PM
Well, 10d6 is sort of small potatoes at twenty.
I would ditch the "Age per hit" thing--A, you're probably not going to age a lot of people to death that way. B, the system itself is sort of confusing.
If you want to significantly age someone, age them 1d20% of their maximum lifespan per hit. I wouldn't even do that.

Baron Corm
2007-01-25, 03:44 PM
alright changed it to do ability damage, gave him 6 skill points, and made grant wish 1d8/2 levels. i figure most creatures will have either low dex, str, or con... so it takes 4 rounds for this guy to kill any dragon (10 dex) the way i have it (unable to move meaning you will be dead shortly). alright the idea here is for him to make the enemy to feel the effects of old age, and then die of it. if used on dragons it should probably advance them age catagories too. so how can i accomplish this? and of course it should have no effect on undead/constructs/whatever but i'll just add that in once the other mechanics are figured out.

Dragor
2007-01-26, 01:10 PM
Oh crap. I had an idea almost the same as this.

You've beaten me to it to post it on the GiTP forums.... I shed a tear.