PDA

View Full Version : Character Concept - Probably Not Original

RolandDeschain
2014-01-24, 12:11 PM
I want to build a dual Moon Blade wielding mage killer. I'm currently in the middle of a campaign, so probably won't be able to play this character for quite some time, but am curious what you guys can come up with.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-24, 03:27 PM
The Moon Elf weapon called moonblade or the Moon 3 spell called Moon Blade?

I don't think moonblades were updated to 3.X

EDIT: They moonblades appear on Magic of Faehrûn. They're intelligent NG swords (if you want to dual wield I suggest you make them short swords).

RolandDeschain
2014-01-24, 04:16 PM
The Moon Elf weapon called moonblade or the Moon 3 spell called Moon Blade?

I don't think moonblades were updated to 3.X

EDIT: They moonblades appear on Magic of Faehrûn. They're intelligent NG swords (if you want to dual wield I suggest you make them short swords).

Sorry, should have been more specific. I meant the 3rd Level Moon Domain spell.

The more I'm thinking about this though, getting access to the spell would pretty much preclude me taking the Mage Slayer feat line....grrr

Unless somebody knows a way around the -4CL cost of each of those feats, or a non-spellcaster based way of acquiring that spell.

Baroknik
2014-01-24, 04:46 PM

The more I'm thinking about this though, getting access to the spell would pretty much preclude me taking the Mage Slayer feat line....grrr

Unless somebody knows a way around the -4CL cost of each of those feats, or a non-spellcaster based way of acquiring that spell.

One more feat (Practiced Spellcaster) cancels out the penalty from mage slayer.

geekintheground
2014-01-24, 05:44 PM

custom magic item (gauntlet probably) 27000g (someone confirm please?) market price.

RolandDeschain
2014-01-24, 06:40 PM
One more feat (Practiced Spellcaster) cancels out the penalty from mage slayer.

I was thinking about that, but doesn't each of the feats in that "tree" incur the same penalty? Granted I don't have to take all of them....

RolandDeschain
2014-01-24, 06:41 PM
custom magic item (gauntlet probably) 27000g (someone confirm please?) market price.

I haven't looked into items yet. I try to not rely on magic items in my builds, but am more than willing to pursue this if it's the only real alternative.

Baroknik
2014-01-24, 08:36 PM
I was thinking about that, but doesn't each of the feats in that "tree" incur the same penalty? Granted I don't have to take all of them....

I had never noticed that. That does put a damper on things...
Look into a STP erudite to give it to you as a psion or psychic warrior then?

Or you know, just research it as a psychic warrior ability?

Slipperychicken
2014-01-24, 08:54 PM
Maybe you could be a cleric (maybe into RKV?) with the moon domain, DMM: Persist, and only enough turn attempts to persist 2 iterations of Moon Blade? When **** gets serious, you get up the caster, drop an AMF, and start wailing on him with regular weapons. Initiate of Mystra would help, depending on your cheese tolerance.

You forgot a x2 because the spell is has a minute/level duration.

Also, do Artificers need Caster Level? If not, you could use crafting cheese to score moon blades on the cheap.

geekintheground
2014-01-24, 08:59 PM
You forgot a x2 because the spell is has a minute/level duration.

isnt that only for continuous? i was thinking a "use activated" item (with a button or a rip cord). the only downside would be having to re-activate it in drawn out combats, but for continuous you wouldnt be able to put it away so social encounters might get weird (you could take off the gauntlet, but then youd have to put it back on duing an ambush).

Slipperychicken
2014-01-24, 09:02 PM
isnt that only for continuous? i was thinking a "use activated" item (with a button or a rip cord). the only downside would be having to re-activate it in drawn out combats, but for continuous you wouldnt be able to put it away so social encounters might get weird (you could take off the gauntlet, but then youd have to put it back on duing an ambush).

You're right, I confused the two :smalltongue:

RolandDeschain
2014-01-25, 03:48 AM
I had never noticed that. That does put a damper on things...
Look into a STP erudite to give it to you as a psion or psychic warrior then?

Or you know, just research it as a psychic warrior ability?

That's a pretty good suggestion, I forgot about the STP Erudite variant.

I've gotta say that getting that approved by our group's "council of DM's" might be kind of tough though. I know that class has come up before in discussion. I wonder if they would be more open to me researching a comparable psionic power like you mentioned.

RolandDeschain
2014-01-25, 03:52 AM
Maybe you could be a cleric (maybe into RKV?) with the moon domain, DMM: Persist, and only enough turn attempts to persist 2 iterations of Moon Blade? When **** gets serious, you get up the caster, drop an AMF, and start wailing on him with regular weapons. Initiate of Mystra would help, depending on your cheese tolerance.

It looks like the components that I want to take are going to be really difficult to bring together. The Moon Blade feature(I know it isn't optimal, but I love the flavor) and the AMF(also a great idea) are going to be nigh on impossible in conjunction with the Mage Slayer line of feats....grrrr

I may have to give up on the Moon Blades and go Psychic Warrior or give up on the Mage Slayer feats and do something like Cleric 5?/Occult Slayer.

RolandDeschain
2014-01-26, 09:18 PM
Would the capstone Abjurant Champion class feature counter the lost caster levels.

Some kind of sorcerer gish build with Domain Access(Moon Domain)/Abjurant Champion/Occult Slayer?

Any good PrC's granting spell resistance?

EDIT: I wish there were some sort of Divine version of Abjurant Champion...

geekintheground
2014-01-26, 09:37 PM
EDIT: I wish there were some sort of Divine version of Abjurant Champion...

that sounds pretty reasonable. abjurations are all about protection right? who better to embody that than users of divine magic? plus, wading into combat is their schtick too so it makes a lot of sense. would it be super unbalanced to let them?