PDA

View Full Version : Never mind I goofed

Jgosse
2014-01-24, 01:32 PM
when you become a half dragon your type changes to dragon and all your natural levels become dragon levels. You get a full BAB,all good saves, and a 6+int for skill points making those natural hit die a little easier to swallow.

So if you were planing on making a half dragon what is the best race to use to make the most out of your HD and your LA?

Red Fel
2014-01-24, 01:44 PM
You... What? Huh?

Where are you getting this? Certainly not from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm).

I'm confused. What is your source for this?

Jgosse
2014-01-24, 01:47 PM
I guess I should take a shot my self. Bugbear has 3Hd and +1 LA and gets good ability bonuses on its own. I don't know of anything with better then a 3-1 ratio of hd and LA.

Jgosse
2014-01-24, 01:51 PM
You... What? Huh?

Where are you getting this? Certainly not from the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfDragon.htm).

well now I feel like I have egg on my face "Do not recalculate base attack bonus or saves. " how did I miss that.

Urpriest
2014-01-24, 01:51 PM
You... What? Huh?

Yeah, Half-Dragon explicitly doesn't change BAB or saves. It bumps up your hit die, but not necessarily to d12, and it does increase skill points.

If you want RHD without much additional LA, Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale might be nice. You'd buff its hp and skill points, and it already has full BAB.

Red Fel
2014-01-24, 01:57 PM
Not to mention you don't "become" Half-Dragon. It's an inherited template, applied at character generation (or upon divine intervention/ wacky Reincarnation hijinks).

And I don't know what you mean by "your natural levels become dragon levels." Since it's taken at character generation, you don't have any "levels" to speak of. Do you mean your RHD increase?

Segev
2014-01-24, 02:00 PM
Yeah, the only templates I've seen that change your HD type, BAB, etc. (for RHD) are those that turn you into Constructs or Undead. Those that make you outsiders, dragons, etc., don't actually change your RHD from the base creature.

Jgosse
2014-01-24, 02:02 PM
And I don't know what you mean by "your natural levels become dragon levels." Since it's taken at character generation, you don't have any "levels" to speak of. Do you mean your RHD increase?

yeah I was talking racial levels.

Red Fel
2014-01-24, 02:11 PM
yeah I was talking racial levels.

In terms of racial levels, it simply increases the size of racial die, and adds a +3 LA. It does not otherwise change class HD. So on a creature with no RHD or LA, it doesn't change anything. A Half-Dragon Human, for example, has no LA and no RHD; applying the Half-Dragon template doesn't increase the size of RHD, because there are none, and provides a flat +3 LA.

But let's say we took a race with LA and RHD. For example, Lizardfolk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lizardfolk.htm). Lizardfolk has a +1 LA, and two levels of RHD (2d8). After applying the Half-Dragon template, we would increase the LA to +4 LA (+1 and +3), and those RHD would increase to 2d10. However, other features of Lizardfolk that stem from RHD (the BAB and saving throw bonuses) would not be changed.

With a +4 LA and 2 RHD, he'd also be an extremely cumbersome character to play.

So let's get back to your question. You ask, what's the best base race using your LA and RHD, with Half-Dragon template, is that correct? Is that question still on your mind, or have these clarifications to how Half-Dragon works rendered it moot?

Jgosse
2014-01-24, 02:20 PM
In terms of racial levels, it simply increases the size of racial die, and adds a +3 LA. It does not otherwise change class HD. So on a creature with no RHD or LA, it doesn't change anything. A Half-Dragon Human, for example, has no LA and no RHD; applying the Half-Dragon template doesn't increase the size of RHD, because there are none, and provides a flat +3 LA.

But let's say we took a race with LA and RHD. For example, Lizardfolk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lizardfolk.htm). Lizardfolk has a +1 LA, and two levels of RHD (2d8). After applying the Half-Dragon template, we would increase the LA to +4 LA (+1 and +3), and those RHD would increase to 2d10. However, other features of Lizardfolk that stem from RHD (the BAB and saving throw bonuses) would not be changed.

With a +4 LA and 2 RHD, he'd also be an extremely cumbersome character to play.

So let's get back to your question. You ask, what's the best base race using your LA and RHD, with Half-Dragon template, is that correct? Is that question still on your mind, or have these clarifications to how Half-Dragon works rendered it moot?

Kinda made it moot this was more of just a fun thought Idea, I never play them I have only ever used them as NPC's but apparently me never noticing I misread that line has meant that my players have been going up against stronger half dragons then they should of.