PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Shadow Sun Ninja Vampire Coffin Question

HaikenEdge
2014-01-24, 01:47 PM
According to the SRD entry on a Vampire's fast healing (bold for emphasis):

A vampire heals 5 points of damage each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. If reduced to 0 hit points in combat, it automatically assumes gaseous form and attempts to escape. It must reach its coffin home within 2 hours or be utterly destroyed. (It can travel up to nine miles in 2 hours.) Any additional damage dealt to a vampire forced into gaseous form has no effect. Once at rest in its coffin, a vampire is helpless. It regains 1 hit point after 1 hour, then is no longer helpless and resumes healing at the rate of 5 hit points per round.

However, according to the Shadow Sun Ninja entry from Tome of Battle (again bold for emphasis):

If this damage drops your Constitution to 0 or lower, your body dissipates into an inky cloud. Unless you are restored to life by true resurrection, you rise in 1d4 days as a vampire. Your alignment becomes evil, though your alignment on the law–chaos axis remains the same. You are now a dedicated champion of evil and an NPC. You retain access to all your abilities in this prestige class and lack a normal vampire’s vulnerability to sunlight. Your vampiric body forms in the spot where your mortal form perished.

This seems to imply Shadow Sun Ninjas who die via Balance of Light and Dark don't have a coffin, so how exactly does the former escape to coffin section of the Vampire's Fast Healing entry interact with a Shadow Sun Ninja?

Particle_Man
2014-01-24, 01:57 PM
I assume that the character has to be at rest in the dirt where it was created. It is just that coffins are great ways of moving that "dirt" around. Also great for shielding one from sunlight, which can destroy vampires.

So strictly speaking if you died underground in a dungeon, you could just go back there and the roof of the dungeon would make it your non-portable "coffin".

Not sure how this will affect Durkula, as he didn't take the time to move the rubble from the place where he was created with him. At least as far as I know. But OOTS doesn't have to obey RAW.

Also, as long as a vampire never, ever, gets below 1 hp, things are cool.

Red Fel
2014-01-24, 02:01 PM
I assume that the character has to be at rest in the dirt where it was created. It is just that coffins are great ways of moving that "dirt" around. Also great for shielding one from sunlight, which can destroy vampires.

So strictly speaking if you died underground in a dungeon, you could just go back there and the roof of the dungeon would make it your non-portable "coffin".

Not sure how this will affect Durkula, as he didn't take the time to move the rubble from the place where he was created with him. At least as far as I know. But OOTS doesn't have to obey RAW.

To be fair, ToB suffered from some poor editing. Even so, the SSN Vampire is already something special - for example, you "lack a normal vampire’s vulnerability to sunlight." In a sense, the coffin becomes unnecessary - why hide from the sun or sleep during the day, if the Sign of the Burning Hate is no longer a threat to you?

Even so, I imagine an SSN Vampire could easily take the time to craft himself a nice, cozy coffin. You know, after he's done scrounging up breakfast.