PDA

View Full Version : Is Powerful Build Alone Enough for +1 LA

wayfare
2014-01-24, 05:42 PM
Hey All:

Just wondering -- if you made teh signature ability of a race powerful build, with no other ablity modifiers, would that be enough for +1 LA?

OldTrees1
2014-01-24, 05:45 PM
No!

Large size is probably worth +1LA but faux large is not worth a full +1LA.

Mountain Rage Goliaths might be worth +1LA but probably not considering they had to trade away Rage (and thus can't select Whirling Frenzy, Ferocity or any of the other nice rages).

wayfare
2014-01-24, 05:47 PM
How about Powerful buld and +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence or Wisdom

OldTrees1
2014-01-24, 05:50 PM
How about Powerful buld and +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence or Wisdom

Still no.
Powerful Build is worth 1 feat. A race with Powerful build is comparable to a Human.

While high enough ability modifiers would push it into +1LA, high ability modifiers in exchange for LA is a trap.

Gwendol
2014-01-24, 05:57 PM
No, powerful build is not worth the LA alone. Far from it actually: the larger weapons are a minor pro, with the main advantage being the size mod when grappling, tripping, and intimidating.

Seerow
2014-01-24, 05:59 PM
Check out Half-Giant or Goliath. Both are +1 LA races with Powerful build. They both come with pretty good stat adjustments (net positive at least) and other special bonuses as well.

A race with just powerful build and nothing else is going to be gimped at +1 LA.

G.Cube
2014-01-24, 06:08 PM
No, powerful build is not worth the LA alone. Far from it actually: the larger weapons are a minor pro, with the main advantage being the size mod when grappling, tripping, and intimidating.

I've been lead to believe it was the larger reach.

OldTrees1
2014-01-24, 06:10 PM
I've been lead to believe it was the larger reach.

Aka the one thing that Powerful Build does not give.

Kennisiou
2014-01-24, 06:13 PM
Aka the one thing that Powerful Build does not give.

I was under the impression that if you did something like, say, powerful build wielding a large spiked chain you'd get the reach of a large creature using a large spiked chain? Is that incorrect? I'm aware wielding a non reach weapon as a powerful build creature doesn't give it higher than 5-foot reach.

Seerow
2014-01-24, 06:16 PM
I was under the impression that if you did something like, say, powerful build wielding a large spiked chain you'd get the reach of a large creature using a large spiked chain? Is that incorrect? I'm aware wielding a non reach weapon as a powerful build creature doesn't give it higher than 5-foot reach.

Reach weapons double your natural reach, regardless of the size of the weapon.

A large spiked chain in the hands of a medium creature still has 10ft reach, not 20ft. Despite the fact that the chain is 20ft+ long

strider24seven
2014-01-24, 06:25 PM
Powerful Build (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-faerun--23/jotunbrud--1702/) is a feat.
So it's not +1 LA.

kardar233
2014-01-24, 06:26 PM
Powerful Build (http://dndtools.eu/feats/races-of-faerun--23/jotunbrud--1702/) is a feat.
So it's not +1 LA.

Well, it gives you the increased weapon size so it's more like Jotunbrud + Monkey Grip - attack penalty.

strider24seven
2014-01-24, 06:28 PM
Well, it gives you the increased weapon size so it's more like Jotunbrud + Monkey Grip - attack penalty.

True - they are not exactly the same, but Jotunbrud gives the important aspects of Powerful Build.