PDA

View Full Version : Spells partial to a Traveler?

zeek0
2014-01-24, 07:17 PM
I am planning a wizard whose character is partially defined by that of an on-foot, down to earth traveler/adventurer type. I'd like his spell list to reflect that.

What spells are particularly good for this kind of character? I thought of Alarm (to place around the camp), expeditious retreat (for fast getaways), animate rope (for mountainous regions), and maybe tiny hut (for shelter).

What ideas do you all have? Also, if any items are particular to the concept, please mention them.

Thanks all.

roguemetal
2014-01-24, 07:47 PM
What level, and what sources are allowed?
Can I also get clarification on what you mean by "down to earth" type? Wizards are the exact opposite of mundane working types, as they employ spells to do all the work for them, and at a certain level become obscenely far from down to earth without sacrificing the ability to be a useful party member.

AmberVael
2014-01-24, 08:18 PM
Endure Elements, because if you're hiking around temperature control is great.

Rope Trick. Instant campsite- or refuge from a bear.

Mount. Even if you want to walk, a pack horse is handy to have. And this one doesn't cost you anything!

Slipperychicken
2014-01-24, 08:19 PM
By "down to earth", I'm going to assume you mean something like Gandalf the Grey's attitude.

I know you said "on foot", but the spells Mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mount.htm) and Phantom steed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/phantomSteed.htm) are a great boon to traveling wizards. If you are ever without a mount, now you have one, and the Phantom Steed spell quickly becomes faster than any mortal horse. Personally, I like to imagine Phantom Steed like Gandalf summoning his steed Shadowfax (the lord of all horses in middle earth, and IIRC the fastest one around). Even if you're averse to such magics, a regular mount would still be useful.

Endure Elements (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/endureElements.htm) is good for all manner of horrible temperatures, and the spells Resist Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resistEnergy.htm) and Protection from Energy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromEnergy.htm) will surely come in handy sometime.

For being practical and realistic, keeping a bunch of scrolls around will help that a lot, particularly abjurations, and those which deal with illusions, such as See Invisibility and True Seeing.

zeek0
2014-01-24, 08:28 PM
First of all, I am planning a swiftblade, so I will be utilizing melee combat. The traveler motif is obvious for this PrC.

I also find the classic conception of a wizard to be, well, boring. Hugely powerful, but not interesting because of it. I enjoy the idea of a wizard (at least at low levels) needing a proper job to get by.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-24, 09:03 PM
sink and float for when you don't want to fight water you need to cross

knock for when a door is in your way

cheat, for obvious reasons

any movement speed increasing or granting spell would make sense, as would any that negate terrain obsticals

any/all version(s) of plane shift and/or teleport

Krobar
2014-01-25, 01:03 AM
Leomund's Secure Shelter... because it's nice to have a roof and a cot. If you can do homebrew spells, eventually write a bigger, better version with a hot tub and multiple rooms and camp in style. If you have a cleric who casts Heroes' Feast, or you can write your own spell that creates some kind of gourmet feast, you can live better on the road than you do in town.

Magic exists to make our lives easier.and more comfortable.

I had a bard that, instead of learning Phantom Steed, wrote a spell called Flying Recliner.

SamsDisciple
2014-01-25, 07:29 AM
I "misplaced" my 3.5 books so I am not sure about this but I seem to recall a 0 level spell possibly named spark that would ignite flammable objects and fire is a necessity for most travelers. Yes there are tons of spells that can negate the need for it but if you are a low level traveling wizard then this is very nice to have. Also I feel that I need to mention silent image, I would assume that as a traveler you aren't necessarily out to right all the worlds wrongs but simply trying to get by and a silent image is wonderful for a temporary hiding place, an intimidation for an animal that sees you and wants to fight, and since it doesn't cause any direct damage it is less likely to cause uproars from the locals for burning their crops with a fireball.

lianightdemon
2014-01-25, 07:36 AM
prestidigitation lets you make a small flame for starting fires. Cleans up your campsight, can cook your food, or cool down your drinks. and various other uses. Only a cantrip so you should know it

Slipperychicken
2014-01-25, 09:09 AM
I "misplaced" my 3.5 books so I am not sure about this but I seem to recall a 0 level spell possibly named spark that would ignite flammable objects and fire is a necessity for most travelers.

Or you could save yourself the spell slots and use a flint and steel.

prestidigitation lets you make a small flame for starting fires. Cleans up your campsight, can cook your food, or cool down your drinks. and various other uses. Only a cantrip so you should know it

Prestidigitation doesn't let you replicate spell effects. That would be replicating the spell spark.

Lightlawbliss
2014-01-25, 11:49 AM
Or you could save yourself the spell slots and use a flint and steel.

Prestidigitation doesn't let you replicate spell effects. That would be replicating the spell spark.

that would depend on how you do it. If you make prestidigitation not do anything that might be mimicing another spell then things the spell specifically says you can do become impossible.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-25, 12:29 PM
that would depend on how you do it. If you make prestidigitation not do anything that might be mimicing another spell then things the spell specifically says you can do become impossible.

It's a cantrip, though. It's supposed to suck, and you can already gain tremendous utility from the explicitly-allowed functions.

Telonius
2014-01-25, 12:30 PM
Any of the Leomund's spells give you some nice shelters.

For Items:
PHB:
Boots of Striding and Springing (for increased speed)
Boots of the Winterlands (for getting across ice)
Slippers of Spider Climbing (for mountains)
Murlynd's Spoon (provides food)
Decanter of Endless Water (provides water)
Robe of Useful Items (useful items are useful)
Heward's Handy Haversack

Magic Item Compendium:
Magic Bedroll
Survival Pouch
Boots of the Unending Jouney (Relic for Fharlanghn)
(Item set) Raiment of the Four

Heroes of Battle:
Everlasting Rations