PDA

View Full Version : Ways to not need sleep/sleep less

Crake
2014-01-24, 10:22 PM
So what are all the ways you can avoid sleep, or need to sleep less? I know changing type to elemental, outsider, plant or undead eliminates the need for sleep, and in some cases eating and/or breathing, and I also know of the Remove Fatigue spell from book of exalted deeds, and of course the well-known ring of sustenance. Is there anything else out there?

If not, what are some easy ways to get outsider, elemental or plant types without really changing a character's appearance. Undead is not an option (need to still be a living character when all's said and done).

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-24, 10:26 PM
Fortifying bedroll. I think it was in either MiC or Heroes of Battle.

watchwood
2014-01-24, 10:28 PM
Pathfinder has a 1st level spell called Stand Watch, which lets you not need to sleep at all. It's effects are completely lost if a fight happens, though.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-24, 10:32 PM
Um. There is a spell that changes your familiar into an elemental, I believe. Mind switch on the familiar? This requires some acrobatics, though, like Cerebremancer, and it's duration isn't great. But the idea is repeatable in other instances. Find a way to assume the traits of another type that doesn't need sleep long enough not to need sleep. The game has no rules or suggestion that time spent temporarily not needing sleep later adds to time since sleeping, which would be weird anyway.

I'm pretty sure there is an alchemical thing somewhere that is essentially caffeine. Not a permanent solution. Check Shax's list of stuff for the HHH, he might have it there.

Also, I'm pretty sure that somewhere there is an effect of taint that causes insomnia. That's probably not what you are interested in, but worth a look, perhaps.

Gavinfoxx
2014-01-24, 10:32 PM
restoration line of spells, phb.

Red Fel
2014-01-24, 10:40 PM
Fortifying bedroll. I think it was in either MiC or Heroes of Battle.

Heward's Fortifying Bedroll. 8 hours of sleep in a single hour, 1/day, a steal at 3,000 gp. Complete Mage.

Thurbane
2014-01-24, 10:46 PM
Elf needs to sleep less than other humanoids:

Elves do not sleep, as members of the other common races do. Instead, an elf meditates in a deep trance for 4 hours a day. An elf resting in this fashion gains the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep. While meditating, an elf dreams, though these dreams are actually mental exercises that have become reflexive through years of practice. The Common word for an elf’s meditation is “trance,” as in “four hours of trance.”

Crake
2014-01-24, 10:58 PM
Elf needs to sleep less than other humanoids:

Hmm, the character's race is already decided, so elf isn't possible, although I could maybe have the character learn to meditate instead of sleep from an elf

wayfare
2014-01-24, 11:02 PM
If you are at creation, you can be an Elan. They do 4 hours of rest and can subsist on 1 pp/day.

Phelix-Mu
2014-01-24, 11:44 PM
There are a couple playable plant races. I don't know if they retained the ability to sleep. I think the one I am thinking of is from Unapproachable East FR supplement. Totally drawing a blank on the name, though.

Crake
2014-01-24, 11:53 PM
There are a couple playable plant races. I don't know if they retained the ability to sleep. I think the one I am thinking of is from Unapproachable East FR supplement. Totally drawing a blank on the name, though.

I suppose should make it clear that character creation is over, the player's race is decided, so templates are probably a better/easier option than finding a way to full-on change his race, not that I'd imagine the player would want to chance his race anyway. I think right now the fore-running option looks like half-air elemental.

Rubik
2014-01-24, 11:59 PM
To round things out, warforged don't need to sleep.

As mentioned, Restoration removes fatigue.

A ring of sustenance gives you a full 8 hours' worth of rest in 2 hours (though any spells you've used in the last 8 hours count against your next day's spell reserves, depending on class). Also, most divine casters can only pray for spells 1/day, regardless of rest.

If you're a psionic character, pp recharge combined with one of the ways to cure or avoid fatigue means you never have to sleep for any reason (so long as you don't multiclass into something with spell slots, anyway).

Also, do you really not know the difference between plural and possessive?

juicycaboose
2014-01-25, 12:49 AM
Hmm, the character's race is already decided, so elf isn't possible, although I could maybe have the character learn to meditate instead of sleep from an elf

If someone in yr party is an elf or half-elf there's a Teamwork Benefit in PHBII that allows a whole party to meditate like an elf, requires members have 1 rank in concentration and the 'leader' to have elf-blood

Venger
2014-01-25, 01:52 AM

Volodni are the only playable plant race that I know of, and they are indeed in unaproachable east. The plant type means that they do not have to sleep. it's awfully steep at LA 2, though

If someone in yr party is an elf or half-elf there's a Teamwork Benefit in PHBII that allows a whole party to meditate like an elf, requires members have 1 rank in concentration and the 'leader' to have elf-blood

It's called group trance.

The wakeful mind graft from faiths of eberron obviates the need to sleep as well.

Becoming an outsider is pretty much as easy or hard as you'd like to make it, OP. you can have it as your capstone from a 20 lvl class like incarnate, a 10 lvl class like acolyte of the skin (NB: do not take acolyte of the skin) or even a 5 lvl class like knight of the sacred seal.

Or you can skip all that nonsense and roll a neraph from the planar handbook. outsider type without any LA or RHD (prepare for your party to make plenty of battletoads jokes though)

Zanos
2014-01-25, 02:44 AM
Any one of numerous undead templates will remove the need to sleep.

Crake
2014-01-25, 05:44 AM
Volodni are the only playable plant race that I know of, and they are indeed in unaproachable east. The plant type means that they do not have to sleep. it's awfully steep at LA 2, though

It's called group trance.

The wakeful mind graft from faiths of eberron obviates the need to sleep as well.

Becoming an outsider is pretty much as easy or hard as you'd like to make it, OP. you can have it as your capstone from a 20 lvl class like incarnate, a 10 lvl class like acolyte of the skin (NB: do not take acolyte of the skin) or even a 5 lvl class like knight of the sacred seal.

Or you can skip all that nonsense and roll a neraph from the planar handbook. outsider type without any LA or RHD (prepare for your party to make plenty of battletoads jokes though)

I'd consider making a feat out of group trance, which allows someone to learn trancing from an elf, see if the player's interested in that. Wakeful mind is also an interesting option, and something that would be decently fitting in my campaign.

Also, do you really not know the difference between plural and possessive?

Sorry man, typos happen.

Grayson01
2014-01-25, 07:33 AM
Warforged Warlock with See the Unseen and Devils Sight Walking Night Time Patrol BoT!

Jeff the Green
2014-01-25, 08:08 AM
Sleep is only necessary because of forced march rules (and recovering spells), which cause you to take 1d6 points of non-lethal damage per hour on a failed Fort save. You recover an amount of non-lethal damage each hour equal to your HD. So all you have to do is be 6th level or over and you don't really need to sleep.