PDA

View Full Version : Playing WFB&40k Differently, Wierd and Wonderful Armys

Adlan
2007-01-25, 07:28 AM
I play 40k, but recently, I've started playing armys that you wouldn't think would work, but do. And not just as one hit wonder lists focussing on one aspect to win, but as viable tournament Lists.

My first army where I did this was a pure saurus Lizardman list, I mean, everyones heard of the beardy all skink armylist. Now try facing over 60 saurus in 1500 points, Oh the Fun, Just Saurus, Coldones, and koroxigors, No skinks, no magic (marks of tepoc aplenty though).

Then I played a pure Human Dogs of War army, all infantry, relying soley on man power (and 16 foot pikes). Not as different, but still not what people expect.

My Final peace of insanity was a Pure scout 40k army, pure scouts, scout bikes, landspeeders, and one model in power armour. Surprisingly viable, acts more like a guard army on steroids than a spacemarine army. Weight of numbers suddenly matters, SMQ's tend to treat scouts as easy prey, till they realise that they have equal stats, bar the armour save.

Add to that a lower points cost, move through cover and Vetran Sargents with Combiflamers, and you are cushdy.

And thats just in an ordinary, relativly open 40k game, if you play cityfight, oh the evil, evil fun.

So What army varients do you play that shouldn't work, but do? Closecombat tau, guard with no tanks, Shooty nids, Undead with no magic?

Penguinizer
2007-01-25, 08:45 AM
I go with a balanced nid army. One tau army ive seen is the hover only tau army.

Hoggmaster
2007-01-25, 11:25 AM
I have done the All Foot IG army, and place fairly high (top five) in tourneys... Fear the massed ranks of las guns. In this tourney I fought Dark Eldar (They took many slaves that day), Grey Knights (Wiped the floor with em) and Chaos Marines (nearly a draw) 1-1-1 for any army with only 1 save greater than 4+ (Ally Inquisitor). My Fast reaction force -- a squad of paradrop stormtroopers... they, in the battle with the grey knights, surrounded a unit of Termis and opened up with 16 hellguns and 4 plasma shots killing the entire squad, It is what really won the game for me.

Eldpollard
2007-01-26, 06:44 PM
I play skaven for wfb. and since you have to have clanrats it means the weird option is somewhat limited.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-01-26, 07:06 PM
An army of Gretchin. Ohhh yeaaaah.

PokeTheBard
2007-01-27, 08:57 AM
I like my Death Guard Lost & the Damned, personally. It's got the compulsory two traitor squads, 5 Spawn, 2 Leman Russes and a couple of Death Guard squads in Rhinos that usually set up a defensive bunker in the middle of the board and pick off anyone who approaches.

Then there's the ten Terminators with the Chaos Terminator Lord with Manreaper which cost a fortune but with the Mark of Nurgle and all their saves make for a tidy little line-breaker.

Slurg
2007-01-28, 06:31 PM
I play Tau and I play a straight up speed army. It's great for capturing objectives, and very easy to adjust to a change in the battle.

I also play a destructive skaven army, where everything dies... and I mean everything.

heretic
2007-01-28, 06:38 PM
I saw an all scout army last week get themselves smeared across the tabletop by some nids...

I've got nuthin'. Just normal guard. A lot of infantry and a healthy ration of tanks.

Mr. Moon
2007-01-28, 07:47 PM
Not acutaly a troop list, as I tend to go for the obvious all close-combat 'Nid list, save for my Termaguants that I got with Battle For Macrgee (I spelt that wrong, didn't I?), who I hope to someday replace with Hormoguants. Or maybe more Genestealers! ~_~

Instead of troops, I go with paint jobs. I have this wonderfully clumpy gloss varnish, bought from a specialty store, which tends to leave little crystal-like lumps. This, along with with lots of saliva and blood effects from letting PVA glue drip-dry, uber-long tounges made of Greenstuff, and several coatings of the varnish, makes them look like they just got out of whatever pits they were created in.

Selrahc
2007-01-29, 03:24 AM
I like my Death Guard Lost & the Damned, personally. It's got the compulsory two traitor squads, 5 Spawn, 2 Leman Russes and a couple of Death Guard squads in Rhinos that usually set up a defensive bunker in the middle of the board and pick off anyone who approaches.

Then there's the ten Terminators with the Chaos Terminator Lord with Manreaper which cost a fortune but with the Mark of Nurgle and all their saves make for a tidy little line-breaker.

Um I think you misread something there....

Traitors aren't compulsory, mutants are.

Hoggmaster
2007-01-29, 06:58 AM
No he is correct you must have 2 full traitor squads (15 man squads) to take the compulsory choice...

As to the Nurgle Termy Lord w/ Manreaper with Termy bodyguard... overkill...

Selrahc
2007-01-29, 07:43 AM
Mutant squads for all compulsory troop choices. Not traitors.

Seriously, check the book if you want, I can't find my Eye of Terror codex, but I am looking at the secondary evidence of a battle report in White Dwarf stating just that.

Adlan
2007-01-29, 07:55 AM
I thought you required a traitor squad for very tank you had in your force?

Selrahc
2007-01-29, 08:02 AM
Yes, thats true.

However the base two troop squads need to be mutants. From there you can take traitors, which allow you to play the traitor Imperial tanks.

Logic
2007-01-29, 08:25 AM
Always wanted to play WH40K, but no one in my area sells them. To top it off, I don't know the relative cost of putting together a decent army and can't paint to save my skin.
Anyone have viable options for me?

Hoggmaster
2007-01-29, 10:56 AM
Seattle should have some shop where you can purchase GW stuff... for painted stuff... e-bay is your best bet for painted stuff at good prices (far better than purchasing it your self and hiring someone to paint). Other on-line retailers ... the warstore does people right.

Hoggmaster
2007-01-29, 11:09 AM
Never, ever trust white dwarf battle reports to give you an evidence of rules adherence. You may be right, will double check when I get home, I was working on a LatD list for an upcoming tourney, muy importante...

Selrahc
2007-01-29, 11:21 AM
They say the same thing in three seperate reports though. Plus the fact that I've been playing Lost and the Damned for like a year and a half.

Monkeyking
2007-01-30, 02:53 AM
A full combat movement dwarf army.....what's the weird part? a unit of 35 clansman......with a master rubne of fear with BSB hidden in there which means it is a super unit of skeletons that always marches 6 inches......

my weird themes seem to revolve more around the painting scheme of things....

Democratus
2007-01-30, 10:20 AM
I'm putting together a Night Lords army now that is 1 Leutenant, 2 tiny tac squads, and 30 Raptors! Bunny hop of death!

madfool2
2007-01-30, 02:13 PM
Im planning a light infantry guard army, themed around urban warfare, this mean's troops and sentinels galore.

Penguinizer
2007-01-30, 02:15 PM
I think I might try out an all Genestealer army sometime. If I get enough Genestealers some time.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-30, 02:26 PM
I think I might try out an all Genestealer army sometime. If I get enough Genestealers some time.

I have a mostly genestealer army. I must have at least 32 of them somewhere. I never focused on one army enough to get more than 1000 points.

I used to play an all Gor Beastman army but now that I can't do that my Beastman army is useless since 20 Bestigors, a Shaman, a Lord and a Minotaur lord does not an army make.

Mr. Moon
2007-01-30, 09:23 PM

Oh, that sounds like fun. I should try that. I'm already pretty close: My only none Gene-stealer unit is the Termagaunts that came with Battle For Macregge. The other two are a Broodlord with a retinue and geuss what? A brood of Genestealers! ;P

Penguinizer
2007-01-31, 12:18 AM
I got a battleforce with one extra box of gaunts, a zoanthrope, and a brood lord. although I prefer my all melee 500 point army, 16 hormos, 8 genes,Broodlord. zoanthrope.

PokeTheBard
2007-02-02, 07:44 AM
In actuality, Compulsory Troop choices for a lost and the damned army
must be picked from the lost and the damned troops list, either mutants or traitors. (I don't think Gibbering Hordes count). and must also be maxed out in unit strength (size). So either two squads of 30 mutants, two squads of 15 traitors or one of each.

Kyrsis
2007-02-02, 08:37 AM
Oh I miss 40k so much! I haven't played since my Nebraska days really....I love Tyranids, typically with my Hive Tyrant, Carnifex and the rest hormagaunts. People always thought it was odd, because of the easy death rate of Gaunts, but when there are so many...same with my Dark Eldar, one HQ choice, along with all troops and wyches and (sometimes) a Talos.
Not to change subject, but how's the new Nid codex? Yup haven't played in that long...

Penguinizer
2007-02-02, 10:28 AM
It made the things even more customizable. With lots of good combos.