PDA

View Full Version : What does the quote mark in a post do?

Hogwarts9876
2014-01-25, 03:17 AM
Next to the word Quote.

Jimorian
2014-01-25, 03:33 AM
Next to the word Quote.

It lets you pull quotes from several different posts into your reply. Hit the " symbol for each post you want to pull a quote from (it will then highlight green), then hit the Reply button in lower left corner and they will all be sequenced in your reply box.

Jimorian
2014-01-25, 03:34 AM
It lets you pull quotes from several different posts into your reply. Hit the " symbol for each post you want to pull a quote from (it will then highlight green), then hit the Reply button in lower left corner and they will all be sequenced in your reply box.

Next to the word Quote.

Like this (it will put them in the order that you press the " symbol).

Hogwarts9876
2014-01-25, 04:28 AM

Like this (it will put them in the order that you press the " symbol).

Wow, thanks! I've been trying to work out how to do that for ages!

SiuiS
2014-01-25, 04:55 AM
It is the multi quote button. Hit it next to a post you want to respond to, and when you hit "post" later, the last ten things you hit the " best to will show up.

TuggyNE
2014-01-25, 07:47 AM

Occasionally I run into this, where I want some function built into the UI and then I think, wait, where would they have put that? And lo and behold there it already is.

erikun
2014-01-25, 09:49 AM
Note that you can also just click on the "quote" of each post, then copy-paste them all into one response. This is needed if you want to quote people on different pages, as the " only works for the page you're on.

I keep forgetting about it entirely, primarily because most threads I reply to have posts on different pages I want to respond to, requiring doing the latter. It is, however, a very nice feature on the forum!

ChristianSt
2014-01-25, 12:11 PM
Note that you can also just click on the "quote" of each post, then copy-paste them all into one response. This is needed if you want to quote people on different pages, as the " only works for the page you're on.

I keep forgetting about it entirely, primarily because most threads I reply to have posts on different pages I want to respond to, requiring doing the latter. It is, however, a very nice feature on the forum!

While your post is correct that you can post/copy quotes (which is needed if you want to quote from a closed thread - you need to "build" the quote yourself then), that isn't needed in the case you describe (though I normally do it that way myself).

If you use the multiquote button and visit another thread/page on the forum and reply to it, then your editor window is empty, but there is (at least for me), the option "You have selected X post(s) that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts.". It is quite easy to miss, but it is there right beneath the editor window. (I'm not sure how exactly it works, so how long these kept or what happens if you navigate away from the site or you use multiple browser windows), but for some people it might be easier.

Amidus Drexel
2014-01-25, 12:13 PM
Also worth noting: the multiquote button will only hold ten or so posts for you. If you try to quote more than that, you'll lose some.

TuggyNE
2014-01-25, 08:17 PM
Also worth noting: the multiquote button will only hold ten or so posts for you. If you try to quote more than that, you'll lose some.

Oldest first, and with no warning. Rather tedious when it happens. :smallannoyed:

SiuiS
2014-01-25, 10:23 PM

This is not true.

This is very, painfully true. Y_Y