PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Help Building an Axiomatic Prestige Class

Dazhbug
2014-01-25, 03:28 AM
Hey there folks! I've found myself recently becoming embroiled in a lovely little Pathfinder campaign, wherein I'm playing a rather grumpy elven chap named Arafel, who specializes in the arcane arts (wizard, to be perfectly precise). Now, for the nonce I'm perfectly settled on building my spellbook and looking for new and better pointy hats, but the plan is for the campaign to reach level 20 plus ten mythic levels, and so I've started to ponder forward story, as well as back story. (http://www.bmloeffelman.com/stuff/Arafel_questionarie.html) Being dead set on finding out the inner mechanisms and equations which run the universe, Arafel has a decidedly Lawful bent, but not in the usual "Just following orders" or "die, criminal scum!" sort of way; he's much more interested in the deeper laws of creation.

So, I set out to see if there were any interesting prestige classes out there that I could take advantage of. Now, from a pure crunch standpoint, I really enjoyed the mechanics of both the Diabolist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/c-d/diabolist)and the Alienist (http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-options/prestige-classes/779-alienist) (the later I will admit some bias towards due to my re-reading the Tales of Wyre), but neither particularly fits my wizard's leaning towards logic and mathematical rule. Some hunting around d20pfsrd lead to my (re)discovering inevitables and thence axiomites, and that certainly grabbed my attention; I think moving in that direction would be absolutely delightful, especially with the talk of Axiomites who delve into the secrets of the Spheres (Inner Sea setting, mind you). Right up Arafel's alley!

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be the ideal prestige class for what I have in mind, but that just means I get the chance to try to make one! Lacking experience in the area, I have come here for some much needed assistance. My goal is to make something rather akin to the "flavour" of both the Diabolist and Alienist, in that as the character progresses down the PrC they start to manifest signs of their studies. Other ideas I've had were to have the class focus on the crafting/summoning of inevitables (maybe it grants Craft Construct?), as well as self-modification, with the promise of cyborgification/"uploading" (becoming Axiomatic?) at the top end of things.

I have a general first stab at mechanics that I'll try to get together and post here tomorrow, but in the meantime I would absolutely love to hear any thoughts or advice, either on an Axiomatic PrC in specific or the writing of prestige classes in general.

TuggyNE
2014-01-25, 03:49 AM
If I recall correctly, Green Star Adept culminates in becoming a construct. It is marred only by being an utterly terrible PrC. Still, perhaps you can look at it, if only as an example of what not to do.

Popertop
2014-01-25, 05:35 AM
my main issue with Green Star Adept is that it's half caster level, can't remember what else I didn't like about it.

Zanos
2014-01-25, 05:53 AM
my main issue with Green Star Adept is that it's half caster level, can't remember what else I didn't like about it.
It has some pretty nasty RP requirements. You have to find more metal each time you want to take a level in the PrC, and all of the adepts fight over it, so you'll probably have to murder a bunch of people everytime you level up.

While murdering people to level isn't exactly abnormal, going on a personal quest everytime you want to level-up can be extremely annoying.

There are a couple of knowledge related PrCs that might interest OP. The loremaster is the obvious one, but there's also the Paragnostic Apostle in complete champion. Using their knowledge of how the world works to augment their powers is basically their entire shtick.

Renegade Mastermaker is an 8/10 PrC that has you become a living construct at level 10, so that might fit the flavor. It's Ebberon specific,

Dazhbug
2014-01-25, 11:45 PM
Fussing together a rough first pass at things. To illuminate my efforts, what are the regarded big strengths/weaknesses of crafting constructs? I.E. what shouldn't be lost, and what would make it eminently more useful?

And if I can't manage something interesting on my own, Paragnostic Apostle looks veeeeeeeeeery eenteresting.

Particle_Man
2014-01-26, 01:16 AM
Seems like Loremaster might work (a little reskinned, perhaps). You are really seeking knowledge about the universe, after all, and having knowledge is sort of their schtick, at least flavour wise. Plus you don't lose any caster levels.

There is even some nice overlap between the prerequisites for the Craft Construct feat and those for the prestige class.

Dazhbug
2014-01-26, 02:31 AM
Truth, but I've never built a prestige class from scratch before and I'm having fun with it =D

I'm toying with the idea of making the PrC turn you part/all construct, so you get to start install construct mech in yourself. And possibly being able to use Make Whole/Rapid Repair on yourself.