PDA

View Full Version : playing WoW still or not

Erloas
2007-01-25, 10:31 AM
I just wanted to get a poll of hopefully mostly unbiased people about WoW. Given everyone has their bias, but it will be much better then if I asked the same question on a forum for any specific game.

The question I'm trying to find is if WoW is still going strong or if people are getting done with it. With Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, and many others coming out in the next year it will be interesting to see how well WoW manages its hold. I'm of the theory that it was just in the right place at the right time with decent gameplay to back it up, though that gameplay is just decent and not that hard to beat. That is of course just my opinion of WoW.

Midnight Son
2007-01-25, 10:43 AM
I've never played WOW and never will. That's just the rebel in me. Kinda interested in what Vanguard has to offer, though. I just wish it wasn't being offered through SOE. Currently playing Guild Wars.

thatwolfguy
2007-01-25, 10:51 AM
i've been a crack addict for years - that is, Evercrack, not real crack...well, Everquest is real, but...whatever - and switched to WoW this year 'cause a friend of mine that i used to EQ with started playing WoW and got it for me for Christmas. I've pretty much made the switch complete, haven't played EQ at all lately and been playing WoW a few hours a day (hey, some people have television a few hours a day, i have computer games, don't judge me!). it's all kinda just more of the same to me, but it's still addicting. anyway, once you start, it's hard to walk away from something that you've put so much time into, so your poll might find that lots of people who have been playing WoW for a while will continue to do so - especially with the new expansion - they'll probably all try new races, and you'll see a lot of people who have played Hoarde to death trying the blood elf paladins 'cause they want to see what playing a paladin is like (and because they're broken). just MHO, it will be interesting to see.

Alarra
2007-01-25, 11:07 AM
Hi. I'm a thread about a game. Off to gaming I go...

Artanis
2007-01-25, 11:22 AM
You left a very important option off the list: "Used to play, but quit because I wanted to pass my classes"

Dihan
2007-01-25, 11:28 AM
And "Used to play but quit because it was boring" :P

Saurina
2007-01-25, 01:25 PM
I used to play, then quit in October because it got boring. I pre-ordered the expansion (CE) and decided to re-subscribe and try it out. So far, it has been pretty fun getting to play in a new starting area and exploring the new quest lines. I predict that you will see a lot of casual players to moderate raiders remain in WoW for quite a while, even after new games get released. , but I think that most hard-core raiders are going to jump ship since a lot of the high end content requires a lot of grinding (faction, limited spawn drops, etc).

RecklessFable
2007-01-25, 01:50 PM
Used to play WoW and did the whole Elite Raiding Guild thing. Got burned out, needed to take my life back, that whole thing. Tried going back but I just can't stand grinding mobs for XP and farming materials for alchemy/tailoring/whatever anymore.

Grinding reputation was even worse. I killed a couple thousand Furbolgs to get rep enough to be able to make Mooncloth boots. Grinded Demons for Felcloth. Made Mooncloth from Felcloth. Farmed the Pearls for the recipe. Made the Boots. Solds a few pairs in the AH.

A few months later boots drop in an instance that are far superior. What a waste. Now there are new things to grind in the expansion, and OH BOY, a new profession to farm mats for endlessly.

The only thing I'd go back for is PvP but I can't stand the thought of leveling up to 70.

I'm really happy with DnD Online. It is fun. More mature playerbase. You can be competitive without being uber. But if uber is your thing you can do that too and run instances undermanned for fun.

TheChris
2007-01-25, 01:50 PM
I've played WoW since the closed beta. Ironically I have actually never hit 60. Mostly this is because I suffer from mid-level crisis. At this point I get pretty tired of my character and make a new one. I had taken a break from wow for quite some time and then the expansion came out. This pulled a lot of my friends back and now I'm playing again because, well, nothing like sitting back and beating down the alliance while talking to friends.

Arlanthe
2007-01-25, 01:59 PM
I play WoW, but only until something better co;es along.

That might just be Vanguard. The "three spheres" concept of adventuring, tradeskills, and dilpomacy seems strikingly interesting. They have a lot of good concepts bubbling up- I definitely have my eye on it.

Yzorth
2007-01-25, 02:01 PM
Right now I am playing on and off, but not as often as I used to. I'm kinda stuck, level-wise, and the only way to get out is grinding. I'm a grinding hater, so WoW is not on my top list of things to do recently.

TheChris
2007-01-25, 02:10 PM
Right now I am playing on and off, but not as often as I used to. I'm kinda stuck, level-wise, and the only way to get out is grinding. I'm a grinding hater, so WoW is not on my top list of things to do recently.

That's rough. I've actually never had that happen to me. I hate grinding and made it to 53 without having to do that. Well aside from the, I'm one bubble away from level. Then I'd grind or one of the nice things about being part of the SA guild is there's always someone on generally willing ot run you through an instance.

Athenodorus
2007-01-25, 02:11 PM
You left a very important option off the list: "Used to play, but quit because I wanted to pass my classes"

Heh, same here.
I was a fairly fanatical druid bear tank until I had to do schoolwork. :( I am so tempted to go back for the expansion, but I must resist.

Logic
2007-01-26, 06:39 AM
I voted the third option, and the "Something better" for me just happened to be the $15 in my bank account. The game was not worth my $50 initial purchase, or my $15 a month.
Too bad it took me more than the first month to figure it out.

Elidyr
2007-01-26, 07:01 AM
The question I'm trying to find is if WoW is still going strong or if people are getting done with it. With Age of Conan, Lord of the Rings Online, Warhammer: Age of Reckoning, and many others coming out in the next year it will be interesting to see how well WoW manages its hold. I'm of the theory that it was just in the right place at the right time with decent gameplay to back it up, though that gameplay is just decent and not that hard to beat. That is of course just my opinion of WoW.

From what I've seen of the mentioned games above they are either WoW clones or games that will appeal only to a small number of players.

WoW as well as all Blizzard games have great gameplay, which other gaming companies seem not to match (they prefer to blame others for their buggy unplayable games instead, or so it seems).

WoW will stay the top dog for quite a while.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-01-26, 07:09 AM
I have too say, Vanguard and WAR look very good. I may transfer over, but I do not forsee it as long as they continue to add more content.

I would love a MMORPG based on Westerns- it would have to have a massive world though without each city being over populated except the ones back east.

neriana
2007-01-26, 12:40 PM
I quit for a while, since I had no time. I started again with Burning Crusade, and since I have a little more time now that the holidays are over.

Vanguard looks kind of cool, but it also looks to follow masochistic gaming design.

The Evil Thing
2007-01-26, 04:16 PM
Played the trial for just over a week but got completely fed up with it and went back to EVE full time. Actually playing the game to level up your character? Heresy!!!

Athenodorus
2007-01-26, 04:23 PM
EVE was the most innovative and interesting online game I have played. Unfortunately I couldn't get into it.