PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Increasing Ninja's damage output

Zeromage1
2014-01-25, 01:30 PM
Hey, guys,
I'm just about to level up to 6, and I'm finding my damage output is pretty low. Not that I want to be a power gamer or anything, but I'm consistently doing a LOT less damage than my counterparts in combat and I'm starting get tired of it. Is there any feat, trick, or multiclass I can do to get more damage? Maybe take a level of fighter (is it too late now though, as we're all level 6?).

Feats:
Extra Ki, Weapon Finese, Dodge, Combat Reflexes

Tricks:
Vanishing Trick, Uncanny Dodge, No Trace, Shadow Clone

Weapons:
+1 Wakizashi
Short Bow

I was thinking maybe class in fighter, or take deadly aim as a combat ninja trick...

I should also note that my strength is 10, but my Dex is 21.

watchwood
2014-01-25, 01:39 PM
Look up the Agile enhancement for weapons. It lets you use your DEX bonus for damage instead of your STR bonus.

You could also consider the Piranha Strike feat. It's basically Power Attack for dex characters.

Kudaku
2014-01-25, 01:39 PM
The first thing I'd do is looking into upgrading your wakizashi with the Agile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/agile) enhancement.

Alternately you could retrain Combat Reflexes into Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/pel-s-lab/dervish-dance) and replace the Wakizashi with a scimitar.

Both of these options focus on making your dexterity work better for you.

The wakizashi is a light weapon, so it qualifies for Piranha Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) - the Power Attack for weapon finesse enthusiasts. It's not quite as good for you since you won't be using THF, but it's still a decent bump in damage.

Dagnabbit, ninjaed on 2/3 points! We really need a ninja smiley :mitd:

watchwood
2014-01-25, 01:41 PM
Was almost 3 points. I thought about the Dervish build, but didn't mention it because retraining things can often be a hassle. :P

Kudaku
2014-01-25, 01:45 PM
Ahh, but the time you would have spent typing up your Dervish Dance argument means I could have beat you to the punch, triple ninjaing you instead :smallbiggrin:

Zeromage1
2014-01-25, 01:45 PM
Thanks, guys,

I found the description:

Agile

Price +1 bonus
Aura moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Weight -

DESCRIPTION

This enhancement can only be placed on a melee weapon which is usable with the Weapon Finesse feat.

Agile weapons are unusually well balanced and responsive. A wielder with the Weapon Finesse feat can choose to apply her Dexterity modifier to damage rolls with the weapon in place of her Strength modifier. This modifier to damage is not increased for two-handed weapons, but is still reduced for off-hand weapons.

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Craft Magic Arms and Armor, cat's grace; Cost +1 bonus

Forgive my ignorance but what does the "Cost +1 bonus" mean?

watchwood
2014-01-25, 01:48 PM
Theoretically. I'm a programmer though, I can type pretty fast. But since I didn't, you never even had a chance. :smallwink:

EDIT: It means you calculate the total cost of the weapon as though it were a +2 weapon.

Spore
2014-01-25, 01:52 PM
I know how you feel but DO NOT repeat the mistake I made. NO amount of Fighter levels will improve Rogues/Ninjas. Two Weapon Fighting will only worsen your luck on hitting and being mobile on the battlefield then destroys your DPR.

Besides the Ki ability Smokebomb you need something to create a diversion to hide. Also your job as Ninja is not insane damage per round but to catch the vitally important NPCs and off them. This may or may not include: (1) Detecting the invisibile mage via See Invisibility Potion (2) climbing or jumping for a sneak attack in melee range (3) bask in the victory while you clean wizard guts off of your wakizashi.

Your job as Ninja is to scout, to counter squishy wizards and to ensure the situation doesn't get worse (by say a surprise ogre that waits behind the curtains of your BBEG). Other than that, Agile Weapons.

Being a +1 Enchantment means that a +1 Agile Weapon calculates as a +2 weapon for the price of the weapon.

Theoretically. I'm a programmer though, I can type pretty fast.

Between Hollywood "hacking" and programming (as in sitting in front of a site of code figuring out the bug for 4 hours with your ching resting in your hand), is there anything? Behold the most ignorant question of them all. :)

Jurai
2014-01-25, 01:52 PM
Cost: +1 Bonus has to do with pricing your magic weapon. That means that if you have a +22 Agile Wakizashi, it costs (23^2)x2000, or 1,058,000 Gold pieces. (And that's an example. Don't actually try that pre-Epic). A more realistic one would be a +2 Agile Wakizashi costing 18,000 Gold pieces.

Zeromage1
2014-01-25, 01:53 PM
Thanks, guys!

watchwood
2014-01-25, 02:00 PM
Between Hollywood "hacking" and programming (as in sitting in front of a site of code figuring out the bug for 4 hours with your ching resting in your hand), is there anything? Behold the most ignorant question of them all. :)

Eh, it's just web programming. There's generally not that much to debug, which means I spend a lot of time pounding out boilerplate crap for assorted clients. I guess that would look sorta hollywood-ish to the unschooled observer, though. :P

Spore
2014-01-25, 02:02 PM
Eh, it's just web programming. There's generally not that much to debug, which means I spend a lot of time pounding out boilerplate crap for assorted clients. I guess that would look sorta hollywood-ish to the unschooled observer, though. :P

That sounds like a career for me. Dishing out simple logical code that looks like MAAAAAGIC for foreigners.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/0b51b9ac044e062857f4d4a26effca1a/tumblr_mkxkvhe54v1rc113po1_250.gif

grarrrg
2014-01-25, 07:26 PM
Dagnabbit, ninjaed on 2/3 points! We really need a ninja smiley :mitd:

We actually have a ninja smiley, but no one has managed to find where it is hiding yet.