PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Divine] The Sacred Vigilant Guardian

Subtlehint
2014-01-25, 04:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I have used this forum as a non member for a while now to get answers, tips etc. I wanted to share a Prestige class I came up with (which my much more knowledgeable DM reviewed and helped with).

A little background on me: I just started playing DnD a little over a year ago. I have been into RPGs since NES, but never knew much about DnD. A friend at work (my DM) mentioned he had all the rulebooks and a bunch of minis, so here we are, a little over a year later.

This is my first Prestige Class, and I want to solicit some feedback, as well as present this class to someone (like me) who is/was looking for something a little different for a Divine caster. Special thanks to "maestrodesigns" and his Strongbeard Warpriest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312582) for some inspiration, and to the Complete Divine Warpriest.

Sacred Vigilant Guardian:

"What good is it to bask in the glow of treasure, drenched in the blood of your enemies and allies alike; or to revel in that glorious victory, when your friends are left behind on the battlefield?" - Daveak Sunflash, Cleric of Helm

The Sacred Vigilant Guardian knows the price of victory all too well, and strives to ensure the safety of her allies.

Requirements:
BAB: +4
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 5 ranks, Heal 5 ranks, Concentration 5 ranks
Feats: Combat Casting
Special: Access to the Protection Domain, ability to cast 3rd level Divine Spells, Ability to turn undead, non-evil

Hit Die: D8
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sacred Vigilant Guardian gains no weapon or armor proficiency

Class Skills: Concentration (con), Craft (int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (wis), Knowledge (arcana) (int), Knowledge (history) (int), Knowledge (religion) (int), Knowledge (the planes) (int) Profession (wis), Spellcraft (int)

(Skill points 2+int)

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells/Day, Spells Known
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+0|Vigilance|+1 Divine
2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+0|Mending Charge|+1 Divine
3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+1|Unyielding Dedication (+1)|+1 Divine
4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Rally|+1 Divine
5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+1|Unyielding Dedication (+2)|+1 Divine
6th|
+4|
+5|
+1|
+1|Bonus Domain (Healing)|+1 Divine
7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+2|Unyielding Dedication (+3)|+1 Divine
8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+2||+1 Divine
9th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+2|Unyielding Dedication (+4)|+1 Divine
10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+3|Implacable Foe|+1 Divine|[/table]

Ally: For the purposes of the Sacred Vigilant Guardian special abilities an ally is defined as a direct member of her adventuring party. They must have known and fought alongside this ally in previous battles, and may not be an animal companion, familiar or summoned creature of an ally.

Vigilance (Ex): As a swift action, a Sacred Vigilant Guardian may make a DC15 Heal check to report on the health of an ally that she can see and is within 30 feet. This is defined as: Healthy (75% HP or more), Slightly Injured (between 75% and 50% HP), Injured (between 50% and 25% HP), Badly Injured (between 25% and 1 HP), Dying (Between 0 HP and -9 HP), and Dead (-10 HP).

Mending Charge (Su): Once per day a Sacred Vigilant Guardian may channel her divine energy and use one of her daily turning attempts to move at double her movement speed and cast a cure spell on a badly injured (25% or less health) ally. She must have been vigilant within the previous 2 rounds in the encounter to activate this ability.

Unyielding Dedication (Su): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian can show her dedication to protecting her allies by chanting. Activating this ability is a standard action and lasts as long as she continues chanting and for 5 rounds plus 1 round per Sacred Vigilant Guardian level thereafter. While chanting the Sacred Vigilant Guardian may take other actions but no actions that require her to speak like casting a spell with verbal components or activating a magic item with a command word. Her allies that can see and hear her, and that are within 2 times her movement are bolstered by her chanting. Affected allies gain the Unyielding dedication morale bonus on all saving throws and to attack rolls. A Sacred Vigilant Guardian may use her Unyielding Dedication a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier (minimum 1).

Rally (Ex): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian gains the ability to rally Allies. A Sacred Vigilant Guardian who is currently not suffering from a fear effect can use this ability as a standard action. Allies within 60 feet who are suffering from any fear effect and who can hear the Sacred Vigilant Guardian are allowed another saving throw against the fear effect, with a +1 morale bonus per Sacred Vigilant Guardian level.

Bonus Domain (Healing) (Su): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian is granted the healing domain as a bonus domain. If the Sacred Vigilant Guardian already has the healing domain she may choose another domain offered by her deity as her bonus domain.

Implacable Foe (Su): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian can channel positive energy to keep allies fighting even after suffering mortal wounds. Activating this ability requires only a move action, but the Sacred Vigilant Guardian must concentrate to maintain it each round after that. While active, the Sacred Vigilant Guardian emanates an aura with a 100 foot radius. Allies within the radius may ignore the effects of being reduced to 0 or less HP. However, any creature reduced to –20 hp dies immediately. When the effect ends, or if a creature moves more than 100 feet from the Sacred Vigilant Guardian, the normal effects of the damage apply immediately.

Jormengand
2014-01-25, 05:59 PM
HVigilance (Ex): As a swift action, a Sacred Vigilant Guardian may make a DC15 Heal check to report on the health of an ally that she can see and is within 30 feet. This is defined as: Healthy (75% HP or more), Slightly Injured (between 75% and 50% HP), Injured (between 50% and 25% HP), Badly Injured (between 25% and 1 HP), Dying (Between 0 HP and -9 HP), and Dead (-10 HP).

This will usually be known anyway, because they're your party and you generally know the hit points of other party members. Also, by default, class features are used as a standard action - do you really want this to take up most of your round?

Mending Charge (Su): Once per day a Sacred Vigilant Guardian may channel her divine energy and use one of her daily turning attempts to move at double her movement speed and cast a cure spell on a badly injured (25% or less health) ally. She must have been vigilant within the previous 2 rounds in the encounter to activate this ability.
Nobody really uses healing in combat unless it's the Heal spell anyway, though.

Unyielding Dedication (Su): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian can show her dedication to protecting her allies by chanting. Activating this ability is a standard action and lasts as long as she continues chanting and for 5 rounds plus 1 round per Sacred Vigilant Guardian level thereafter. While chanting the Sacred Vigilant Guardian may take other actions but no actions that require her to speak like casting a spell with verbal components or activating a magic item with a command word. Her allies that can see and hear her, and that are within 2 times her movement are bolstered by her chanting. Affected allies gain the Unyielding dedication morale bonus on all saving throws and to attack rolls. A Sacred Vigilant Guardian may use her Unyielding Dedication a number of times per day equal to her charisma modifier (minimum 1).

This is based on her... movement speed? That seems arbitrary. You may want to say in the text where the bonus is found; I didn't notice it at first.

Rally (Ex): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian gains the ability to rally Allies. A Sacred Vigilant Guardian who is currently not suffering from a fear effect can use this ability as a standard action. Allies within 60 feet who are suffering from any fear effect and who can hear the Sacred Vigilant Guardian are allowed another saving throw against the fear effect, with a +1 morale bonus per Sacred Vigilant Guardian level.

All right, but not very useful. Situation.

Bonus Domain (Healing) (Su): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian is granted the healing domain as a bonus domain. If the Sacred Vigilant Guardian already has the healing domain she may choose another domain offered by her deity as her bonus domain.

One of the best abilities that this class offers.

Implacable Foe (Su): A Sacred Vigilant Guardian can channel positive energy to keep allies fighting even after suffering mortal wounds. Activating this ability requires only a move action, but the Sacred Vigilant Guardian must concentrate to maintain it each round after that. While active, the Sacred Vigilant Guardian emanates an aura with a 100 foot radius. Allies within the radius may ignore the effects of being reduced to 0 or less HP. However, any creature reduced to –20 hp dies immediately. When the effect ends, or if a creature moves more than 100 feet from the Sacred Vigilant Guardian, the normal effects of the damage apply immediately.

That's a pretty nice ability, actually.

Can I just ask, though... why would you be a Cleric 20? Unless you really, R. E. A. L. L.Y. value that will save, or your one point of BAB this class is just... better. In like, every way.

Amnoriath
2014-01-25, 07:04 PM
I guess the real question is what do you want to do here? It asks of you to have the protection domain but in pretty much every case it deals with healing or stretching hit points.