Level: Mge 2, Pre 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
A ray of magical energy leaps toward the target, leeching from it the energy necessary to cast one or more spells. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit with the ray. If the attack succeeds, the target loses spell slots totaling 1d4 spell levels, plus 1 spell level per three caster levels (maximum +6). The target loses the highest-level spell slots it has available fi rst; two 0-level spell slots count as a single 1st-level spell slot for these purposes. The victim also takes 1d4 points of damage per spell level of the lost spell slots.
For example, Maibar Naildance, a 3rd-level mage, casts this spell on Selisthes, a warlock. Maibar succeeds on his ranged touch attack, causing Selisthes to lose spell slots totaling 1d4+1 spell levels. Selisthes takes 1d4 points of damage for each spell level he loses.

I think I got the first part, if it hits, the target losses 1d4+1/3lv spells of the higher level the target can cast. But I just don't seem to get the second part.
The target takes 1d4 points of damage for spell level of the lost spell lost. Does this mean that for each spell lost the target takes 1d4 damage? Or does this mean that, if you hit four 3rd-level spells and a 2nd-level spell, the target will take 5d4 (3rd plus 2nd)? Or does this mean that (using the same example), because the target lost four 3rd-levels spells and a 2nd-level spell will, she will take 2d4 points of damage (because two different spell levels were hit)?

WoW pls

Yawgmoth
2014-01-25, 05:15 PM
You would lose 1d4+1/3 CL spell levels' worth of slots, then take 1d4 for each level. On your typical caster (who has more spell slots than he could cast in a day), this spell will make them lose a couple highest-level slots and then take (1d4+1/3CL)d4 damage.

So for example: I am a 6th level sorcerer casting this on another 6th level sorcerer. He loses 1d4+2 spell levels. Let's say I roll a 3 (5 total). He loses a 3rd and a 2nd level slot, then takes 5d4 damage.

Nettlekid
2014-01-25, 05:20 PM
I think you actually don't quite understand the first part. It's not 1d4+1/3 level SPELLS lost, it's 1d4+1/3 level spell levels. So a 1st level spell is one spell level, a 3rd level spell is three spell levels, a 9th level spell is 9 spell levels. Yawgmoth's example describes how the procedure works.

By the way, what's 3.W?

Yael
2014-01-25, 05:45 PM
I think you actually don't quite understand the first part. It's not 1d4+1/3 level SPELLS lost, it's 1d4+1/3 level spell levels. So a 1st level spell is one spell level, a 3rd level spell is three spell levels, a 9th level spell is 9 spell levels.

Uh-huh.
Got kind of confused here. :smalleek:
So (as I got this), if you're a 6th level wizard, and you cast it on a 5th level wizard, and you roll 4, you will be having him lost 6 spell level spells? Could this be translated to: 2 3rd-level spells?

By the way, what's 3.W?

Didn't know how to put it (if 3.0 or 3.X), so I wrote 3.W as part of ''3.Warcraft.'':smallfrown:

Starbuck_II
2014-01-25, 06:01 PM
Uh-huh.
So (as I got this), if you're a 6th level wizard, and you cast it on a 5th level wizard, and you roll 4, you will be having him lost 6 spell level spells? Could this be translated to: 2 3rd-level spells?

Didn't know how to put it (if 3.0 or 3.X), so I wrote 3.W as part of ''3.Warcraft.'':smallfrown:

It is sorta 3.25, mostly 3.5. Wait is this Warcraft D20 or World of Warcraft d20?

Yael
2014-01-25, 06:06 PM
It is sorta 3.25, mostly 3.5. Wait is this Warcraft D20 or World of Warcraft d20?

World of Warcraft d20.

Nettlekid
2014-01-25, 08:49 PM
Uh-huh.

Yep, that's how it would work. Since the highest level of spell the Wizard can cast is 3rd, he'd lose as many 3rd level spells as it took to lose 6 spell levels, or two 3rd level spells. If he'd cast all his 3rd level spells, he'd then lose three 2nd level spells. If he had a single 3rd level spell, he'd lose a 3rd, a 2nd, and a 1st, to get to 6.

Yael
2014-01-25, 09:13 PM
Yep, that's how it would work. Since the highest level of spell the Wizard can cast is 3rd, he'd lose as many 3rd level spells as it took to lose 6 spell levels, or two 3rd level spells. If he'd cast all his 3rd level spells, he'd then lose three 2nd level spells. If he had a single 3rd level spell, he'd lose a 3rd, a 2nd, and a 1st, to get to 6.

Still this is not a bit overpowered? I mean, can be meta-magicked to the point of maximize/twin/empower/quicken/etc.

Edit: Forgot to say that 1d4 is still a world of posibilities with metamagic.

Starbuck_II
2014-01-25, 09:24 PM
How does this spell really work?
Mana Burn
Transmutation
Level: Mge 2, Pre 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
A ray of magical energy leaps toward the target, leeching from it the energy necessary to cast one or more spells. You must make a ranged touch attack to hit with the ray. If the attack succeeds, the target loses spell slots totaling 1d4 spell levels, plus 1 spell level per three caster levels (maximum +6). The target loses the highest-level spell slots it has available fi rst; two 0-level spell slots count as a single 1st-level spell slot for these purposes. The victim also takes 1d4 points of damage per spell level of the lost spell slots.
For example, Maibar Naildance, a 3rd-level mage, casts this spell on Selisthes, a warlock. Maibar succeeds on his ranged touch attack, causing Selisthes to lose spell slots totaling 1d4+1 spell levels. Selisthes takes 1d4 points of damage for each spell level he loses.

I think I got the first part, if it hits, the target losses 1d4+1/3lv spells of the higher level the target can cast. But I just don't seem to get the second part.
The target takes 1d4 points of damage for spell level of the lost spell lost. Does this mean that for each spell lost the target takes 1d4 damage? Or does this mean that, if you hit four 3rd-level spells and a 2nd-level spell, the target will take 5d4 (3rd plus 2nd)? Or does this mean that (using the same example), because the target lost four 3rd-levels spells and a 2nd-level spell will, she will take 2d4 points of damage (because two different spell levels were hit)?

WoW pls

Seeing as the 3.5 version is Arcane Turmoil (2nd lv) only removes one highest level spell (with a will save to negate) but also dispel magic regardless of save: it seems balanced.

While Mana Burn can remove multiple spells, it doesn't always remove highest (unlike Arcane Turmoil) or dispel magic, but it does deal damage.

Nettlekid
2014-01-25, 09:33 PM
Seeing as the 3.5 version is Arcane Turmoil (2nd lv) only removes one highest level spell (with a will save to negate) but also dispel magic regardless of save: it seems balanced.

While Mana Burn can remove multiple spells, it doesn't always remove highest (unlike Arcane Turmoil) or dispel magic, but it does deal damage.

Actually it does say it removes highest level slots first.

Although it does have a simple save to completely negate the effect, I would indeed still call this spell overpowered. Maximized, it gets rid of a 9th level spell outright, and topping it off with 10d4 (40) damage is a nice little capper. Empowering gives the possibility of up to 12 spell levels lost, which at a mid-level caster (getting rid of 2 6th level spells, maybe) is pretty substantial. For a 2nd level spell?

Compare it to Khelben's Dweomerdoom, a 9th level spell that removes the target's highest spell slot. It offers no save but does require a dispel check. Is the addition of the save and removal of the dispel check, but tacking on a bit of damage, a reasonable penalty to drop it SEVEN levels? Nah.

Yawgmoth
2014-01-26, 12:30 AM
Actually it does say it removes highest level slots first.

Although it does have a simple save to completely negate the effect, I would indeed still call this spell overpowered. Maximized, it gets rid of a 9th level spell outright, and topping it off with 10d4 (40) damage is a nice little capper. Empowering gives the possibility of up to 12 spell levels lost, which at a mid-level caster (getting rid of 2 6th level spells, maybe) is pretty substantial. For a 2nd level spell? Yeah given that you could max-empower-split ray this for a 6th level slot for minimal investment to get ~24 spell levels and ~84 damage at 12th level. That would basically destroy your typical caster's highest level slots immediately and get a good jump on their next level down. And that's ignoring sudden M feats, metamagic rods, and other really simple ways to cut down on metamagic costs.

WoWd20 is full of really abysmally written material. It was pretty much pounded out in a drunken weekend to squeeze money out of people with more money than sense.