View Full Version : 5th level halfling Gestalt Pathfinder ideas

DreamQuestin
2014-01-25, 06:21 PM
Greetings and good morrow folks,

I have been invited to play in a new table top game in a couple hours (lots of time to build a character right? - not!). We are 5th level only Pathfinder official content, Stats are 18, 17, 17, 16, 15 and 12 to be put where we like.

I was thinking I would like to play a halfling and I like the idea of an Order of the Paw Cavalier... by chance can anyone more familiar with gestalt than I help me choose an optimum combo?

Thank you so much for your time. I am going to have to build her backstory and such going forward :( I need a basic start to play with tonight. Anyone with a character to lend would be appreciated alternatively :)

With a smile,
Deb

DreamQuestin
2014-01-26, 02:39 PM
Had a surprisingly good session even though I had only had a chance to get the barest of character idea started!

I named her Mercia Lhiadan Ros and played her pretty much as a Cavalier. In getting a feel for the group and chatting with the DM, I am thinking it could be a good combo to also be a Summoner.

I haven't found any Pathfinder Gestalt character generators, so I will be creating a Cavalier and then creating a Summoner and use those sheets to create my gestalt.

I would very much welcome ideas on giving Mercia some flash :) and/or if someone has an alternative idea with some panache. Truthfully, while I don't want her to be some kind of wallflower or just comic relief by any means, I would much rather have a fun character with some talent to help the group than some uber gish :)

With a smile,
DreamQuestin

fireinthedust
2014-01-26, 02:55 PM
I won't be much help, but best of luck? Sorry no one got back to you in time; it can be hit or miss with any thread, let alone a time limit.

In general I'd say maybe pick a main class that you like, then pick a backup class that helps you not be so weak. For example (not the best) if you're a Wizard you could grab Fighter for the hit points and combat feats (if there's any that would benefit Wizards, like, I dunno, dodge-related feats). Then you just let loose with your spells as usual.

If you're going melee combat, you'd likely want either healing (cleric = armor + heals) or skills (rogue) or feats (fighter) or double up on what you do so you do it better (fighter + barbarian).

A Rogue archer with fighter feats would be able to out-perform a ranger. Sneak attack + all the archery feats? Nice. If you're a halfling, I'm not 100% but do you lose damage due to size?

A halfling spellcaster is pretty sweet, as you don't have to worry about size affecting damage output.

I wonder if Summoner/Wizard or Summoner/Sorcerer are good builds...

DreamQuestin
2014-01-27, 12:30 AM
I won't be much help, but best of luck? Sorry no one got back to you in time; it can be hit or miss with any thread, let alone a time limit.
I knew that was a risk, but there are so many wise folks here I thought to try ;). Thank you very kindly for your reply!

In general I'd say maybe pick a main class that you like, then pick a backup class that helps you not be so weak. For example (not the best) if you're a Wizard you could grab Fighter for the hit points and combat feats (if there's any that would benefit Wizards, like, I dunno, dodge-related feats). Then you just let loose with your spells as usual.

If you're going melee combat, you'd likely want either healing (cleric = armor + heals) or skills (rogue) or feats (fighter) or double up on what you do so you do it better (fighter + barbarian).

A Rogue archer with fighter feats would be able to out-perform a ranger. Sneak attack + all the archery feats? Nice. If you're a halfling, I'm not 100% but do you lose damage due to size?

A halfling spellcaster is pretty sweet, as you don't have to worry about size affecting damage output.

I wonder if Summoner/Wizard or Summoner/Sorcerer are good builds...
There are some drawbacks to being a Halfling to be sure :) but I think she will be great fun.

I have seen some very scary powerful combos online - truly impressive builds gestalt and not. The thinking behind the Summoner as the second class is to have the Eidolon as added muscle. I don't know much about them (Eidolon) so have some reading to do.

What started me thinking about it was the Summoner guide here on GitP which says:

Using your Eidolon as a mount has advantages: you never have to worry about getting out of range of Life Link, you'll always be in range of its Shield Ally, and you can protect your Eidolon with Mounted Combat. Make your Strength score higher than most Summoners and take Martial Weapon Proficiency (Lance) for x2 damage on a charge. The combination of a pouncing charge from your Eidolon and a lance hit from you is utterly lethal and will often end fights in a single round, but the big weakness of this tactic is that it exposes you to attack. Pick up Improved Share Spells once you get to higher levels to make better use of your buffs.

Sounds like fun. I had been thinking about being part of the Order of the Paw, which I couldn't do if my mount is an Eidolon.

Thanks again for your reply :). I will continue to post what I find and how Mercia is built. Always welcoming feedback :amused:

With a smile,
Deb