PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Low Level Shadow/Dark creatures?

Mcdt2
2014-01-25, 06:27 PM
I'm running a level 1 campaign which revolves around a magical plague or darkness going around and turning people, animals, and other living beings into deformed beings, bent on causing death and destruction. However, I've had some issues coming up with enemies to throw at them. Does anyone have anything, either as a template or a base creature or even some feats that would be appropriate to throw at a party of 3 level 1 gestalts? They can do decent damage, and are moderately tanky (all of them have 10 hp exactly, not bad for level 1).
I know of the Dark creature template, and I've also used slightly modified Zombies and such, and intend to incorporate the Taint rules as well as the Shadar-kai, but I need some variety to keep them on their toes before I introduce the shadar-kai (who are behind this plague). I'm fine with both homebrew and Pathfinder material in addition to 3.X stuff. Many thanks.

Chester
2014-01-25, 06:30 PM
Could you apply the fiendish creature template to commoners / low level humans?

Ramza00
2014-01-25, 06:44 PM
Not level 1, but soon you can add the shadow creature template for +1 cr. Shadow creature gives you shadow blend->shadow blend gives you total concealment->total concealment is what makes improved invisibility so good.

jguy
2014-01-25, 08:36 PM
You could just use normal monsters/NPC's and fluff everything differently. Fighter 1 with a greatsword and chainmail can have identical stats and gear but suddenly his weapon is a living shadow that sucks in light and instead of physical damage it is Cold/Negative energy and the rest of his gear is simple shadow stuff. His looks of being evil/deformed are up to you and when he dies his gear fades away though be sure to have loose coin/gems to make up for the WBL.

Blackhawk748
2014-01-25, 08:40 PM
You could just use normal monsters/NPC's and fluff everything differently. Fighter 1 with a greatsword and chainmail can have identical stats and gear but suddenly his weapon is a living shadow that sucks in light and instead of physical damage it is Cold/Negative energy and the rest of his gear is simple shadow stuff. His looks of being evil/deformed are up to you and when he dies his gear fades away though be sure to have loose coin/gems to make up for the WBL.

I second this, ive done it before, maybe give them a lvl appropriate Shadow Hand technique.

jguy
2014-01-25, 08:51 PM
Shadow Blade technique seems to be perfect fit as a One-of or maybe two/day maneuver. Very flavorful and not out of the question for enemies to have.

Blackhawk748
2014-01-25, 08:54 PM
When is the Standard action Shadow Stride available? IIRC its pretty low and would be very flavorful

jguy
2014-01-25, 10:02 PM
It's either a 2nd level or 3rd level maneuver. I am leaning towards 3rd.

Techwarrior
2014-01-26, 02:19 AM
Second. Its one of many reasons to dip Swordsage at fifth level.