PDA

View Full Version : LARPing in greater Dallas area, Texas, USA?

inexorabletruth
2014-01-25, 06:55 PM
Please move this post if I'm in the wrong forum. I wasn't sure if it belonged here or in the RP forum.

But… I think my wife and I would like to give LARPing a try. We're always looking for fun, affordable ways to have fun. I've gone over the checklist.

I love combat and wilderness survival.
My wife loves cosplaying and hi-adventure fantasy.
My son has a boffer sword, a knitted helmet and a cape and will accept any excuse to run around with them.

So I think LARPing and us would be a good mix. :smallsmile:

Does anyone know of a safe, family friendly LARP event/group in or around the Dallas, TX area that's noob friendly?

By family friendly, I mean that they have to be able to accommodate groups with children and willing to confine their activities to legal activities.

lordbrocktree
2014-01-26, 05:18 PM
Theres a plano amtgard park thats newbie friendly. We meet at 1pm on Saturdays and a 6pm on Wednesday's

http://amtgard-bf.com/#2853

inexorabletruth
2014-01-26, 05:26 PM
Woot! That sounds perfect! Our saturdays are free, but I doubt we could do Wednesdays.

I'm checking out the website now. Thanks! :smallbiggrin:

------------------

Aw man… our son is too young. :smallfrown: I figured that might be an issue. He is pretty young, but knows to stay close. I was hoping there was a place where we could burn out some of his energy and get some outside time of our own. Ah well… the search continues.

Jay R
2014-01-27, 11:19 AM
You might try the SCA The local group is called the Barony of the Steppes (http://steppes.ansteorra.org/). Our biggest fighter practice is Sunday afternoons at Oak Creek Park in Carrollton, and we usually have several kids in attendance.

I won't be at that practice for the next three weekends, due to other SCA events, but when I am there, you can find me easily. Ask for Robin. Or go up to anybody and tell them you're new. We have a large influx of new people right now.

The SCA is historically based, not fantasy, but my current D&D game is entirely SCA members. There are lots of activities. In two weeks, I'm going to the kingdom Arts and Sciences (http://rosenfeld.ansteorra.org/Kingdom%20AS%202014.pdf) event all day Saturday, 1 1/2 hours away in Athens, TX.

Edit: Also, that's where the youth combat training and practice are held.

tyckspoon
2014-01-27, 01:44 PM
Aw man… our son is too young. :smallfrown: I figured that might be an issue. He is pretty young, but knows to stay close. I was hoping there was a place where we could burn out some of his energy and get some outside time of our own. Ah well… the search continues.

He might be too young to officially play in organized games, but as long as he's old enough to understand and abide by the rules of fighting (especially the 'don't hit people in the head' one) you can probably find people willing to gently spar with him and help work out some energy. Worth going out and meeting the park, at least.

lordbrocktree
2014-01-27, 02:08 PM
We have some people who have kids that bring them out. They usually play nearby with each other. It wouldnt hurt to bring him out.

inexorabletruth
2014-01-27, 03:46 PM
Then I think we'll give it a try. I've been teaching our son basic combat and swordplay as well as matters of fair play. He knows better than to intentionally attack the head or genital region. His skills are still rudimentary, so the occasional errant strike still occurs, but when he does hit somewhere he shouldn't, I just say "Ouch" and he apologizes and asks if I'm okay. It's been a good system so far. He's three, which is a bit young for most contact sports, but I try to embrace what he is... and well, he's a full contact kid.