PDA

View Full Version : Augmentation and Psionic Beasts

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-25, 12:10 PM
Alright, going to use the Caller in Darkness for an example:

Psi-Like Abilities: At will - clairvoyant sense, concussion blast (two targets, 3d6*), detect psionics, ego whip (2d4, DC 16*), mind thrust (7d10, DC 16*); 3/day - death urge (DC 16), psychic crush (DC 13**), psionic suggestion (three targets, DC 14*); 1/ day - co-opt concentration (DC 18). Manifester level 7th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

*Includes augmentation for the caller’s manifester level.

**Includes the inherent +4 save adjustment described in the power.Ok, so we have the thing manifesting as a 7th level manifester.

With Concussion Blast we should, by augmenting, have it doing 3d6 points of damage. Period. It should not be able to affect an additional target as the creature is in essence using up all its alotted power point equivalents.

Is this just a mess-up or am I missing something?

NEO|Phyte
2007-01-25, 12:12 PM
Well, then I noticed the 'inherent +4 save adjustment'. Where does this 'inherent save adjustment' come from and what exactly does it do?

Your will abruptly and brutally crushes the mental essence of any one creature, debilitating its acumen. The target must make a Will save with a +4 bonus or collapse unconscious and dying at -1 hit points. If the target succeeds on the save, it takes 3d6 points of damage.

10 character limit.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-25, 12:13 PM
Perhaps they were mistaken in thinking that you can aug the power to increase the save dc.

EDIT: Nevermind. Ninja-corrected.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-25, 12:31 PM
D'oh, didn't notice it was a ** instead of an *. Thought I saw every power got the +4 bonus.

Ok, throwing that aside, the Concussion Blast as shown should not be bale to affect two people and deal 3d6 damage at once.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-25, 12:56 PM
Ok, throwing that aside, the Concussion Blast as shown should not be bale to affect two people and deal 3d6 damage at once.
That is correct. Of course, the rules on psi-like ability augmentation does not specify how to choose from different augmentation options. As near as I can tell, a creature can choose which options to exercise at each manifestation of the ability. That gives us the following options: 3d6 damage to one target 2d6 damage each to two targets 1d6 damage each to three targetsAnd I believe the caller should be able to choose from any of those options each time it manifests the ability.

Now, as to the actual entry: I'd have to chalk it up to a typo. The "3" and "2" are next to each other on the keyboard, after all. :smallbiggrin: