PDA

View Full Version : Skill checks attack rolls and crits

Lanth Sor
2014-01-25, 08:53 PM
So I used the martial maneuver below and rolled crit, my dm said it can't crit since I made a skill check for the attack roll. Can anyone point me to the rule for this or is there one. If i cant crit it kinda sounds like bs.

Veiled Stab
Black Lotus (Strike)
Level: Black Lotus 1
Initiation Action: 1 standard action
Range: Melee Attack
Target: One creature

As part of this maneuver, you make a single melee attack. Instead of a normal attack roll you must make a Sleight of Hand check opposed by your opponent's AC. If your Sleight of Hand check succeeds, this strike is considered a successful sneak attack, dealing an additional 1d6 sneak attack damage per four initiator levels (rounded up). If the Sleight of Hand check fails, you instead make a single melee attack at you highest attack modifier.

inexorabletruth
2014-01-25, 09:05 PM
I believe that we're talking about D&D 3.5, right? If so, you may want to move this post to the 3.5 forum.

Regardless, I believe your DM is correct. You can't crit on a skill check, because you can't get an automatic hit on a nat 20. And you have to score an automatic hit based on your crit range in order to confirm a crit.

PHB, pg. 63

Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the d20 is not an automatic success, and a natural roll of 1 is not an automatic failure.

Esprit15
2014-01-25, 11:32 PM
A crit and an auto success are not mutually exclusive. A critical success is an automatic hit, yes, but a critical hit is based on the weapon's critical range.

The Grue
2014-01-25, 11:35 PM
However, the manouver in question calls for a skill check, not an attack roll. The relevant part is here, emphasis mine:

Instead of a normal attack roll you must make a Sleight of Hand check

That a weapon is being used is a moot point; otherwise a rogue can "crit" if she uses a dagger as an improvised tool to disarm a trap.

Your DM is correct; you can't crit on a skill check.