PDA

View Full Version : unarmed attack bonuses

kpumphre
2014-01-25, 09:03 PM
Is their anyway to enhance my unarmed attack for a normal human non monk?

Tommy2255
2014-01-25, 09:13 PM
You could polymorph into something other than a human. Or you could die. Just have someone in your party take that feat in the corpsecrafter line that gives undead you create the ability to deal cold damage with a touch, and have him bring you back as a necropolitan. Or you could be a Kensai, from Complete Warrior, and if you have Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike), you can designate your hands as your signature weapon, which lets you sort of enchant them.

kpumphre
2014-01-25, 09:15 PM
Are their any gloves I can buy I thought I saw them once that will let me put the weapon enhancement on to use with fist.

Rubik
2014-01-25, 09:16 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15474863#post15474863

You don't need monk for anything but the flurry and the ability to enhance your unarmed strike directly (through hardness, Ancestral Relic, Item Familiar, etc), but the rest will work.

bekeleven
2014-01-25, 09:16 PM
Wear a Monk's Belt, take Superior Unarmed Strike, cast Greater Magic Weapon and Greater Mighty Wallop on yourself.

Urpriest
2014-01-25, 09:17 PM
Are their any gloves I can buy I thought I saw them once that will let me put the weapon enhancement on to use with fist.

No, that's a Pathfinder thing. 3.5 is designed so that isn't an option. Instead, get a Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a).

Rubik
2014-01-25, 09:19 PM
No, that's a Pathfinder thing. 3.5 is designed so that isn't an option. Instead, get a Necklace of Natural Attacks (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060707a).Actually, gauntlets are marked as "unarmed strikes," so you can wear gauntlets as a monk (despite not being proficient, even in their own unarmed strikes) and use the enhancements on your own punches.

sideswipe
2014-01-25, 09:26 PM
FEATS
improved unarmed strike.
- stunning fist
Weapon focus tree
(i believe) weapon finesse
Fists of iron (+1d6)
Flying kick (+1d12 on a charge
Power attack
Roundabout kick (more damage on crits)
Fiery fist (+1d6 fire damage)
versatile unarmed strike (allows you to deal piercing and slashing damage as well)

be a larger size (i believe your unarmed damage also increases)

also i believe most feats that apply to a weapon can be applied to unarmed

Urpriest
2014-01-25, 10:21 PM
Actually, gauntlets are marked as "unarmed strikes," so you can wear gauntlets as a monk (despite not being proficient, even in their own unarmed strikes) and use the enhancements on your own punches.

The situation is a little murky (for one if the unarmed character is actually a monk, gauntlets may not be flurry-compatible since they aren't on the approved weapon list, unless they're grandfathered in by the "as unarmed attack" clause), but yes, this is potentially an option.

Milo v3
2014-01-26, 12:22 AM
Doesn't the following line imply you can enchant the unarmed strike of a monk, as it counts as a manufactured weapon:

A monk's unarmed strike is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons.

Or does enchanting not count as an effect?

Rebel7284
2014-01-26, 02:41 AM
Your fists need to be masterwork to enchant them directly

Rubik
2014-01-26, 02:43 AM
Your fists need to be masterwork to enchant them directlyThis is why I spent 300 gp on character creation in Tippy's contest.

Azoth
2014-01-26, 02:57 AM
If you are lawful, Law Devotion gives a scaling bonus to to hit/ac (your choice each round). It starts at +3 and goes to +7 I believe.

Rage, frenzy, or any of its ilk give bonuses to Str which increases to hit.

Enchanting your fists as discipline weapons give +3 to hit for a +1 bonus when in a stance or initiating a maneuver from the discipline they are attuned to.

There are a pair of bracers/gauntlets (can't remember) that give +1 to hit/damage for 4k. Not great, but if you find a diety with the war domain whose favored weapon is the unarmed strike the bonus changes to +4 hit/damage.

Play an Azurin and take shape soul meld. There are several Incante soul melds that increase your to hit based on essentia invested.

Milo v3
2014-01-26, 02:59 AM

*Goes off to make a race with Masterwork Unarmed Attack*

Curmudgeon
2014-01-26, 03:56 AM
Actually, that's only minimally correct. Unarmed strikes are made with any/all surfaces of your body, so your whole body would need to be made masterwork at creation. Characters come into existence before they have any class levels, at which time (with no Monk levels) your body can't count as a manufactured weapon.

bekeleven
2014-01-26, 03:57 AM
This is why I spent 300 gp on character creation in Tippy's contest.

Normally I would call you on having 300GP at level 1. But I researched this carefully when I was investigating item familiar, and there is no rule for WBL being maintained during historical character progression when making characters above first level.

..."Masterwork me" is still a rather liberal interpretation, as Curmudgeon points out.

Rebel7284
2014-01-26, 05:26 AM
Actually, that's only minimally correct. Unarmed strikes are made with any/all surfaces of your body, so your whole body would need to be made masterwork at creation. Characters come into existence before they have any class levels, at which time (with no Monk levels) your body can't count as a manufactured weapon.

Any vs. All makes for a lot of difference here. I assume that as long as your particular fighting style only involves punching (boxer monk?) Enchanting fists would be sufficient. Regardless, this is of course super silly.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-01-26, 05:43 AM
Bracers of Striking (MoF) grant the benefit of Improved Unarmed Strike and can be enchanted with weapon abilities to enhance your unarmed attacks.
Ring of Might (MoF) lets you treat unarmed attacks as armed and increases damage to 1d8.
Fanged Ring (DrM) grants Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Natural Attack(unarmed strike) and lets you deal 1 CON damage on a crit.
The Pugilist Fighter variant (Dr310) gets Improved Unarmed Strike as a bonus feat and increases damage to 1d4.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 11:50 AM
Bracers of Striking (MoF) grant the benefit of Improved Unarmed Strike and can be enchanted with weapon abilities to enhance your unarmed attacks.

Note that you have to pay double for this one, for some reason.

Really, Necklace of Natural Attacks is the standard way the rules provide to do this sort of thing. There's no reason to do a bunch of complicated stuff instead, unless you really want something else in the amulet slot.

DMJeff
2014-01-26, 12:32 PM
Spiked gauntlet's. Still a weapon considered armed instead of unarmed. And it's a weapon so enchant the heck out of it. Save your feats.

Better yet make a Thri-Kreen! x5 attacks. also saves some feats costs a few level's ECL but worth it.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 12:34 PM
Spiked gauntlet's. Still a weapon considered armed instead of unarmed. And it's a weapon so enchant the heck out of it. Save your feats.

Also, a weapon. So gets none of the benefits of your unarmed strike.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 04:11 PM
Spiked gauntlet's.Spiked gauntlet is what?

Also, a weapon. So gets none of the benefits of your unarmed strike.Except it's listed AS an unarmed strike in the book, so it really should.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 04:14 PM
Except it's listed AS an unarmed strike in the book, so it really should.

Where? I see it under light melee, and the description makes no mention of unarmed strikes.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 04:16 PM
Where? I see it under light melee, and the description makes no mention of unarmed strikes.http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponDescriptions

It's the regular gauntlet, not the spiked one. I was thinking they both fit under the same definition, but apparently not.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 04:20 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponDescriptions

It's the regular gauntlet, not the spiked one. I was thinking they both fit under the same definition, but apparently not.

Yes, I agree that the regular gauntlet modifies your unarmed strike (with some fishiness about how, and whether this lets you use it to enhance your unarmed strike). Spiked Gauntlet does neither though.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 04:24 PM
Yes, I agree that the regular gauntlet modifies your unarmed strike (with some fishiness about how, and whether this lets you use it to enhance your unarmed strike). Spiked Gauntlet does neither though.Agreed. Not that it makes much sense to disallow a spiked gauntlet just for having pointy knuckles, but that's what it is.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 04:58 PM
Agreed. Not that it makes much sense to disallow a spiked gauntlet just for having pointy knuckles, but that's what it is.

The reason to disallow a spiked gauntlet is because there's no way of knowing what damage it would deal if it scaled with unarmed strike damage. Is it a size increase? A one-time effect? If the latter, what would be the point?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-26, 05:33 PM
Also note that regular gauntlets have specified damage figures on the Weapons table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons).
Gauntlet

This metal glove lets you deal lethal damage rather than nonlethal damage with unarmed strikes. A strike with a gauntlet is otherwise considered an unarmed attack. Because the damage is already given, that's not an "otherwise" item.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 05:38 PM
Also note that regular gauntlets have specified damage figures on the Weapons table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons). Because the damage is already given, that's not an "otherwise" item.Um... It gives the sole exception to the rule right there: it deals lethal damage, which unarmed strikes generally do not.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-26, 05:47 PM
Um... It gives the sole exception to the rule right there: it deals lethal damage, which unarmed strikes generally do not.
That's not the sole exception. For instance, I cut out this part:
The cost and weight given are for a single gauntlet. Unarmed strikes don't normally have either a cost or weight. You get all the specified qualities, including damage; otherwise you're considered as making an unarmed attack.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 05:54 PM
That's not the sole exception. For instance, I cut out this part: Unarmed strikes don't normally have either a cost or weight. You get all the specified qualities, including damage; otherwise you're considered as making an unarmed attack.Since it is an unarmed strike, the monk damage should override it. Why would wearing a studded leather glove make you deal less damage with your fists?

But even if the monk damage didn't override, once you can start adding in magical enhancements, you're better off with a 1d2 damage attack with an extra 6d6+6 (or whatever) damage added onto it, even if the base damage would otherwise be, say, 1d12.

Curmudgeon
2014-01-26, 09:16 PM
Since it is an unarmed strike, the monk damage should override it. Why is that? What part of the RAW states this override? I already cited the rule which says the override is only for those quantities otherwise than already specified.
Why would wearing a studded leather glove make you deal less damage with your fists? When you've prevented the Monk from using all the striking surfaces of their entire body, and only let them use their fists instead, that's logically going to entail a significant reduction in damage. And, from a rules perspective, for the same reason Monks have nonproficiency penalties when attacking with gauntlets, or lose their AC Bonus because they're part of a suit of armor.
Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 09:20 PM
or lose their AC Bonus because they're part of a suit of armor.

Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with gauntlets.

That doesn't follow. Imagine if McDonalds sold armor, and the sentence read like this:

Medium and heavy armors (except breastplate) come with fries.

Would that entail that fries prevent a Monk from gaining their AC bonus?

Curmudgeon
2014-01-26, 10:10 PM
That doesn't follow. Imagine if McDonalds sold armor, and the sentence read like this:

Would that entail that fries prevent a Monk from gaining their AC bonus?
It would if there were a restriction such that medium and heavy fried foods cause the Monk to lose their AC Bonus. :smallwink:

The problem is that there's no statement regarding using only part of a suit of armor (unless you specify that that's the same result as if you "Don Hastily"). Excepting that, you either wear the suit of armor in its entirety, or you fail to wear the suit of armor. To whit: if you refuse the fries you're refusing everything; if you accept the fries you're accepting the consequences of wearing (part of) a suit of armor.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 10:27 PM
It would if there were a restriction such that medium and heavy fried foods cause the Monk to lose their AC Bonus. :smallwink:

The problem is that there's no statement regarding using only part of a suit of armor (unless you specify that that's the same result as if you "Don Hastily"). Excepting that, you either wear the suit of armor in its entirety, or you fail to wear the suit of armor. To whit: if you refuse the fries you're refusing everything; if you accept the fries you're accepting the consequences of wearing (part of) a suit of armor.Except gauntlets are listed as weapons. The fact that they're included with some armors just means that those armors come prepackaged with weapons, not that monks will lose their class features if those weapons are used.