PDA

View Full Version : Range of Glyph Seal?

danzibr
2014-01-25, 10:07 PM
Glyph of Warding is an awesome spell which we all love. You essentially make a magical trap which covers an object or 5 square feet per level, and the trap either blows up or sets another spell off. Then again, it has 200g casting cost.

Then there's the handy Glyph Seal (MIC, 161), which you spend 1k on, and from then on functions like Glyph of Warding, but only for the stored spells, and only level 1 or 2. But my question is... what's the range, so to speak? Can you only put it on an object? Can you put in on the ground, but then it only covers a 5 square foot section? Or a square on the battle grid (which is 25 square feet, I suppose... seems unreasonable)? Or does it depend on the user's level? Or the creator's?

TypoNinja
2014-01-25, 10:24 PM
Glyph of Warding is an awesome spell which we all love. You essentially make a magical trap which covers an object or 5 square feet per level, and the trap either blows up or sets another spell off. Then again, it has 200g casting cost.

Then there's the handy Glyph Seal (MIC, 161), which you spend 1k on, and from then on functions like Glyph of Warding, but only for the stored spells, and only level 1 or 2. But my question is... what's the range, so to speak? Can you only put it on an object? Can you put in on the ground, but then it only covers a 5 square foot section? Or a square on the battle grid (which is 25 square feet, I suppose... seems unreasonable)? Or does it depend on the user's level? Or the creator's?

It stores the spell, but still triggers as if a Glyph of Warding. So its proximity for triggering is relatively close, but you could conceivably put a spell in it with a larger area of effect. Don't forget the Greater version for higher level spells. As for what you can attach it to, any nonmagical nonliving object is a legal choice, so the ground would count. The side of a ship, your armour. A corridor section, behind a tapestry, the inside cover of a book to zap somebody who reads your spellbook without permission. The list goes on. Get creative.

The true power of the the item however is to charge it with all the "personal" range buff spells, then use those on yourself when you aren't a class that can cast them. Think Wraith Strike, Sniper Shot, Critical Strike. All the tasty Wizard only buffs to combat that are supposed to be balanced by the fact that its not a melee class using them to start with.

Or just really nice buffs when you aren't a caster, Psionic Lion's Charge thanks to magic/psionic transparency rules is an acceptable choice, drag around your own Enlarge Person instead of waiting on the party buffer. Emergency heals, GTFO options (I'm a big fan of an item that will Dismiss me when I trigger it. Great way to escape when you are not on the Material Plane), every time you've wished you had a spell handy for something when you weren't a caster. Charge one of those with it, then you are set.

Great option for Sorcerers too. Keep some utility spells in Glyphs that you don't think are worth using a spell known on, you can get them charged in town for pocket change by a wizard before you set out.

Story
2014-01-26, 01:19 AM
Note that allowing personal spells in a Glyph Seal is pretty broken and it's not at all clear by RAW, so you'll need to consult your DM. There is a strong case for allowing spells like Cure X Wounds, Resist Energy, and so on though and it's already really useful for those.

Also, the level restriction on the Greater Glyph Seal is clearly a mistake, but it's easy to see what was intended.

TypoNinja
2014-01-26, 04:07 AM
Note that allowing personal spells in a Glyph Seal is pretty broken and it's not at all clear by RAW, so you'll need to consult your DM.

Having seen them in action (I'm a mystic thurge and I pass them out like little buff tokens in one game.) Yes, that use of them is nothing short of amazing, and seriously open to abuse. Second the consult your DM, depending on the average power level of your game it could be seriously disruptive.

Even without that use, they can basically replace scrolls for a fraction of the price, on any spell you don't spam, allow your mundane allies to have their own magical solutions on hand, and act as backups if the caster goes down.

Put a Close Wounds in one, attached to yourself, to trigger on the condition of when you are mortally wounded. Save your own life!