PDA

View Full Version : using taint in a new way in a game

iceman10058
2014-01-26, 03:40 AM
okay, im going to be running a new campaign soon and its going to revolve around most the magic in the world being poisoned by the coming of a dark goddess, this worlds Lolth. after talking to a couple people about it, we decided that using the taint rules whenever you cast a spell as a wizard, sorcerer, or other arcane user you have to make your saves to try to prevent being tainted.

another decision was to allow magic users that got their powers through an other planar source like a warlock, binder, or cleric not to have to worry about it, since they get their powers through the being they have contracted with.

druids i have banned because they are all dead or insane

my question to the playground is this, is there anything else i should do or considder, am i missing something here? im not sure what to do about people that use TOB or incarnum, but my players dont seem to like those books much, the fools, so i dont think i have to worry much about them

AuraTwilight
2014-01-26, 06:59 AM
If it does come up, Maneuvers and Soulmelds shouldn't be lumped in with magic; one is basically just wuxia and the other is using the power of your own soul to do stuff. If all soulstuff is already tainted, pack it in, the campaign world is boned.

Rastapopolos
2014-01-27, 12:26 PM
que the necropolitan wizards in droves.

Necroticplague
2014-01-27, 12:40 PM
que the necropolitan wizards in droves.

Or the tainted scholars.

Falcon X
2014-01-27, 05:05 PM
Great concept. I'm running something very similar. I tossed out all the normal races as they were either dead or enslaved, and went with new ones.
A few ideas:

On Taint:
First off, it would really be cool to know how taint came to be. Has your world always had risk of taint to spellcasting, or was the world somehow tilted in alignment since the evil takeover?
This makes wizards and archivists awesome to play role-playing wise. However, the players can't go into it expecting to be spell-slingers. Every spell known and cast is very valuable and decisive. I'm feeling some Shadowrun type feel going on.

Ritual: You might want to look into ritual casting PRCs (Forgotten Realms should have them. Unapproachable East?) I could see them popping up.

Prevention: People will also have probably tried to find ways around corruption. Make sure you have an idea of what people have done to counter it. Protection spells? Using Staffs and Wands more? Casting with an ally who prevents it?

Surprises: People will be surprised by taint in this world. Here's some food for thought:
I once had an NPC villain who wanted to become Blood Magus. So he found a master to train him. However, when he got his first level, he realized he had taken a level in Tainted Scholar instead (Both use Blood Components), and took corruption. The corruption was addictive and grew on him and he spiralled deeper into it until his personality was unrecognizable.
My guys ended up saving him by temporarily effecting his memory, forgetting the corruption long enough to know he had to fix himself, which he did.

New Concepts:
Ghost Elves as PCs or NPCs (Dragon Magazine 313). They vaguely have a WOW Blood elves type feel of a race that was nearly driven to extinction, hid in the Astral Plane for many years, and came back as tainted beings.

Blighters: It sounds appropriate that all the Druids are gone. But the insane ones might have become Blighters (Complete Divine), which are basically the druidic version of Ur-Priests.

Adu-jas (Dragon Magazine 317): On the note of Druids being gone. In my current game, right before the Elves (Now ghost elves) went into hiding, they cast a spell to awaken the Adu-jas. A plant people who are basically Druids incarnate. Having a few of these in existence might make for an interesting sub-plot or world flavor.

Worship: As the world dies, the few that stay in hiding will either become atheists, or much more faithful. Define this well in the world.
In mine, almost everyone now worships either Lolth, Garl Glittergold, or Gaia (Mother Earth).

On TOB and Incarnum:
Directly, as they come up, as AuraTwighlight said, TOB characters wouldn't be effected any more than Fighters or Rogues. The disciplines have the flavor of "I learned from my Diamond Mind master how to twist my sword in this certain way to disable the enemy." or "I learned a defensive technique to clear my mind when it's being influenced magically".
I don't know Incarnum stuff, but if it messes with Soul stuff, it sounds like it would be pretty vulnerable to taint.

BTW, I'd someone trying TOB sometime. Especially if you have someone trying to be a Paladin or Monk. Very few people will complain about the upgrade to Crusader or Swordsage which have similar flavor.