PDA

View Full Version : Notable errata/FAQ that are usually missed?

Vintrastorm
2014-01-26, 06:06 AM
Hi there. Since I have a lot less time nowadays to invest in roleplaying games I don't really have the time to read through all the erratas and FAQs for the 3.5 books. So I was wondering if I could ask you forumites a question:

What are the most "important" erratas/FAQs that people usually miss?

EDIT: I'm thinking Core, Forgotten Realms, the compendiums and the "Complete" series. I have no familiarity with Psionics or the Tome of Battle/Magic.

Silverbit
2014-01-26, 06:25 AM
I'm not sure if it counts as errata, but in Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 54, Manifester Level, it mentions that you can only spend up to your manifested level in power points on a power.

Vintrastorm
2014-01-26, 07:12 AM
Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately I'm not using psionics. :)
I edited the OP to reflect it. :)

Coidzor
2014-01-26, 09:30 AM
Some people, especially those that are using the dragon magazine variant that comes with a mount, who run games with Scouts in them or who play as Scouts conveniently disregard the errata for Skirmish that says they can't use it if mounted, or are blissfully unaware of its existence.

sideswipe
2014-01-26, 09:35 AM
Some people, especially those that are using the dragon magazine variant that comes with a mount, who run games with Scouts in them or who play as Scouts conveniently disregard the errata for Skirmish that says they can't use it if mounted, or are blissfully unaware of its existence.

honestly, scouts are pretty bad, not awful, but not great.

allowing them mounted skirmish isn't really game breaking. so even if its official that they can't I would house rule it.

Coidzor
2014-01-26, 09:39 AM

allowing them mounted skirmish isn't really game breaking. so even if its official that they can't I would house rule it.

I'm all in favor for it. :smalltongue: It's one of the errata that I most commonly see as people feeling it should best be disregarded. Possibly the most commonly purposefully disregarded errata.

Drachasor
2014-01-26, 03:23 PM
In 3.5 the FAQs are not rules. They are attempts to clarify rules for people that have trouble with them, and 95%+ of the time they do this. If they disagree with the rules or errata, then you ignore them. They change nothing.

In PF their FAQs are rules, which is a mess.

MilesTiden
2014-01-26, 03:25 PM
I'm all in favor for it. :smalltongue: It's one of the errata that I most commonly see as people feeling it should best be disregarded. Possibly the most commonly purposefully disregarded errata.

I would say that the entirety of Complete Psionics might give it a run for its money. :smalltongue:

Agent 451
2014-01-26, 03:34 PM
We tend to ignore the nerf to the Talenta sharrash in the ECS errata.

MilesTiden
2014-01-26, 06:06 PM
Divine Metamagic was also errata'd, IIRC. It didn't make it too much less broken, but most people play the unchanged version.

Irk
2014-01-26, 06:14 PM
You can only have one astral construct shaped at a given time. I know you specified no psionics, but this one is just so mind numbingly frustrating; there are s few ways to get around it.

Snowbluff
2014-01-26, 06:17 PM
We tend to ignore the nerf to the Talenta sharrash in the ECS errata.

What did they do?! D:

MilesTiden
2014-01-26, 06:18 PM
You can only have one astral construct shaped at a given time. I know you specified no psionics, but this one is just so mind numbingly frustrating; there are s few ways to get around it.

Hence, Complete Psionic. The only real thing I like that came out of it were the Ardent and Synads.

Karnith
2014-01-26, 06:20 PM
What did they do?! D:
It got reduced from having a crit range of 19-20/x4 to 19-20/x2.

Also, it's not really notable and there's no point in ignoring it, but did WotC really need to issue errata for image captions?

Snowbluff
2014-01-26, 06:25 PM
It got reduced from having a crit range of 19-20/x4 to 19-20/x2.

T^T But halflings on velociraptors with scythes! Wah!

Irk
2014-01-26, 06:27 PM
Hence, Complete Psionic. The only real thing I like that came out of it were the Ardent and Synads.

And of course the official-ization of the [in]famous StP Erudite

Rubik
2014-01-26, 06:30 PM
I would say that the entirety of Complete Psionics might give it a run for its money. :smalltongue:That's not errata. Errata is free and doesn't require anyone to pay for it. At best, CPsi "errata" is a list of suggestions on changes to make, but it's not errata.

The official XPH errata is here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/ExpPsiHdbk_Errata02062006.zip)

Irk
2014-01-26, 06:34 PM
That's not errata. Errata is free and doesn't require anyone to pay for it. At best, CPsi "errata" is a list of suggestions on changes to make, but it's not errata.

Perhaps the most common misconception is that the helpful augmentation to the game graciously provided by CPsi is errata.

Rubik
2014-01-26, 06:39 PM
Perhaps the most common misconception is that the helpful augmentation to the game graciously provided by CPsi is errata.No. Not even sarcastically.

Sith_Happens
2014-01-26, 06:56 PM

On the flipside of this, someone who's never read the Complete Adventurer errata might never know that Scouts have Disable Device as a class skill.

Telonius
2014-01-26, 07:30 PM
Complete Arcane had some pretty important errata on the Warlock's Eldritch Blast.

Irk
2014-01-26, 07:48 PM
No. Not even sarcastically.

I only meant the blue part to be sarcastic. You may as well swap it for 'changes to the game made'.

Seerow
2014-01-26, 07:52 PM
Wildshape's Errata.

Vintrastorm
2014-01-27, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the answers! I'll look some of this up, but it seems that there aren't any critical misses regarding errata so I think we'll be fine. ;)

Just gonna check up on that wildshape errata. :)

Studoku
2014-01-27, 09:06 AM
The Tome of Battle errata was so disregarded that it was disregarded by everyone responsible for writing it.

Coidzor
2014-01-27, 10:53 AM
On the flipside of this, someone who's never read the Complete Adventurer errata might never know that Scouts have Disable Device as a class skill.

Oh, yeah, and the errata for Dragon Shaman adds at least one of the knowledge skills they're supposed to have.

Wildshape's Errata.

That's the one that moved it from being based on polymorph to being based on alter self, right? And is already incorporated into what's on d20srd.org?

*Only started playing after that change was made in the first place, IIRC*

Karnith
2014-01-27, 11:17 AM
That's the one that moved it from being based on polymorph to being based on alter self, right? And is already incorporated into what's on d20srd.org?
Based on Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), not Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), but otherwise correct, yes. It was part of WotC's decision (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060216a) to get shapechanging magic/abilities away from relying on Polymorph.

It's also handy in that it makes you look up the errata for the Monster Manual, because old-style Alternate Form was also based on Polymorph.

Coidzor
2014-01-27, 03:15 PM
Based on Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm), not Alter Self (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/alterSelf.htm), but otherwise correct, yes. It was part of WotC's decision (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060216a) to get shapechanging magic/abilities away from relying on Polymorph.

It's also handy in that it makes you look up the errata for the Monster Manual, because old-style Alternate Form was also based on Polymorph.

...I have no idea how I managed to flub that one. XD Yeah, Alternate Form's what I meant, right Vegeta?

Good to know there's not another errata floating out there of which I've been unaware. XD

Seerow
2014-01-27, 03:53 PM
...I have no idea how I managed to flub that one. XD Yeah, Alternate Form's what I meant, right Vegeta?

Good to know there's not another errata floating out there of which I've been unaware. XD

Nah. And going from the SRD it's not bad.

Sometime, just for fun, go pull up the actual errata file, and a physical PHB, and have fun trying to piece it together. It's a mess.

Chronos
2014-01-27, 03:54 PM
Some of the cleric's combat buffs got heavily nerfed by errata. As printed, Righteous Might gives you +8 Str, +4 Con, and Divine Favor maxed out at +6 to attack and damage. In the errata, those bonuses are all halved.

But since all of the core errata is incorporated into the SRD, some folks are probably completely unaware of the pre-nerfed versions.

Coidzor
2014-01-27, 04:02 PM
Nah. And going from the SRD it's not bad.

Sometime, just for fun, go pull up the actual errata file, and a physical PHB, and have fun trying to piece it together. It's a mess.

I knew there was a reason why I loved that site.

Just trying to do that with the megaraptor and an old Monster Manual was fun enough for me. XD Maybe if I make it into a group exercise though...

KillianHawkeye
2014-01-27, 04:11 PM
The Abjurant Champion's AC boosting ability doesn't work with Mage Armor.

Rubik
2014-01-27, 04:31 PM
Sometime, just for fun, go pull up the actual errata file, and a physical PHB, and have fun trying to piece it together. It's a mess.I took my XPH and some Post-It Notes, and wrote the errata on the notes to stick on the appropriate pages.