PDA

View Full Version : D&D Etiquette

Yomega
2014-01-26, 06:56 AM
Hello all I am failing on my google foo tonight I am trying to find a thread I saw a while back on etiquette for D&D it had things like "Do not exceed the DMs cheese limit" and "Make a competent character" or something of that sort.

It may be a long shot but does anyone know the post Im talking about? And if not what written "unwritten" rules do you have regarding etiquette?

Darrin
2014-01-26, 08:32 AM
Hello all I am failing on my google foo tonight I am trying to find a thread I saw a while back on etiquette for D&D it had things like "Do not exceed the DMs cheese limit" and "Make a competent character" or something of that sort.

Sounds like The Gentleman's Agreement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14498283) by TuggyNE.

Slipperychicken
2014-01-26, 01:21 PM
Some things off the top of my head:

-Try to run character concepts by the GM, ensure he approves of your character long before the first session. Ideally you should submit not only your characters' mechanics/build ahead of time, but also at least a rough personality outline and a few sentences about backstory.

-Talk to your group about PvP, and figure out where the lines are, if any. In addition to outright combat and murder, this includes things like lying to other PCs, stealing from them, raping them, foiling their personal goals for amusement, and all manner of shenanigans, humiliations, and betrayal. Figure it out before any of this stuff happens IC, it will save you much trouble. If your group hasn't established such boundaries (or lack thereof) yet, then refrain from this stuff until you do.

-Try to be somewhat mature. The occasional bit of phallic humor is acceptable, but try not to get weird about it. If you name your character "Boba Fett" and start sodomizing characters in their sleep... chances are you're being That Guy and should probably leave, even if you think "that's what my character would do".

-Try not to metagame too much. Stabbing people simply because movie tropes indicate they're villains (like having a goatee and being named Count Garfamel the Red Whoring Bastard) is not sporting at all.

-Don't cheat, ever. Not even then.

-When you find quest hooks, it is generally expected that you follow them, and have some IC reason to follow them. Intentionally taking the GM bend over backward to get you into a dungeon isn't polite.

-Treat the GM and his creations with some degree of respect. Murdering questgivers and burning down cities simply to throw the GM for a loop is frowned upon, even if you have some half-baked in-character reason for it. If he set up a mage's guild campaign, starting it, then spontaneously running to the opposite side of the map is inappropriate.

-Try to show up a little early, around 15 minutes before the declared start time should be fine. I know that sessions rarely start on time, but punctuality conveys respect. Additionally, this allows you to do things like look up rules and music, socialize with anyone else who isn't late, and generally get comfortable long before the game begins.

TuggyNE
2014-01-27, 01:39 AM
Sounds like The Gentleman's Agreement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14498283) by TuggyNE.

Indeed! If it wasn't that, though, try the Manifesto (http://home.earthlink.net/~duanevp/dnd/manifesto.htm).