PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Ranger Fochlucan Lyrist Tier?

roguemetal
2014-01-26, 11:01 AM
I'm playing in a Tier 3/Tier 2 campaign, and my DM is generally concerned my build is Tier 1. But since we can't reach a consensus, we're hoping the board can help.

As far as I can tell it's Tier 2 due to Sublime Chord use, and maybe with more utility due to hybrid Gish/Lyricist ability, but there's nothing to push it into Tier 1 status. Arguably the Mystic Ranger is Tier 1 in early levels, but since the DM won't allow the use of Sword of the Arcane Order until I reach level 8, and I'm one level slower due to my bard level, I doubt that's the case.

Human
Bard 1/Mystic Ranger 8/ Fochlucan Lyrist 1/Sublime Chord 1/Fochlucan Lyrist 9

(Using Ring of Evasion to gain Evasion,
Druidic has been gained through Spontaneous Summoner followed by Greensinger Initiate, putting me in a Druid enclave without being Druid, thus providing willing Druids to learn the language from,
1st level arcane casting gained through Alternative Spell Source)

Combat Style is TWF, using Arcane Strike (coupled with Alternative Spell Source, and a Quarterstaff) to decent effect.

Note:
Mystic Ranger: Dragon 336
Alternative Spell Source: Dragon 325

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2014-01-26, 11:09 AM
Note that Arcane Strike only affects one end of a double weapon per activation, as double weapons always treat each end as a separate weapon for all effects that would modify a weapon. You should have gone with the Strong-Arm combat style in Dragon 326, for two-handed Power Attack + (Wand of) Wraithstrike.

According to the Tier System for PrCs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=sbjqld3cn5kbt6f4huk7u6vmv5&topic=5198.0), Sublime Chord is Up Two Tiers, and Fochlucan Lyrist is Up One Tier if you gained it without any caster level loss. You would have to be using nothing but Tier 5 base classes to stay within a Tier 2 or lower range.

Piggy Knowles
2014-01-26, 11:12 AM
Note that Arcane Strike only affects one end of a double weapon per activation, as double weapons always treat each end as a separate weapon for all effects that would modify a weapon. You should have gone with the Strong-Arm combat style in Dragon 326, for two-handed Power Attack + (Wand of) Wraithstrike.

According to the Tier System for PrCs (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=sbjqld3cn5kbt6f4huk7u6vmv5&topic=5198.0), Sublime Chord is Up Two Tiers, and Fochlucan Lyrist is Up One Tier if you gained it without any caster level loss. You would have to be using nothing but Tier 5 base classes to stay within a Tier 2 or lower range.

Eh, I really don't buy the tier system for PrCs. A sublime chord probably qualifies as tier 2 even if you qualify with a tier 5 class, while a tier 3 that takes levels in it doesn't automatically become tier 1. That being said, I do agree that this is mystic ranger fochlucan lyrist would do fine in any party of tier 1s.

roguemetal
2014-01-26, 11:21 AM
Two votes for Tier 1 are enough to convince me.

I have rebuilding to do it seems.

OldTrees1
2014-01-26, 11:43 AM
You cast as
{table=head]
Level |
Spell List |
0th |
1st |
2nd |
3rd |
4th |
5th |
6th |
7th |
8th |
9th

1 | Bard | 2
2 | Rgr | 2 | - | - | - | -
3 | Rgr | 2 | 1 | - | - | -
4 | Rgr | 2 | 2 | - | - | -
5 | Rgr | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
6 | Rgr | 3 | 2 | 2 | - | -
7 | Rgr | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
8 | Rgr | 3 | 3 | 2 | 2 | -
9 | Rgr/Wiz | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1
10 | Rgr/Wiz | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 2
11 | Sor | | | | | 2 | 1 | - | - | - | -
12 | Sor | | | | | 2 | 2 | - | - | - | -
13 | Sor | | | | | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | - | -
14 | Sor | | | | | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | -
15 | Sor | | | | | 3 | 3 | 2 | 1 | - | -
16 | Sor | | | | | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | -
17 | Sor | | | | | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | -
18 | Sor | | | | | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 2 | -
19 | Sor | | | | | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1
20 | Sor | | | | | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 2

[/table]

In other words: You are a Tier 2 Sorcerer that is 2 levels behind and have the BAB of a Fighter 2 levels behind.
Although you are briefly a Tier 1 Wizard that is 2 levels behind.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 12:54 PM
I'd say you're Tier 2, but Sword of the Arcane Order does make you very briefly Tier 1 before Mystic Ranger caps out.

Also, the PrC tier system is ok, but it doesn't literally mean you go up in tier when you take those PrCs. It's a comparative thing.

How are you qualifying for Fochluchan Lyrist early, by the way? Primary Contact?