PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to hear your ideas on a backup PC...

sniffies
2014-01-26, 01:18 PM
Hi guys,

I'm currently a str/cha dragonborn battle cleric in a very fun 3-man campaign, along with a fighter (def) and ranger (striker). I have no plans to get myself killed, but should the worst happen, I want to have a backup prepared. It will likely be another leader, unless a TPK happens.

The guy I'm playing now is a war vet, full of pride, and quite intimidating. I', looking to go in a different direction next time! I'm just as interested in story as mechanical builds, so hit me with anything! Thanks!

Calen
2014-01-26, 01:40 PM
The curious rune priest/artificer (either could work I think) that is more interested in his arcane sciences than anything else.

A bard who thinks that the rest of the group is going to make a legend and s/he wants to be there to write the saga.

GPuzzle
2014-01-26, 02:33 PM
An insane Shaman that thinks he's a dog.
Wait, I'm actually making a character like that.

sniffies
2014-01-26, 04:00 PM
The curious rune priest/artificer (either could work I think) that is more interested in his arcane sciences than anything else.

A bard who thinks that the rest of the group is going to make a legend and s/he wants to be there to write the saga.

I dig the flavor of an arcane scientist. Do you think a hybrid wizard be workable?

An insane Shaman that thinks he's a dog.
Wait, I'm actually making a character like that.

This is hilarious and amazing.

Daracaex
2014-01-26, 04:58 PM
I dig the flavor of an arcane scientist. Do you think a hybrid
Probably not. =\

wizard be workable?
Even moreso. Hybrids are already shaky. Hybridizing a leader with a non-leader will limit you to one healing power per encounter, which makes it harder to be effective in your role. This sounds especially important since you only have three PCs in your party.

You can create the same flavor by just going Artificer, however. It's the leader created to BE the arcane scientist, and its healing infusions are actually quite cool. They not only have several functions, but they also net the party 2 free healing surges since using the power does not make the recipient spend a surge and you start with two after each extended rest. Then you just refill those two using donated surges during short rests.

Jigürd
2014-01-26, 06:21 PM
I have been thinking about these three for a while

- Nerdy artificer archaeologist/scientist/brainyperson who knows all languages.

- Metalhead bard, complete with focus on Lightning and Thunder powers.

- Vryloka Warlord who is a former Admiral who fights wearing his Parade Uniform.

Tegu8788
2014-01-26, 06:26 PM
Actually, it makes for a pretty solid hybrid, and given that they are lacking a Controller, adding in some Wizard makes for a great addition. The both have the same Primary and Secondaries, with perfect synergy it's hard to go wrong. You won't be as good a Leader as a pure Artificer for certain, but you will be a much stronger character, and with Wizard control, you won't need as much healing.

GPuzzle
2014-01-26, 06:36 PM
I was also thinking of a Warlord that is a Full Metal Jacket expy.