PDA

View Full Version : Movement at mach 1.5

Immabozo
2014-01-26, 02:23 PM
So, I know part of this idea is controversial to some of you, but I stand by it.

So we take a cheetah, slap the Paragon and mage bred. Since this cheetah falls under the very broad generalization of any carnivore (cause even unique creatures fall into the category of "any") now we use it as a basis for a lycanthrope.

Now the tycanthrope can never, by RAW, take the templated form of his animal half.

BUT, if this is an afflicted lycanthrope, after taking a bunch of damage, is FORCED to make a control shape check to not be forced into animal form. Voluntarily fail this save, and then you are this beast.

Level 1 of monk and level 1 of barbarian also give +10ft movement each. I am unsure if they would affect you outside your normal form, but they are class abilities and not a base speed. So I would think they would.

So, base speed of a cheetah is 50 ft, + 10ft from magebred, + 10 from Barbarian, +10 from monk, x3 from paragon, x10 from cheetah, x4 from the run action. So the speed you reach is 2400, and 9,600 from the run action.

At 1,126 feet per second, sound travels 6,756 feet in a 6 second round. You are now traveling at mach 1.5!

Granted, a cheetah, by RAW, only the speed increase when making a charge. But, still, it's a silly idea.

A giant squid can jet at 340 feet, not sure if that is eligible for the same shennigans though, cause it is a "full round action" to move 340 feet.

And please dont take this as anything other than a silly idea.

WhamBamSam
2014-01-26, 02:39 PM
I don't think it's kosher to make that lycanthrope. Even if it's afflicted, it has to be afflicted by something else, and somewhere along the line you need to break the lycanthropy rules regarding templated animals.

But since that cheetah should have an Int of 17 after applying Paragon, it can take class levels. So the Paragon Magebred Cheetah Ex-monk 1/Barbarian 1 is a valid CR20ish creature, though not a valid PC. Any ECL 20 party worth their salt should be able to kill it or capture it for breeding/research purposes without any real trouble, but that's not really the point.

Immabozo
2014-01-26, 02:57 PM
I don't think it's kosher to make that lycanthrope. Even if it's afflicted, it has to be afflicted by something else, and somewhere along the line you need to break the lycanthropy rules regarding templated animals.

But since that cheetah should have an Int of 17 after applying Paragon, it can take class levels. So the Paragon Magebred Cheetah Ex-monk 1/Barbarian 1 is a valid CR20ish creature, though not a valid PC. Any ECL 20 party worth their salt should be able to kill it or capture it for breeding/research purposes without any real trouble, but that's not really the point.

As far as the templated lycanthrope, I am unfamiliar with that which you speak of. If you mean you cannot use the alt. form ability to assume a templated form, that is why the controlled shape check. you are forced into the form. And since the specific rules trump general, you have broken the rules, by strictly following the rules.

Personally, I tend to think that since an animal cannot have more than int 2 and paragon specifically does not change type, I read it as int is capped at two.

However, you bring up an excellent point about the higher int allowing the creature to take class levels, assuming that the int is not capped at two.

Zweisteine
2014-01-26, 05:44 PM
Monks get their speed bonus starting at 3rd level, not first.

I remember doing something similar to this with my friends. Eventually, we got to the point where we said "screw it, your speed can go up to the speed of way too fast."

We used travel devotion (lets you move as a swift action a few times), some sort of partial cheetah transformation (or maybe used shapechange to be a cheetah). The run feat was probably involved, as was the dash feat.

Maybe we used the Cheetah's Speed feat: use wild shape to get the cheetah's speed and faster charge for a while.

Of course, we ended up above level 20, but we didn't use epic spell shenanigans at all.

Warning: Anything below here may include minor math errors, and incoherent/poorly organized thoughts.

Druid 5/Barbarian 1/Monk 18 with Cheetah's Speed, Travel Devotion, Run (to go for more rounds), Dash, and Speed of Thought. Base speed with everything active is 165. If you charge, you can move 1,815 feet in one round. And that was just what I remembered quickly.

If you go into epic (non-casting) shenanigans, here's another one:
Duskling Druid (druidic avenger variant) 18/Ranger (wild shape/barbarian speed variant) 1/Barbarian 1/Monk 18 with the Quick trait.
Feats: Dash, Speed of Thought, Travel Devotion, Cheetah's Speed, Gargantuan Wild Shape (epic), Colossal Wild Shape, and Magical Beast Wild Shape (epic feat).
Your speed modifier, before activating any abilities is +135 (+10(ranger)+10(barbarian)+10(druidic avenger)+5(dash)+90(monk)+10(quick)). Activate Speed of Thought for another +10, and Cheetah's Speed for the faster charge. Invest 5 essentia (from whatever source you can get) into your racial speed boost for +25 speed.
Wild shape into the Tarrasque, gaining its Rush ability. For one round, your base speed is 250 (kind of; technically, your speed is set to 250, which would not let this work). With modifiers, your speed is 410. Charge, and use your swift acction to move again, courtesy of Travel Devotion. You have just moved 4,620 feet. That's about 70% of the speed of sound.

Never mind that last one: class boosts probably don't apply in wild shape. Oh, and monk only gives +60, not +90. You'd need monk 27 for that. I clearly am not thinking clearly.
With one interpretation of a rule (tarrasque's rush changes base speed to 250 for a turn), a paragon tarrasque can have levels, and an absurdly high speed as well.
Sticking the boosts I mentioned above (and a few more) (druid 18/monk 27/barbarian 1/ranger 1/cleric 1, feat: divine vigor and what I mentioned above, minus dash)), you can go pretty damn fast.
Base 750 (tarrasque rush x3 from paragon) +10(ranger) +10(druid) +10(barbarian) +10(quick) +90(monk) +10(speed of thought) equals a speed of 900. Now dash like a cheetah, and you move 9000 feet, and use travel devotion to move another 900. If you also take the Half Dragon template and the Improved Speed feat, your speed is 910. That lets you move a total of about 10,000 feet in one round.

Forrestfire
2014-01-26, 05:48 PM
You can go much faster than that with a little bit of stacking cheese (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16594406&postcount=14).

Darrin
2014-01-26, 05:49 PM
The lycanthropy isn't really the problem.

So, base speed of a cheetah is 50 ft, + 10ft from magebred, + 10 from Barbarian, +10 from monk, x3 from paragon, x10 from cheetah, x4 from the run action. So the speed you reach is 2400, and 9,600 from the run action.

The "Run" action and the "Charge" action are both full-round actions, but they are separate and distinct from each other. If you charge, you can't run, and vice versa.

The other issue is D&D multiplication has special rules. When you have more than one multiplier, you "add" them, so (x10)(x4)(x3) = x(10 + 4 + 3) = x17.

80 x 17 = 1360 ft on a charge.

If you're trying to break mach 1, then this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15535646&postcount=34) might be worth a look.

Immabozo
2014-01-26, 11:45 PM
The lycanthropy isn't really the problem.

The "Run" action and the "Charge" action are both full-round actions, but they are separate and distinct from each other. If you charge, you can't run, and vice versa.

The other issue is D&D multiplication has special rules. When you have more than one multiplier, you "add" them, so (x10)(x4)(x3) = x(10 + 4 + 3) = x17.

If you're trying to break mach 1, then this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15535646&postcount=34) might be worth a look.

I had a feeling there fast something I was missing on D%D math. D&D has some silly math. Thanks

Bakkan
2014-01-27, 01:35 AM

It's even worse than that: in D&Dmath (not for multiplication involving real-life measurements), a xN modifier means +(N-1)*100%. So x10=+900%, x4=+300%, and X3=200%, and then you add the percentages, so that

(x10)(x4)(x3)=+900%+300%+200%=+1400%=x15.

So 80x15=1200 ft.

Immabozo
2014-01-27, 02:37 AM
It's even worse than that: in D&Dmath (not for multiplication involving real-life measurements), a xN modifier means +(N-1)*100%. So x10=+900%, x4=+300%, and X3=200%, and then you add the percentages, so that

(x10)(x4)(x3)=+900%+300%+200%=+1400%=x15.

So 80x15=1200 ft.

That seems confusing, but familiar.

The Grue
2014-01-27, 04:42 PM
Ahem.

RAW, sound (and light) cross distances instantly. Ergo, it is not possible to exceed or even meet the speed of sound because said velocity is infinite. There is no Mach 1.5. There isn't even a Mach Anything, because Mach 1 is a speed of (1/0) feet

/thread

Immabozo
2014-01-27, 07:14 PM
Ahem.

RAW, sound (and light) cross distances instantly. Ergo, it is not possible to exceed or even meet the speed of sound because said velocity is infinite. There is no Mach 1.5. There isn't even a Mach Anything, because Mach 1 is a speed of (1/0) feet

/thread

RAW mentions nothing about the speed of sound, nor does it light. If RAW doesn't say something about it, the real world physics, mechanics and such apply. RAW doesn't mention gravity, does it? Unless it is certain spells or other planes.

The Grue
2014-01-27, 07:51 PM
RAW mentions nothing about the speed of sound, nor does it light.

You're right, it doesn't. At least not directly. The rules for light and vision, and the rules for the Listen skill, do not mention any delays between the event and its propagation of information.

How does RAW typically work with regards to things that aren't in the rules?

EDIT: Better question: If you're allowed to be silly with your thread, why am I not allowed to be equally silly in my reply? :smalltongue:

Immabozo
2014-01-27, 08:18 PM
You're right, it doesn't. At least not directly. The rules for light and vision, and the rules for the Listen skill, do not mention any delays between the event and its propagation of information.

How does RAW typically work with regards to things that aren't in the rules?

EDIT: Better question: If you're allowed to be silly with your thread, why am I not allowed to be equally silly in my reply? :smalltongue:

I never said it was unwelcome or I looked upon your post in any unfavorable light. So great ideas come from silly shenanigans, just look at all the silly threads that are filled with "I am actually gonna build that!" or "I am so going to use that" posts. Who am I to discourage?

And the rules of physics work just fine, gravity, speed of light, sound, laws of physics, etc, except when contradicted by RAW or, most often, spells. The physics of other plains are only specified if different.

That is why you get some very silly stories from the DM who "DM-ed for all his physics major buddies" who come up with things like this

http://i.imgur.com/Gfq4q.jpg

Vaz
2014-01-27, 11:13 PM
A Monk Bloodstorm Blade with all the TWF chain, and +16 BAB in whatever manner necessary. Hasted, with additional arms, etc.

It throws itself around the battlefield. Each attack has a maximum range of 100ft.

Find ways of getting as many extra attacks (100 attacks needed in a round to make the 10K requirement) as you need; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595

Just target 5ft squares, and you're fine.

That's my favourite way of supersonic movement.

Immabozo
2014-01-28, 01:12 AM
A Monk Bloodstorm Blade with all the TWF chain, and +16 BAB in whatever manner necessary. Hasted, with additional arms, etc.

It throws itself around the battlefield. Each attack has a maximum range of 100ft.

Find ways of getting as many extra attacks (100 attacks needed in a round to make the 10K requirement) as you need; http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7066595

Just target 5ft squares, and you're fine.

That's my favourite way of supersonic movement.

That is hysterical