PDA

View Full Version : Everybody loves (waa?) Raymond

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-25, 01:08 PM
Ok could somebody who liked this show please explain? I watched a few episodes and the jokes were quite possibly the most predictable and shallow that I've ever seen in a major sit-com. Every joke was a "I love you ma... when you fall down the stairs" cue manic laughter.

Anybody?

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-25, 01:12 PM
Sorry I am with you I never got that show. It seemed to me they spent the entire time screaming at each other.

TinSoldier
2007-01-25, 05:24 PM
I enjoyed the show, but I couldn't explain why. It kind of grew on me after awhile.

ray53208
2007-01-25, 05:30 PM
i never watched it. in part because my name is ray and i hate the lame jokes about everyone/no one loving me. it was the same with the lemonheads song "a shame about ray". meh.

musicnerd
2007-01-25, 05:30 PM
Marie and Frank (Raymond's parent's) were awesome and his brother was funny. Raymond and his wife were only funny when interacting with other characters, which was my problem with the show. All they did was fight. I didn't understand why they were married.

zachol
2007-01-25, 09:47 PM
Meh. I just like it.

I am almost always amused when I watch a random episode of Raymond.
I honestly cannot quantify it.

Then again, I only watch it when I'm otherwise feeling exhausted and just want to laugh and not really pay attention, and it happens to be on.
I rarely watch tv anyway - if I wanted to be amused by "cleverness," I wouldn't watch tv.
They're predictable and shallow jokes, but occasionally I want predictable and shallow, and Raymond tends to have predictable jokes that amuse me.

Deaddude
2007-01-25, 10:10 PM
Probally The Worst show I have ever seen. My mom likes it but my dad and I Hate it! Tho the old dude is cool...lol.

TinSoldier
2007-01-25, 10:20 PM
I think a lot of the attraction of the show is seeing situations that you may have experienced in your own family or in people that you know.

It's probably much funnier if you are married and have lived near by your parents.

Nightmarenny
2007-01-26, 02:26 AM
ELR is the antithisis of the standard "Marriage where the girl is always right and the man is insensitive and retarded" show. I hate it.

GuesssWho
2007-01-26, 02:31 AM
Marie and Frank (Raymond's parent's) were awesome and his brother was funny. Raymond and his wife were only funny when interacting with other characters, which was my problem with the show. All they did was fight. I didn't understand why they were married.

True. But they grow on you, you know?

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-01-26, 12:54 PM
Meh. I just like it.

I am almost always amused when I watch a random episode of Raymond.
I honestly cannot quantify it.

Then again, I only watch it when I'm otherwise feeling exhausted and just want to laugh and not really pay attention, and it happens to be on.
I rarely watch tv anyway - if I wanted to be amused by "cleverness," I wouldn't watch tv.
They're predictable and shallow jokes, but occasionally I want predictable and shallow, and Raymond tends to have predictable jokes that amuse me.

But there are clever intelligent shows on TV, they are certainly the minority of shows but they are there. TIVO helps with that a lot because then it doesn't matter when the show is on you can always watch it later. Most of the stuff I like is on when I'm at work or asleep.

Jerthanis
2007-01-26, 01:05 PM
ELR is the antithisis of the standard "Marriage where the girl is always right and the man is insensitive and retarded" show. I hate it.

Wait... are you saying that ELR breaks out of the traditional sitcom narrative of "Marriage where the girl is always right and the man is insensitive and retarded" and you hate it for that? Or do you mean ELR is the ultimate expression of that stereotype? Because from what I've seen it IS that kind of show.

JadedDM
2007-01-26, 03:08 PM
I never saw what was funny about the show, either. My girlfriend insists it's funny, but I sit and watch it, and I feel nothing. This is very odd, as under normal circumstances, I'm the one who finds something funny and she doesn't.

Then again, I never for the life of me thought Friends was in any way entertaining. It was just like Seinfeld, but predictable and dull. But everyone raves about that show.

TinSoldier
2007-01-26, 04:11 PM
But there are clever intelligent shows on TV, they are certainly the minority of shows but they are there. TIVO helps with that a lot because then it doesn't matter when the show is on you can always watch it later. Most of the stuff I like is on when I'm at work or asleep.I have Dish satellite but I'm not paying extra for the normal channels -- I get them off air. Therfore I almost never watch them.

However, ELR is in syndication. I do usually watch other stuff, though.

And I don't have a TIVO.

Wait... are you saying that ELR breaks out of the traditional sitcom narrative of "Marriage where the girl is always right and the man is insensitive and retarded" and you hate it for that? Or do you mean ELR is the ultimate expression of that stereotype? Because from what I've seen it IS that kind of show.I think that Nightmarenny meant to say "epitome".

zachol
2007-01-26, 06:20 PM
All I have are the local channels.
That is, five options.

It's not worthwhile for me to pay whatever ridiculous price they want for sat.
I even used to have it, and I don't miss it.

starwoof
2007-01-26, 06:26 PM
I like the show, in general. There are some laugh out loud moments but mostly I just get a chuckle out of Peter Boyle. He's pretty much the reason to watch the show.

Im just horribly sad becuse Peter Boyle died in december. T_T He was one of my favorite actors.

Nightmarenny
2007-01-26, 11:21 PM
*looks up antithisis*

Ok I suck. epitome was what I ment.

0wca
2007-01-26, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I agree. That show is just mediocrative bull****. Like Seinfeld.

The only thing I find funny about it, is the Grandpa-Grandma fights. :smallbiggrin:

Artanis
2007-01-27, 12:33 PM
I always thought Everybody Loves Raymond was tolerable enough, but not really worth going out of my way for. It wasn't until recently that I gained a newfound appreciation for it: like Zachol, I currently only get the basic channels, so during dinner, there isn't a whole lot to choose from...and my roommates chose Still Standing.

Every. Single. Night.

Compared to the mind-blowing retardation of the characters on THAT show, seeing Marie and Frank arguing is like watching a witty and sophisticated philosophy debate between two Mensa members, full of big words and subtle nuances.

*shudder*

FdL
2007-01-28, 05:37 PM
Mediocre stuff. Like most shows today, it rips-off a lot from Seinfield, which was a clever, funny show any way you look at it.

Mr. Moon
2007-01-28, 08:55 PM
I suppose it's just an aquired taste. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I love it. Especialy Ray and his brother - they remind me of myself and my brother.

AmoDman
2007-01-30, 10:58 PM
I used to watch this show because it was literally the only damn thing on ALL the time on The WB. It was ridiculous. The WB grabbed syndication rights and went frickin crazy with it. 12 o'clock? ELR, 4 o'clock? ELR 3 am? ELR!

But really, the show does grow on you a little...eventually. But IMO, it's actualyl exhausting. The characters...agh, there's so much fighting. ALL - THE - TIME. I, too, could not COMPREHEND why the title character and his wife were married. I do not think there was a single sincerely spoken kind word spoken between them the entire run of the series.

Thank God for Yes, Dear and King of Queens. Once The WB got rights to those it was more than ELR 24/7...but by then I was moving on to college and no longer paying for TV ;).

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-01-30, 11:11 PM
I've never actually seen an episode, never piqued the smallest bit of interest. But yes, you're right it NEVER goes off. Honestly, at least three channels, look at the lineup, its I Love Raymond for 4 hours straight, then Friends, another show I don't give two quacks about.

Maelstrom
2007-01-30, 11:27 PM
I will fetch you a hair off the great Cham's beard, do you any embassage to the Pygmies, rather then hold three words conference with this Harpy

This pretty much sum's up that horrid wretch of a woman that is Ray's "wife"... I am certainly not a chauvinistic man, but anyone speaking to me like that would find themselves on the fast track to Outsville.

Now aside from that horrid example of matrimonial "bliss", there occasionally some chuckle moments that I have seen in the few glimpses I've seen on it while surfing...but those were quickly erased by the laugh track...God, I hate mindless drivel...