PDA

View Full Version : Insane Building Theory: I know EVERYTHING!!

malonkey1
2014-01-26, 03:23 PM
I was reading about optimization, and what classes were good for dipping, and I had a pondering: Is it possible to have a viable build while never taking more than one level any given class? Not necessarily high-op or even mid-op, just "viable"? And how might one go about this?

Slipperychicken
2014-01-26, 03:39 PM
I believe Pzbreakmycampaigns CoDZilla build was almost entirely 1 dips, with I think only one class repeated, although I have trouble finding it now.

Karnith
2014-01-26, 03:59 PM
I believe Pzbreakmycampaigns CoDZilla build was almost entirely 1 dips, with I think only one class repeated, although I have trouble finding it now.
It's over here on BG (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3084.msg96174#msg96174), and it does have 2 levels of Binder.

Palanan
2014-01-26, 04:35 PM
Wasn't there a joke version of this in one of the April issues of Dragon magazine?

Karnith
2014-01-26, 04:44 PM
Wasn't there a joke version of this in one of the April issues of Dragon magazine?
Dragon Magazine #342 (April 2006) had an article on the Ecology of the Adventurer, written from the point of view of a kobold shaman. It contains stats for Morgan Ironwolf, an advanced adventurer, who is a Human Barbarian 2/Cleric 1/Fighter 2/Monk 2/Paladin 2/Ranger 2/Rogue 2/Sorcerer 4/Assassin 1/Shadow Dancer 2.He's as unimpressive as you might expect

Palanan
2014-01-26, 04:59 PM
Okay, not quite the same. I just remembered that the guy seemed to have one of everything.

Kaje
2014-01-26, 05:02 PM
It's over here on BG (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3084.msg96174#msg96174), and it does have 2 levels of Binder.

It also has 1 level each of three different cleric variants.

Uncle Pine
2014-01-26, 05:21 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9215621&postcount=6?
9th level divine spells and 7th level arcane spells sounds good for a character with levels in 20 different classes.

JaronK
2014-01-26, 09:04 PM
Some basic ways to do this:

1) Bloodlines work great with this. For purposes of abilities that are based on class level (including caster level, but not spell slots per day or things like that), a Major Bloodline adds +3 for all classes in your build.

2) Using the super cheesy Dragonblood Substitution/Dragonwrought Kobold trick, you can dip Sorcerer 1 for +3BAB and huge saves, and Cleric 1 for +6BAB. Note you're actually taking the last substitutions (Cleric 9 and Sorcerer 7). This can be a bit confusing for some, but it works because Dragons auto qualify for anything that requires the Dragonblood subtype, so you can take Dragonblood Sorcerer 7 without taking Sorcerer 6 first. Note this still gives you only 1 level of Sorcerer or Cleric casting, because that's based on the number of levels you have, but the BAB and saves get spiked up.

3) With #2 above and Loredrake + Greater Draconic Rite of Passage it's possible to qualify for casting PrCs with only a single Sorcerer level, since you can get 2nd level Arcane Spells and a very high BAB very quickly (though you need to be level 6 before you have 2nd level spells). This can allow you to have solid Sorcerer casting by dipping PrCs rapidly without ever taking more than one level of each class.

JaronK