PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Picking a Class (3.P)

Perpetr8r
2014-01-26, 07:18 PM
Ok so I had an idea but I dont know what class gives me most of or all of what I want.

The character I want to play is a pirate by trade, charming and a truly talented liar. He is good with a cutlass and isn't afraid to pull a pistol now and then to deal some damage before sliding into melee with his cutlass or whatever he has at hand.

He has magical powers that compliment his love of getting into fights and of course his lies and diplomacy checks. While he likes to inflict damage with his weapons more he wouldn't say no to a few ranged damage magics or whatever to help himself escape or make the first move.

Fortuna
2014-01-26, 07:19 PM
I think the Beguiler, from Player's Handbook II, suits your needs well.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-26, 08:50 PM
While Beguiler is indeed very nice it fails on the second half. It gets the charming and lies down but is no where near good for any form of combat, either ranged or melee. It has a poor BAB, only good Will saves and only Rapier and Shortsword for melee weapons outside of simple.

Its an idea but I would like to see if there is anything better.

Callin
2014-01-26, 09:00 PM
I built an inquisitor with close to those same skills once. Used a rapier instead of cutlass. Gunpowder inquistion and some sort of other subset that gave misdirection bonuses. Like wisdom to cha skills. It was fun to play.

Zweisteine
2014-01-26, 09:09 PM
Duskblade might be what you want, but I'd doubt it, as it relies on its magic for melee.

Perhaps a multiclass between Beguiler and a more pirate-y class (there was a thread about those recently). Rogue, Factotum, Swashbuckler, and the like would do the job well.

Of course, if you're multiclassing, using wizard for the magic might be a better idea, if you can get a way to wear armor and cast.

Perpetr8r
2014-01-26, 09:10 PM
Isn't there a feat or two to reduce ASF or allow Casting in armor?

Zweisteine
2014-01-26, 10:04 PM
There are a few feats, and special armor's, all of which a little google-fu will find you.

I believe that the more well-known feats require pre-existing ACF avoidance, though (they just let you wear heavier armor than you already can).

Seharvepernfan
2014-01-27, 04:16 AM
I was gonna suggest Magus, but they don't have Bluff or Diplomacy (easier to fix in PF, though). Rogue with UMD could do it.

DMVerdandi
2014-01-27, 09:50 AM
Bard.
Spellcasting, check
Medium Bab, check
Proficiency in shortsword and rapier, check
Bluff and diplomacy as skills, check

Pick up arcane strike for melee shenanigans.

Tommy2255
2014-01-27, 09:53 AM
I like Swashbuckler. Swashbucklers are the coolest and they doesn't afraid of anything.

I think there's actually a Dread Pirate prestige class too, so you could be super piratey for your whole build.

You can dip into something for magic if you really need to.

Xerlith
2014-01-27, 11:23 AM
Yeah, that's basically a bard. Inspire Courage should cover all your fighting needs. You may want to grab the Dread Pirate prestige class, but that's not really needed. Bard/Warblade may be a good choice as well.

Nihilarian
2014-01-27, 03:27 PM
Seriously, Bard is perfect for this concept. Take a looksee through archetypes and alternative class features and I'm sure you'll find plenty to suit your needs.

Seharvepernfan
2014-01-27, 06:47 PM
The problem with bard is that they don't do any actual damage with their weapons (short of DFI or other shenanigans). I said rogue because at least they get sneak attack.

YossarianLives
2014-01-27, 06:57 PM
Definitely a bit of bard. But also take levels of rogue or beguiler.

Maybe both

~Nye~
2014-01-27, 07:59 PM
Hey,
People are saying on here, bard is a good idea, if built well, you can do a lot of ridiculous stuff. I would recommend that.

You can always take the gunslinger class, and be a bit of a daredevil, or you could go as far as taking the 'holy gun' archetype for the paladin in pathfinder. Iirc, they lose spellcasting, but double check that, as I can't quite remember.

I would recommend just being a Gunslinger (mysterious stranger archetype for charisma and interaction skill synergy) and then dipping beguiler, you should have alot of interesting abilities. I imagine somewhere there is a class your could PrC into, Just try and find something that gives spellcasting progression and something that's like *add existing class features* so you get grit progression. The complete champion is great for this kinda thing. That book is so silly. I wish I could help more, I was helping a friend with this idea because he loves this Korean Grind MMO called Granada Espada where his favourite character wields a sword and a gun, I can't really remember what build we created in the end...

DaTamarin
2014-01-27, 09:02 PM
I second the thought of being a factotum. They can fit basically any of your needs

Rubik
2014-01-27, 10:04 PM
How about a changeling racial ACF rogue 2/factotum 8/chameleon 10? Replace everything you don't want in rogue (and that you gain via factotum) with ACFs.

Alternately, as mentioned, bard. Lots and lots of bard, along with PrCs you like that can be reflavored as needed. They do quite well, and can do basically everything you want them to.