View Full Version : Warlock prestige question

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 08:32 PM
Is there any prestige class that mixes fighter and warlocks together?

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 08:34 PM

There aren't really any prestige classes that mix Fighter with anything, since Fighters don't really have any class features that advance.

If you mean classes that make a Warlock good at melee combat (a Gish is the usual term), then they qualify for a few of the ones that casters can get, though not most. I've heard good things about Cyran Avenger. Note that since Warlocks get 3/4 BAB, they don't need as many PrCs to be decent melee.

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to build a BBEG that is an absolute beast, but he's also a sorcerer or something that taught a powerful sorcerer to use magic for a game.

I don't want to Gestalt him though. :/

I know that Abjurant Champion comes to mind that mixes fighter and arcane in a sense, but something like that.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to build a BBEG that is an absolute beast, but he's also a sorcerer or something that taught a powerful sorcerer to use magic for a game.

I don't want to Gestalt him though. :/

I know that Abjurant Champion comes to mind that mixes fighter and arcane in a sense, but something like that.

Wait, so why did you ask about Warlocks? If you want a Sorceror who's good at mixing melee and magic, just google the word Gish. You're bound to find lots of useful build elements.

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 10:00 PM
Warlocks are Arcane casters right?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-01-26, 10:18 PM
No, they are invocation users. If you want magical melee follow Urpriest's advice and look for gish guides.

For example. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8786)

SiuiS
2014-01-26, 10:22 PM

Yes and no. The eldritch knight works beautifully for this, but warlock itself does not qualify you for Eldritch knight. Man, that was a hell of a game though~!

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 10:38 PM
No, they are invocation users. If you want magical melee follow Urpriest's advice and look for gish guides.

For example. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8786)

Someone was telling me that Warlocks can enter prestige classes wizards and sorcerers can. I still don't understand how that would work since Arcane spell levels and Invocations are not the same thing.

I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

I was thinking:

Barbarian 01
Battle Sorcerer 01
Barbarian 08
Abjurant Champion 05
Battle Sorcerer 05

For a 20 level build.

Never mind, that's Arcane. :(

Kaje
2014-01-26, 10:40 PM
Open your Complete Arcane to page 18. It's right there.

SiuiS
2014-01-26, 10:40 PM
Ah.

Warlocks do not have spells but do have a caster level. Prestige classes which have a requirement for caster levels, can be taken by a warlock. Prestige classes which have level of spells, cannot, because they don't have spells. I'll find some examples, hold on.

Here we go.

•Easy Qualification: It is relatively easy to become an eldritch knight. Prospective eldritch knights must comply with only two criteria. First, they must be able to cast 3rd-level arcane spells

From Eldritch Knights with class D&D article. Note that to qualify for this prestige class, you need to be able to cast 3rd level arcane spells; Warlocks do not do that.

The acolyte of the skin, however, requires just a certain arcane caster level, which a warlock does have.

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 10:42 PM
Open your Complete Arcane to page 18. It's right there.

I don't have that book. :/

Kaje
2014-01-26, 10:43 PM
How are you trying to use a warlock then?

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 10:46 PM

I messed up, sorry. I'm tired, haha.

But yeah, put "Warlock" where "Battle sorcerer" is.

Dammit, that won't work either... Give me a minute. -_-

I suppose I could Gestalt them and be cheap about it.

Kaje
2014-01-26, 10:47 PM
I Have No Idea What's Going On

Edit: Weird. Did you know this forum doesn't allow all caps?

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 10:50 PM
I Have No Idea What's Going On

Edit: Weird. Did you know this forum doesn't allow all caps?

I'm sorry, I forgot how to D&D for a while.

I'm having a huge debilitating brain fart right now. :(

OK! (angry face to myself) So I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to qualify for Abjurant Champion.

I need access to Shield or Mage Armor as a spell.

If that canbe managed, I'm good I think.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-26, 10:53 PM
{{scrubbed}}
Read this:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708

nedz
2014-01-26, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot how to D&D for a while.

I'm having a huge debilitating brain fart right now. :(

OK! (angry face to myself) So I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to qualify for Abjurant Champion.

I need access to Shield or Mage Armor as a spell.

If that can be managed, I'm good I think.

Fun fact: Mage Armor is a Conjuration and so is not effected by any of AC's class features.

Gamereaper
2014-01-26, 11:23 PM
Fun fact: Mage Armor is a Conjuration and so is not effected by any of AC's class features.

It's being allowed.

Gamereaper
2014-01-27, 12:31 AM

I was going to supplement the fighting aspect of it as a Gish, he's not a blaster.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-27, 05:46 AM
I was going to supplement the fighting aspect of it as a Gish, he's not a blaster.

Read this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159708)

Kaje
2014-01-27, 08:30 AM

Yes, my point was how are you using a Warlock if you have no access at all to Complete Arcane?

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-27, 09:10 AM
Oh my god.

How is this so confusing?
It's not just me, right?

bekeleven
2014-01-27, 09:15 AM
Oh my god.

It's not just me, right?

If you think this is confusing, try wandering into the thread before remembering gamereaper is on your ignore list.

[..]
No, that doesn't work
[..]
No, that doesn't work
[..]
[..]
Read this guide on how to make that work!
[..]
With a cow?

Chronos
2014-01-27, 10:04 AM
I think that Gamereaper meant to ask about sorcerers all along, and just got confused for some reason and said "warlock" instead. In which case, you need to look up "gish", as others have mentioned.

nedz
2014-01-27, 11:36 AM
Are we sure he didn't mean Cleric ?

Cleric 4 / Warlock 1 / Eldritch Disciple 10 is a good melee Glaive lock.

Petrocorus
2014-01-27, 11:38 AM
Their are several gish (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868042/Character_Build_Spotlight:_Gish) handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321715) out there. You can look into it.

You can look into my sig, i have a compilation of pally build, several of them are arcane gish.

The most common one being the Sorcadin:
Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8

If Sacred Exorcist doesn't fit the fluff, there are other PrC with mid BAB and full casting, but most of them have difficult entry requirements.

Urpriest
2014-01-27, 11:55 AM

Yes, but obviously not all Arcane casters are warlocks. Substituting in Warlock for Sorceror or vice versa isn't really a plausible mistake, even on a "brain fart" level. Which one did you mean?

If you meant Sorceror, the answer is easy, and involves googling the term "Gish".

If you meant Warlock, the answer is easy, and involves googling the phrase "melee warlock handbook".

The reason the answer isn't the same is because, while many Arcane PrCs work for Warlocks, many don't, due to the rules in Complete Arcane that you are already completely familiar with because it's 2014.

Gamereaper
2014-01-27, 01:28 PM
Are we sure he didn't mean Cleric ?

Cleric 4 / Warlock 1 / Eldritch Disciple 10 is a good melee Glaive lock.

How does that work? Warlocks need Lesser Invocations, which start at level 3.

Yes, my point was how are you using a Warlock if you have no access at all to Complete Arcane?

I have the Warlock info, but not the book itself.

Oh my god.

It's not just me, right?

Sorry about last night guys, cocaine is a hell of a drug. Just kidding. Seriously, I'm really sorry.

The confusion started with myself confusing Sorcerers for Warlocks when I read the wrong tables on top of not sleeping for almost 3 days.

I read the Melee Warlock Handbook as well as the Gish Handbook.

What I am looking for is a barbarian with capability in magic.

Runescarred Berserker is out because it's 3.0 sadly.

Dr. Azkur
2014-01-27, 01:40 PM
I officially quit this thread.
Go easy on the nose candy, mate.

Gamereaper
2014-01-27, 01:54 PM
Eldritch Disciple (Complete Mage, pp. 53-57) requires the ability to use least invocations, which are available at Warlock 1. Moreover, Warlocks don't get access to Lesser Invocations until Warlock 6.

Hmmm... I was reading something on another post saying that the CL in each class in a Theurge was 3 levels behind, maybe just one of them at least. I don't know.

Ok then, maybe going Eldritc Disciple may work, I'll give it a go.

Valwyn
2014-01-27, 02:11 PM
Just go Warlock 20. It worked for Gannondorf (http://community.wizards.com/comment/20753806#comment-20753806). :smalltongue: (And make sure to place ranks in Perform (Organ).)

Stay away from elves with fairies, though. :smallannoyed: