PDA

View Full Version : Templates Which Add Hit Dice

Rubik
2014-01-26, 08:41 PM
I'm looking for templates that add HD and ways to stack them up.

So far I know that the lycanthrope template adds Animal HD equal to the HD of the animal the lycanthrope can change into, which is applicable only to humanoids and giants, and you can only take an animal within one size category of you, which means no gnome were-elephants. You can also stack multiple lycanthrope templates of different animals, if desired, which means you should finish up on the animal that gives you the alignment you want to end up with.

There's also the multiheaded template, which adds 2 HD per head added.

Are there any others you know of? They're fairly rare, but I'm sure there's more than just these two.

Urpriest
2014-01-26, 09:16 PM
Warbeast adds some HD. Slap it on the animals you're feeding into Lycanthrope, at a cost of never being able to actually change form.

shaikujin
2014-01-26, 11:45 PM
You can also stack multiple lycanthrope templates of different animals, if desired, which means you should finish up on the animal that gives you the alignment you want to end up with.

Can you tell me more on this?

I've considered taking LA0 templates like Dragonborn and Unseelie Fey repeatedly to get all the abilities. But have not considered Lycanthropy due to the RHD.

How does it work? Would a werewolf/were-tiger have both wolf and tiger HD?

Rubik
2014-01-26, 11:48 PM
Can you tell me more on this?There's nothing about gaining the lycanthrope template that precludes you from acquiring another, different strain of lycanthropy, so you can take, say, wolf lycanthropy, then follow it with raven lycanthropy. You still have to accept the animal HD and LA, but it's doable.

I've considered taking LA0 templates like Dragonborn and Unseelie Fey repeatedly to get all the abilities. But have not considered Lycanthropy due to the RHD.It takes some finagling, but racial HD can be a good thing. Level retraining, anyone?

How does it work? Would a werewolf/were-tiger have both wolf and tiger HD?Yep.

shaikujin
2014-01-27, 12:18 AM
Nice!

Would the template that allows you to get RHD by eating other creatures be useful for your purposes? I think the template is called "Chosen of Bane". Away from books and PC, so I might have misspelled the name.

Also, Half-Giant entry in the back of Expanded Psionics (or was it Complete Psionics?) that gives it a racial HD from 1-20, which gives fighter levels at level 1 and from 3-20.

You gain character level based feats and stat increase 1 level later, eg feat at level 4.

Add in gestalt with normal classes/PRCs. So the character gains feats at 3, 6, 9 etc on the normal class "side", and gain feats at 4, 7, 10 on the RHD side.

Not sure if it works though. But if it does, maybe there's a way to make use of this.