PDA

View Full Version : Enhancement for flurry of blows

questionmark693
2014-01-26, 09:57 PM
Can I get an enhancement for my weapon to let it be used for flurry of blows?

shaikujin
2014-01-26, 11:33 PM
A monk can only flurry with weapons that are "special monk weapons".

I haven't found any weapon property that does this directly.

1 method is to give your weapon the morphing propert and morph it into a monk weapon. But probably not ideal.

Another method is to get one of the feats (like pole master or whirling steel in the Eberron books) that allows you to flurry with a specific weapon, then give the weapon the Aptitude property (in Tome of Battle).

Shou disciple (Unapproachable East iirc) allows flurry with light and martial weapons depending on how many levels you take.

There's also a Chrysanthemum Sword in one of the Dragon magazine that can be flurried with. I can't remember which issue though. If DM allows, you can reverse engineer the cost of that ability and add it to your weapon.

I think there's also a weapon that does something similar in Weapons of Legacy but I might be mis-remembering. I have an impression that Bones of Li Peng might be the one, but it's probably a nunchuck.

I'm hoping someone finds a different way though. Esp if it's simply/cheaper in terms of levels/feats.

animewatcha
2014-01-27, 12:18 AM
chrysanthemum sword. 74315.

Using d20 srd for what can be normally priced.

+1 cold iron, ki focus, bane vs outsiders longsword. Additional automatic flurry property without proficiency pre-req.

cold iron - 600 ( 2 x cost to make masterwork )

+1 magic pre-req before abilities. Additional 2000 due to cold iron
+1 Ki focus. Another additional 2000 due to cold iron.
Normal bane weapon requires choosing a specific bane. +1. Another 2000 due to cold iron.

74315 - 6k due to cold iron ( and WOTC stupidity ) = 68315.

68315 - 630. 67685.

67685 - 8000 from +1 magic and ki focus = 59685.

So you have nearly 60k left to decide how to split it between bane versus outsider ( all ) and monk flurry.

shaikujin
2014-01-27, 05:53 AM
Do you recall which issue of Dragon the Chrysanthemum sword was in?

Was it published anywhere else?

Working out the cost is more difficult than I thought.

A weapon with +6 worth of properties costs 72,000.
I suspect that the author missed out (or winged) some of the costs, esp if it was written during the 3.0 era.

To get 74,315,
Simplest way is 15 gp for longsword, 300 (instead of 600) for masterwork, and a single flat 2k for adding all 4 enhancements to a Cold Iron weapon (which maybe also subsumed the Cold Iron material cost).
Then 72,000 for +6 worth of properties.
Ki focus and +1 base enhancement leaves us with +4. Bane (all outsiders) should be worth more than Flurry. So Bane (all outsiders) is likely a +3, and Flurry a +1.

Fwiw, when trying to work out the costs of unstated properties, my rule of thumb is to try working out the max +X enhancements the cost allows. Then work out the rest of the properties as flat costs. There's no basis for this. I do this because +enhancements tend to make the result more expensive at the higher end and also more difficult compared to flat costs.

If we reverse engineer this using 3.5/SRD guidelines, after deducting the flat costs we know of, we are left with less than 72k. So it's not a weapon with +6 worth of properties. Max is +5 (50k).

Ability to flurry with the weapon functions similarly to feats like polemaster or whirling blade. Feats granted by items have a flat cost of 5k, pus an additional 5k for each prereq that feat has.

Bane (all outsiders) should be a +X enhancement type of cost instead of a flat cost. (Based on the other types of Bane properties).

Longsword is 15 gp.
Cold Iron doubles that, so that's another 15.
Masterwork is 600.

The sword has 4 properties, +1, Ki focus, Bane (all outsiders), and Flurry. Each of them costs 2k extra flat cost due to Cold Iron. So that's 8,000

Since +1 and Ki Focus each costs +1, we're left with +3 left to assign to Bane (all outsiders). +5 worth of enhancements costs 50,000.

74,315 -15 -15 -600 -8,000, -50,000 leaves us with

So using this method, the flurry ability has a flat cost of 15,685.

animewatcha
2014-01-27, 02:55 PM
IIRC 351. Alongside an amulet that gives you deflect arrows, spring attack, and stunning fist as bonus feats ( as long as worn ) for 128k.