PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Unarmed Gish

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-26, 10:20 PM
I recently found out that there is an active Pathfinder club in my school and since I currently lack a RL d20 group I figured out I should contact them. Either way I sent a mail with some inquires and they told me they will be starting an AP relatively soon, so it will be quite likely I can join in the near future (Yay me).

Anyway I recently came up with a character concept that I really want to try, but I am not sure if it would be viable in PF. An Unarmed strike Gish who delivers touch spells via pawnch to the face. So my question is how could I make one?

I'm pretty sure my best bet would be going Aasimar/Tiefling and (ab)use the FAQ ruling that allows racial SLA's to work as spell for Prestige classes pre-requisites and hop into Eldritch Knight ASAP (if anyone has a link handy I'd appreciate it), but if there are other options like some sort of magus I'm all ears. Though I'd prefer it to be first party, since I am not sure on this club stance on 3rd party; I sincerely hope they are open to it since Dreamscarred press and Radiance House have some pretty badass content.

Zonugal
2014-01-26, 11:12 PM
What about an unarmed Magus?

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-26, 11:19 PM
I haven't read the magus' spell list in detail, but the fact that Shocking grasp is such a staple spell for them makes me think they have a rather sparse pool of touch spells.

Psyren
2014-01-26, 11:50 PM
I haven't read the magus' spell list in detail, but the fact that Shocking grasp is such a staple spell for them makes me think they have a rather sparse pool of touch spells.

They have plenty (I count over 50 using the spell DB.) SG is so often recommended because (a) you get it so early, (b) it works so very well with metamagic (particularly Intensify Spell) for most of your career, (c) electricity is a seldom-resisted element and (d) it gets a bonus to hit vs. metal-wielding targets, which can help offset the penalty for casting defensively in melee range.

Note that it gets that bonus to hit (if you qualify) even if you're Spellstriking it (i.e. casting it through a weapon hit), which is essential since hitting regular AC is so much harder.

Hytheter
2014-01-27, 12:19 AM
Yeah, Magus seems like a good bet. Take Improved Unarmed Strike if you can spend the feat, or take 1+ levels in Monk.

1 Level in Monk gets you the Monk's unarmed strike as well a bonus feat and some other decent goodies.
3 Levels gets you another feat and the option to use Monastic Legacy so your Unarmed Strike keeps improving. Monk 3/Magus 17 with Monastic Legacy and a Monk's robe gets you the equivelant of a Level 16 Monk's unarmed strike.
4 Levels gives you a Ki Pool, which you can use interchangeably with your Arcane Pool by taking Ki Arcana. But then I think you lose a whole Magus Spell Level... probably not worth it, but might be fun to look at depending on your group's optimisation level.

1 or 2 levels is probably optimal.

The whole thing of course gets much more appealing if you get permission to import the Kung Fu Genius feat, which let's you use Int instead of Wis for Monk abilities. But, it's from 3.5 and Dragon Magazine, so don't get your hopes up...

Dusk Eclipse
2014-01-27, 12:35 AM
They have plenty (I count over 50 using the spell DB.) SG is so often recommended because (a) you get it so early, (b) it works so very well with metamagic (particularly Intensify Spell) for most of your career, (c) electricity is a seldom-resisted element and (d) it gets a bonus to hit vs. metal-wielding targets, which can help offset the penalty for casting defensively in melee range.

Note that it gets that bonus to hit (if you qualify) even if you're Spellstriking it (i.e. casting it through a weapon hit), which is essential since hitting regular AC is so much harder.

Oh nice, as I said I've never really paid much attention to it's spell list. Do they get multi-touch spell in the vein of chill touch? I know they get elemental touch which seems awesome, but a quick look at the PFSRD says there aren't that many spells. Which engine did you use to search?

Yeah, Magus seems like a good bet. Take Improved Unarmed Strike if you can spend the feat, or take 1+ levels in Monk.

1 Level in Monk gets you the Monk's unarmed strike as well a bonus feat and some other decent goodies.
3 Levels gets you another feat and the option to use Monastic Legacy so your Unarmed Strike keeps improving. Monk 3/Magus 17 with Monastic Legacy and a Monk's robe gets you the equivelant of a Level 16 Monk's unarmed strike.
4 Levels gives you a Ki Pool, which you can use interchangeably with your Arcane Pool by taking Ki Arcana. But then I think you lose a whole Magus Spell Level... probably not worth it, but might be fun to look at depending on your group's optimisation level.

1 or 2 levels is probably optimal.

The whole thing of course gets much more appealing if you get permission to import the Kung Fu Genius feat, which let's you use Int instead of Wis for Monk abilities. But, it's from 3.5 and Dragon Magazine, so don't get your hopes up...

I can probably spare a feat for IUS, the original idea was to use a combination of SUS+Dragonfang gauntlets with multitouch spells (like chill touch) and full attack with them, even if I now target normal AC.

I think if I go with magus I'll go straight magus, that way I can get my shtick working since level 1, though I am not sure.

Hytheter
2014-01-27, 12:39 AM
Oh nice, as I said I've never really paid much attention to it's spell list. Do they get multi-touch spell in the vein of chill touch?

They get Chill Touch.

Here's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spell-lists-and-domains/magus-spell-list) the Magus Spell List. If you think of any other spells you'd like to use just ctrl+F it.

Psyren
2014-01-27, 01:17 AM
Oh nice, as I said I've never really paid much attention to it's spell list. Do they get multi-touch spell in the vein of chill touch? I know they get elemental touch which seems awesome, but a quick look at the PFSRD says there aren't that many spells. Which engine did you use to search?

Download and filter by Magus and Touch. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/tools/spells-db)