PDA

View Full Version : About item creation..

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-27, 08:04 AM
All item creation feats say i have to provide materials cost half the items basic price.
The questions is...
I just go to market, spend X gold on various materials and i'm ok?
what if i have no access to a market? i just erase gold pieces? can i find these materials in the world or i have to spend gold?

unseenmage
2014-01-27, 08:31 AM
The answer to this depends somewhat on how much detail your DM/group uses and on what magics you have access to.

A character with access to the True Creation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/spells/trueCreation.htm) spell, or even Fabricate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fabricate.htm) can make non-magical stuff they need with spells then enchant those things to make Magic Items.

Character's with access to a marketplace can buy the items they want to build, taking much less time but requiring more gp.

Characters without access to a market could potentially find the materials they want to enchant. Changing those materials into the form you want could take the form of mundane Craft checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm), which can take weeks and cannot be used untrained.

It depends on the DM really. If they're limiting access to raw materials for crafting you should ask them if crafting is going to be a viable strategy for this character at this time.

Psyren
2014-01-27, 08:32 AM
Markets are for buying items, not making them. The market is likely to be too crowded/noisy. Typically you want somewhere more secluded.

The creator also needs a fairly quiet, comfortable, and well-lit place in which to work. Any place suitable for preparing spells is suitable for making items.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-27, 08:37 AM
If you have no access to a market (why?) then most DM's will probably not allow you to make any progress toward crafting a magic item until you gain access to one.

Generally, the game glosses over such mundane things for the most part for simplicity's sake.

Crake
2014-01-27, 08:44 AM
Markets are for buying items, not making them. The market is likely to be too crowded/noisy. Typically you want somewhere more secluded.

not sure if this should be in blue...

I'd second the talk to your DM option. This sort of thing has no real RAW associated with it, so it's up to the individual DM. I, for example, make my players go out and find rare ingredients if they want to make something. So for example, if they wanted to make a cloak of charisma, they'd need a bottled kiss of a nymph perhaps, or maybe the passion of a succubus >.> if you know what I mean.

watchwood
2014-01-27, 09:00 AM
Go to the market, spend you gold on components, and then go somewhere secluded to spend you time doing the work.

Chronos
2014-01-27, 10:12 AM
It's also left unspecified in the book just how readily available the needed components are. Yes, we know how expensive they are, but that doesn't mean you can always find them. There probably isn't a shop selling appropriate materials in a sleepy little farming village, and there probably is one in the capital city, but in between, who knows?

unseenmage
2014-01-27, 10:31 AM
It's also left unspecified in the book just how readily available the needed components are. Yes, we know how expensive they are, but that doesn't mean you can always find them. There probably isn't a shop selling appropriate materials in a sleepy little farming village, and there probably is one in the capital city, but in between, who knows?

Well sort of. We do have a total price for the components and we do have Community GP Limits (DMG137, MIC231, AaEG40).

It's terribly abstracted but these do allow us to determine how available given components are, but only based on price, with no fluff direction whatsoever.