PDA

View Full Version : I don't want a familiar.. help

Kerilstrasz
2014-01-27, 08:24 AM
I'm rolling a wizard and i don't want to have a familiar...
i know that most of you will say that it is a second set of actions but i just dont like it.

so.. what choices i have? are there any variants or ways to give away the familiar and maybe get something else?

i'm domain wizard so choices that require specialization are out..
also i don't like the variant that i trade familiar for animal comp.

no homebrew or mags plz.
3.5E

Thnx for your time

Kraken
2014-01-27, 08:28 AM
Immediate magic, from Player's Handbook 2, is quite popular for getting abrupt jaunt. Edit: ah, no specialization. Yeah, pretty sure eggy's right about you only having the one option.

eggynack
2014-01-27, 08:30 AM
It looks like the only thing that meets your criteria is wizard of sun and moon from dungeonscape, page 14. For future reference, and also possibly current reference, you may want to check out the ACF list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7908), cause it's nifty.

TmasterT
2014-01-27, 08:46 AM
pay 50g and retrain it away

eggynack
2014-01-27, 08:49 AM
pay 50g and retrain it away
I don't think that's a thing here. If you want to retrain something, you have to retrain it into something that it could otherwise have been. The question, then, is what the familiar otherwise could have been, and I think that you'll find that it would be more efficient to just have the OP take what it could otherwise have been in the first place, and skip the retraining hassle.

watchwood
2014-01-27, 08:57 AM
If your DM will allow Pathfinder material, you could swap the familiar for a Bonded Item (rings are generally suggested).

Segev
2014-01-27, 09:00 AM
You said 3.5E, so this would count as a "third party" option, but Pathfinder does have an alternative to a familiar for wizards. Arcane Bond (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard#TOC-Arcane-Bond-Ex-or-Sp-) is either a familiar or a "bonded object." I'm not a huge fan of it, and it is PF, but I thought I'd point the option out in case it works for you.

gorfnab
2014-01-27, 09:31 AM
Eidetic Spellcaster (Dragon Magazine #357) - trades Familiar and Scribe Scroll for the ability to carry your spells in your mind instead of a spell book. Works with Domain Wizard. Featured in the Easy Bake Wizard Handbook in my signature.

Rastapopolos
2014-01-27, 09:46 AM
You dont have many options with the conditions you've listed... I know you said no magazine but there is a ACF in dragon that allows you to trade your familiar for an extra feat... Maybe have a word with your DM and see if he is amicable to that. Its not exactly overpowered...

Alternatively you could just pick a familiar you like the abilities of and have it never leave your person or act... Hummingbird is nice it works just as the improved inititiave feat? Ahhh thats dragon too... sorry.. Rat? It doesnt need to fly or anything... And as long as you have it it will give you a +2 bonus for all your skills from aid another.

Seriously there isnt alot thats *worth* changing your familiar for outside abrupt jaunt.

Metahuman1
2014-01-27, 01:14 PM
I have 2 ideas for you.

1: There's a flaw in ghost walk called forlorn. Loose your familiar, gain a feat.

2: If that's not your speed, there's an AFC, I think in one of the Dragon Mag issues, called aligned spell caster. Take Good or Evil, and Spell Focus Good from book of Exulted Deeds/Spell focus Evil from Book of Vile Darkness, and get a +2 to the saving throw DC of basically all your spells.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-01-27, 01:40 PM
I can understand wanting to get something in its place but if you can't find anything, remember that you don't -have- to summon a familiar if you don't want one. At the very least you won't be stuck with a little XP drain waiting to happen if you can't find anything else.

Spore
2014-01-27, 11:25 PM
If your DM will allow Pathfinder material, you could swap the familiar for a Bonded Item (rings are generally suggested).

I will support that notion. Keep in mind that you can enchant your bonded items regardless of known item creation feats.

tiercel
2014-01-28, 12:02 AM
This walks the line of "homebrew" but it IS worth just talking to your DM about this. (The PHB has an explicit discussion of "tweaking the rules" to customize your character on p.110.) In particular, it shouldn't be a hard sell to at least let your character have a bonus feat equal to the special effect granted by a familiar (e.g. a Skill Focus or save-boosting feat).

Other than that, the non-specializing non-animal-companion non-PF non-Dragon-Magazine familiar ACF choices are... yes, very limited.

HunterOfJello
2014-01-28, 12:05 AM
Alternative Class Features IV (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=reqe9d3dsfeg1fpb6d2ieh5og1&topic=7908)

Scroll down to Wizard