PDA

View Full Version : Druid Spell List

Callos_DeTerran
2007-01-25, 04:28 PM
What are some good spells for a 10th level (18) wisdom druid to take? Keep in mind that I'm using the shape shifting variant from PHBII and most likely pick up the feat in Complete Divine to allow me to channel spells into healing. I have access to lots of books but I wanted to keep my selections down to, mostly, desert or cold environments. Frostburn and Sandstorm spells. Like Flesh to Salt and Column of Ice. A few "cheese" spells would be appreciated but I'm not looking for a completely cheesed druid spell list. Keep in mind there is no animal companion or Wild shape!

JellyPooga
2007-01-25, 10:39 PM
Beget Bogun! I just love those little guys!
Wood Wose! Because who doesn't want a nature spirit as a servant?

That's all I got. These two spells are what being a Druid is all about.:smallbiggrin:

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-25, 10:49 PM
Bite of the Weretiger. That's level five for Druids, I think, and gives you a bunch of enhancement bonuses, Power Attack for the duration, natural Armor, etc. When you get access to Bite of the Werebear, take that.

Fax Celestis
2007-01-25, 11:02 PM
Body of the Sun (Drd2) is fun. Earthbind (Drd2) is useful in many many applications. Healing Sting (Drd2) is nifty, like a poor man's Vampiric Touch. Charge of the Triceratops (Drd3) is terrifying when applied correctly. Girallon's Blessing (Drd3), applied to your neighborhood friendly meleeman, is nice. Summon Elementite Swarm (Drd4) has many applications. Freeze (Drd5) is decent for a damage spell. Sirine's Grace (Drd5) is useful for a number of applications, including swimming and bluffing.

And that's just the Spell Compendium.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-01-25, 11:26 PM
Bite of the Weretiger. That's level five for Druids, I think, and gives you a bunch of enhancement bonuses, Power Attack for the duration, natural Armor, etc. When you get access to Bite of the Werebear, take that.

Where's these spells at?

Turcano
2007-01-26, 12:11 AM
I don't know which book(s) they were originally in, but they're also in the Spell Compendium.

Another awesome druid spell is quill blast, a 5th level spell which gives enemies in a 20-ft. burst 4-12 penalties to BAB, saves, and checks, depending on size. It's kind of like enervation-lite for druids.

ImperiousLeader
2007-01-26, 12:45 AM
The "Bite of the WereX" series of spells are from Spell Compendium. Most, however, are not too useful as they provide enhancement bonuses to strength that won't stack with your shapeshifting. One that will, however, is the lower level (2nd, IIRC) "Bite of the Wererat" which will add to your DEX and offer some nice benefits that'll boost your shapeshifting.

Arc of Lightning (4th level) is a decent DD spell, as it has no SR, and has an interesting area of effect.

Greater Resistance (4th) - since you can't use magic items while shapeshifting, I tend to equip shapeshift druids differently. Focus on caster equipment, lots of pearls of power, for example, and use spell slots for defenses. Greater Resistance lasts 24 hours and grants a +3 to saving throws, and stacks with bonuses from shapeshifting. Use that instead of a cloak of resistance.

The_Snark
2007-01-26, 02:33 AM
Miasma, at level 6, is killer against enemy spellcasters. Suddenly, they can't cast spells with verbal components... for the next 3 rounds/level. Because they can't take a breath without suffocating. No save. And depending on how long they can hold their breath, they might end up dying, too; it's basically your caster level v. their Con modifier. It probably won't happen in combat, but it's still fun to know that your enemy is doomed.

Bones of the Earth is an awesome spell... but alas, not very good.

I'm also partial to the Conjure Ice Beast spells, as an alternative to Summon Nature's Ally.

Moon Bolt, level 4, does some decent Strength damage at higher levels.

Druid
2007-01-26, 02:58 AM
Miasma was eratad to have a fortitude save.

Jack Mann
2007-01-26, 04:21 AM
Spellcasters are still weak against fortitude saves.

Or you can combine it with enveloping caccoon. Cast it on someone with a weak reflex, then cast miasma on the caccoon (or even better, baleful polymorph). Dismiss it the next round. Bam, no save on the second spell.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-01-27, 11:14 AM
Another awesome druid spell is quill blast, a 5th level spell which gives enemies in a 20-ft. burst 4-12 penalties to BAB, saves, and checks, depending on size. It's kind of like enervation-lite for druids.

I actually wondered about something with quill blast If its maximized, what part of it is maximised? Just how many quills hit or the damage? Or do both?

Turcano
2007-01-27, 02:57 PM
I actually wondered about something with quill blast If its maximized, what part of it is maximised? Just how many quills hit or the damage? Or do both?

The damage is maximized; the number of quills that hit is a set number that depends on the target's size (although they save for half), so you would need to empower it to increase that part (although widen would probably be a better choice in most cases).

Edit: I looked at the spell again, and the wording is a bit ambiguous; it could either be X or 1dX, in which case that would be maximized as well. Also, the penalties are non-cumulative, which means that the spell isn't nearly as good as I thought it was.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-27, 03:03 PM
Yeah, the quill penalties no longer stack. Quill Blast was very deservedly nerfed.

Leon
2007-01-29, 08:49 AM
Awwww......... i loved that spell

Person_Man
2007-01-29, 03:03 PM
Energy Immunity from the Draconomicon. Can't remember what level it is, but it lasts a very long time and does exactly what you think it does.

Animal Growth + Summon Nature's Ally is classic.

Also, good old Wall of Thorns works well. You have Woodland Stride, most of your enemies do not. When used correctly, this has some amazing tactical benefits.

As a side note, I've seen a Knight's Test of Mettle work wonders when paired with another party member's Wall or similar spells. Unless you summon them on top of your enemy, they don't count as attacks. And while some enemies have ranged weapons, in most cases a smart party can usually force enemies to walk through the walls multiple times, or at least channel enemies so that the party only has to fight one at a time.